Print Thread
Hop To
A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Has anyone with bad astigmatism had any luck getting it corrected with just a new eyeglass prescription? Red dots are basically useless for me. I have to close my right eye to read anything on my phone, or else I see double. I know I need a fresh eye exam and a new prescription, and will get that done. But can the opthamologists correct bad astigmatism with just eyeglasses?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had terrible astigmatism most of my life. I'm also severely near sighted(I'm 61). Glasses have worked well for me. I had to wear a expensive toric lens in my right eye because of it when I wore contact lenses years ago.

As far as reddots go I have no real trouble.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes glasses can correct it. At least it did for me.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
The correct spectacle prescription, if accurately filled by a competent Optician can focus the light reflected from objects the patient views in most cases. Some people have "Irregular astigmatism" and the spectacle can't correctly focus the light on the retina.

Corneal disease resulting in abnormal distortion such as Keratoconus or keratoglobus or corneal distortion from burns or infections, may prevent a good focus.

Injuries to the eye resulting in crystalline lens scarring (traumatic cataract) or dislocation can't be corrected with spectacles.

Connect tissue disease such as arachnodactily can result in crystalline lense dislocations such as ectopia lentis.

Sclearl disease such a scleromalacia perforans or ruptured globe can result in corneal distortion and blurred vision with the best spectacle rx.

Choroid or subretinal or intra retinal vascular tumors can result in poor focus as can retinal or Choroidal detachment or diabetic retinal disease or macular edema.

Cataracts can also prevent correct focus of light as can many genetic or developmental diseases of the retina.

You did not state your age so I can offer no ideas as to most probable causes other than to see a medical optometrist or general ophthalmologist.

Most all the conditions I listed above can result in monocular ghost or double images.

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/20/23.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Glasses give me 20/20 vision and without them I can't see to drive. Or even see the that my rifle has sights on it

IC B2

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought it could be corrected with laser surgery...Yes/no?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wife has bad astigmatism

Gets good vision with soft toric contacts

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
I'm 52, been in eyeglasses since a teenager. Cant see the broad side of a barn without correction. Strongly left eye dominant although right handed, so I've got that going for me as well. I've been in bifocals for years, but have never had a pair of glasses that seemed to do anything for the astigmatism (or whatever it is).

I will try to find a halfway reputable opthamologist around here and try to get a thorough checkup.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 673

Depends on how much.

If one has several diopters it would probably be better to get " Clear Lens Exchange" (like cataract) surgery with astigmatism correcting Intraocular Lens Implant. That should give good vision without spectacle correction

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have astigmatism as well, but never had any issue's with glasses, they actually saved my eyes from being injured worse than they were a couple times, due to work related injuries.

My friend had it too and had the laser surgery and said it worked well.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. I've had no problem with either glasses or contacts. Fortunately my dominant eye has less astigmatism than my non-dominant.

Originally Posted by 673

Yes it can.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm still almost 20/20, but with astigmatism. Glasses fix the "stiggies" just fine. I could have had correcting lenses put in when I had cataracts done, but since I'd need reading glasses anyway, elected not to. So I wear glasses all the time.

Jagtx may be a fruitloop on many topics, but he is knowlegable about eyes.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had the laser surgery done in 2000. It did not fix the astigmatism. The eye doctor says I have the cataract thing going and someday I will need the new lens put in. I'm hoping that fixes it. It's hell to use iron sights since I see 2 front posts. I just have to pick the right one before pulling the trigger.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by moosemike
Glasses give me 20/20 vision and without them I can't see to drive. Or even see the that my rifle has sights on it

This was me at 12-60 years of age. I have worn Toric Rigid Gas Permeable lens since 28 years old. I recently had droopy eyelid surgery, at age 64, which prevented me from wearing my lenses for two weeks. Thought I'd be blind but surprisingly discovered I could see very well without them, not 100% but reasonably well. An RGP lens is specifically made for astigmatism and will force your cornea to retain a normal shape while wearing them. I guess all those decades of wear changed them permanently toward 20/20.

I can now see so good without them that I go without much of the time. I NEVER go without when shooting at targets or hunting.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 1911a1
I've had terrible astigmatism most of my life. I'm also severely near sighted(I'm 61). Glasses have worked well for me. I had to wear a expensive toric lens in my right eye because of it when I wore contact lenses years ago.

As far as reddots go I have no real trouble.

This is me as well although I'm only 57. Being practically blind does have its perks. Get a sliver, take off the glasses or pull the contacts and get a needle and see up real close and personal and dig that sliver right out with a needle. Need to thread a needle, no problem.
Worst part about it is that the toric lenses are frickin' expensive.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For me it’s been mostly corrected. For years with glasses then later with lasic. It is still there just not bothersome. I think most people are probably similar. If you need reading glasses I might consider not getting lasic. Your often going to be wearing a reading glass anyway might as well just roll with bifocals

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Jagtx may be a fruitloop on many topics, but he is knowlegable about eyes.

You a patient of his ?

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had astigmatism wore glasses them contacts for years. Had lasik when I was 35 should have done it when I was 20…. Look into it.

Hunt...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glasses can correct some major astigmatism rather well. Mine is bad enough Costco won't do the lenses, so I need to go full retail, but for a while there I had 20/15 in one eye, 20/12 in the other corrected, about 20/400 "naturally."

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by auk1124
Has anyone with bad astigmatism had any luck getting it corrected with just a new eyeglass prescription? Red dots are basically useless for me. I have to close my right eye to read anything on my phone, or else I see double. I know I need a fresh eye exam and a new prescription, and will get that done. But can the opthamologists correct bad astigmatism with just eyeglasses?

Yes. I have about as bad as it gets, and glasses have worked for me since 1970. Contacts were a waste of time and money. I could never get them to feel like anything but a dinner plate in my eye. My glasses cost a small fortune to get right. No cheapies for me!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

313 members (1lesfox, 1badf350, 160user, 21, 12344mag, 10ring1, 31 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,080
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.