Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Good friend asked me the other day... I told him my method...

FF to 11:30 minutes if you want)... guy is kinda irritating.

Asked my WV logger (genuine professional)

He does it differently...

I have used a jack a few times on complex falls...

Mostly bored this AM... waiting on the Colon scope at 13:00

Figured I would stir the pot... and pull Stick out of his hiding hole.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I used to be pretty good at it.

One guy I was surveying for was watching me chainsaw trees off a property line, and asked if I could help him with a problem tree at his house. I went and looked and he had a 24" dead pine tree between his house and separate garage he needed taken out. There was 10 feet between the two buildings.

Told him I would cut the tree if he'd sign a waver freeing me of any liability. He said he would, so I wrote it up, and he signed.

Dropped that tree dead center between the buildings. smile

Got a bit more practice after Hurricane Harvey down here. Mostly big oaks. They pose further engineering issues because most of the time they don't grow straight up, like a pine. You have to factor in the offset weight and what it does with gravity. Some, I wouldn't even try.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't taken down all that many trees, and most I have were to clear our property before we put up any structures so there weren't a lot of things that could have gone wrong.

I have had some hands on tutorials from guys who work trees for a living. One of them pointed me to the below which he said was the best YouTube on the subject. The skinny guy in it was killed by a tree so you know it is legit.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Prefer trees that fell themselves, but that doesn't always happen.

Escape route, muy importante!

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Raeford

Very true. I look at every tree situation differently too. Nobody has a real video of how to fell trees. They have videos of how the fell THAT one. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Raeford

Very true. I look at every tree situation differently too. Nobody has a real video of how to fell trees. They have videos of how the fell THAT one. wink

Good point.

If I'm dropping trees, 99.9% of the time it's firewood for the cabin. Trees being dropped in the woods so other than not getting hung up - there's little other consideration. I do a face cut, come in from the back and let her fall. Select trees that "naturally" want to fall in a decent spot. I'm not manipulating where they land too much.

So for me - it's basically about getting it on the deck. Not necessarily "avoid the swimming pool and house please" like a pro arborist needs to do.

Me

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Read the lean with your felling ax.

Traditional face cut in direction of the fall.

Brush out escape routes.

Back cut with a stump shot. Wedges if needed.

Holler out Tree Coming Down.

Get the fùck away from it.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have some exerience in cutting down trees, starting back when I was young and we were using a crosscut saw. I was a teenager before we got a gas powered saw. I alsot cut a lot of trees, while working on a survey crew for the ADOT. formly known as the AHTD. I have cut down oak trees in the mountain's of North and West Arkansas using a brush hook( what we called them) Kaiser blade/ditch bank blade that size or larger, try that some time, but that was what we had to work with. My point was going to be that we never cut them that high off of the ground. Had a neighbor that was selling some pine trees cut by machine, that they were docking him for butt swell on the logs. Main point is nothing is like it used to be. l miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very true. I look at every tree situation differently too. Nobody has a real video of how to fell trees. They have videos of how the fell THAT one
Best post of this thread. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I search for a local pro. Because it's HIS liability insurance versus mine.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Brush out escape routes.

Pretty much spot on! I fell at least 100 trees a year and have gotten fairly decent at it. Majority are dead Ash Trees thanks to the Emerald Ash Borer. Have put some pretty big trees into some small places. If possible I try to always shoot a pull line into the tree for some mechanical help
just to help insure it goes exactly where I want it. Biggest mistake I see is people making the back cut too deep cutting out too much holding wood leading to an uncontrolled fall instead of properly using wedges OR putting too much pulling pressure on a tree while backcutting which can lead to barberchairs etc

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by marktheshark

Brush out escape routes.

Pretty much spot on! I fell at least 100 trees a year and have gotten fairly decent at it. Majority are dead Ash Trees thanks to the Emerald Ash Borer. Have put some pretty big trees into some small places. If possible I try to always shoot a pull line into the tree for some mechanical help
just to help insure it goes exactly where I want it. Biggest mistake I see is people making the back cut too deep cutting out too much holding wood leading to an uncontrolled fall instead of properly using wedges OR putting too much pulling pressure on a tree while backcutting which can lead to barberchairs etc

I always hated cutting dead trees worse than any other kind.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Don't try to fight gravity or the wind. You will lose!

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
RVB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
WorkSafe BC has good videos on Youtube for BC Falling Standards......

BC Standards

Cheers,

R

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JTrapper73
Originally Posted by marktheshark

Brush out escape routes.

I always hated cutting dead trees worse than any other kind.

These big dead ash trees are a real treat! Felling them whole or cutting from a bucket and dropping pieces are about the only "safe" ways of removing them as I would never climb one and you cant rig off them to lower pieces due to unknown stability of the rigging points. Not to mention they shatter into a million pieces when they hit the ground! Dusty as hell when running through a chipper as well!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Carefully.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Use several wedges on large stuff. Too cheap to buy a $2,500 fifty-ton tree jack. A lifetime faller once suggested I buy a jack and waxed eloquently for half an hour on all of its benefits. When I came back bitching about the price, I asked where/when he'd purchased his. Response was, "Oh, I've never owned one."

Tree jack link

Last edited by 1minute; 07/20/23.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can do just about anything, but when it comes to trees, I drop them by paying someone else whos better at it than me lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I search for a local pro. Because it's HIS liability insurance versus mine.

That's the method I used last Nov. Big pine, could have smashed 2 homes and one outbuilding.

Called the guys ins carrier to make sure he was insured.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (7887mm08, 300_savage, 44mc, 2500HD, Amos63, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,665 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,674
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.