Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
H5farm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Does anyone know of a good place to hunt unguided in Montana. Like a certain spot or town where a guy could rent a room or cabin and go hunting like national forest or public ground or even some private with tress pass fees without paying over $3k.

I guess what I am asking has anyone ever rented a cabin or room and hunted public or private ground for Elk without breaking the bank? I am planning on going to the Dillon area but I am open to other areas.

I have a general Elk tag for this season and I am just trying to find a good spot to go that doesnt involve guides and huge tress pass fees.

Thanks.

Last edited by H5farm; 07/21/23.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Good luck with your hunt. Take lots of pics and share them with us!

Camp is where you make it.
H
H5farm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Thanks tzone

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's your time frame?

Any interest in areas where you'd need to camp?

H
H5farm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I am wide open. from Oct 20 to Nov 5 any time in there. I am not going to camp per say. I would need a room somewhere but I can always find that if its a good spot.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Its possible. I remember an antelope hunt I went on twenty some years ago in central eastern Montana. I didn't know a thing about the country or where I might stay. I was prepared to camp if it came to that. I had two antelope tags and a deer tag. That was it. I stopped at a mom and pop gas and diner and got to talking to the owner about hunting and a place to stay. He got on the phone and called a rancher he knew and set me up. Then he called a neighbor who rented out a room in his basement once in a while. Worked out great and super cheap. The people were great and treated me like I was adopted. I wouldn't be surprised if there are not still some places like that in Montana. There are still some good people left in the world and that would be a good place to look for them.

Last edited by BlueDuck; 07/21/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Finding Elk close enough to a hotel or cabin to hunt is going to create some limitations for a lot of the areas I have any knowledge of.
That Dillion is probably your best shot, good of luck and enjoy yourself.

H
H5farm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
JeffA

pm sent. Thanks for your comments.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Call up Fish,Wildlife and Parks and ask for the phone number of a game biologist in the area where you want to hunt. I have got my best info from Game Biologist`s and Wardens local to where you want to hunt. Call early in the morning before they are gone for the day. If you leave a message expect that they will not be able to respond right away and they might call during the evening. Make sure you get a Block Management book for where you are going to hunt as soon as they come out.Usually around August 1 st . Places fill up fast so do it as fast as you can. DIY Elk hunts in Montana are not easy ,but if you do due diligence you can be success full. Maybe take a few hunts to get one . Ok ,you got one.Now what? How will you get it out ,dressed and processed ? Not easy my friend. I hope you have at least one partner . Good luck.
FWP contact info below:
Montana Fish Wildlife & Parks

1420 East Sixth Avenue
P.O. Box 200701
Helena, Mt 59620-0701

Phone: (406) 444-2535
Fax: (406) 444-4952
Email: fwpgenmt.gov

Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Keep in mind hunting rugged country can be a ton of work. That work is nothing compared to the work that can begin the moment after you squeeze the trigger.

I did well in the Libby area. That was many years back and I was many years younger.
I wish you luck.

Osky

Last edited by Osky; 07/21/23.

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
Its possible. I remember an antelope hunt I went on twenty some years ago in central eastern Montana. I didn't know a thing about the country or where I might stay. I was prepared to camp if it came to that. I had two antelope tags and a deer tag. That was it. I stopped at a mom and pop gas and diner and got to talking to the owner about hunting and a place to stay. He got on the phone and called a rancher he knew and set me up. Then he called a neighbor who rented out a room in his basement once in a while. Worked out great and super cheap. The people were great and treated me like I was adopted. I wouldn't be surprised if there are not still some places like that in Montana. There are still some good people left in the world and that would be a good place to look for them.

Things have really changed since the last time you went

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by H5farm
Does anyone know of a good place to hunt unguided in Montana. Like a certain spot or town where a guy could rent a room or cabin and go hunting like national forest or public ground or even some private with tress pass fees without paying over $3k.

I guess what I am asking has anyone ever rented a cabin or room and hunted public or private ground for Elk without breaking the bank? I am planning on going to the Dillon area but I am open to other areas.

I have a general Elk tag for this season and I am just trying to find a good spot to go that doesnt involve guides and huge tress pass fees.

Thanks.

you should take a trip and scout before season. Are you humping a back pack now preparing?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ribka

Thanks.

you should take a trip and scout before season. Are you humping a back pack now preparing?

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Your physical condition will either make or break your hunt

Elevation is a big deal too.....Not knowing your home location/elevation

MT or any western state elevations can & will kick your azz if you're a flat lander & not climatized

Good luck......Montana is big sky

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A decent tent/pad/bag combo is not that expensive and can really open up options that cabins and motels cannot. Might need a heater/stove in the tent that time of year.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by WMR
A decent tent/pad/bag combo is not that expensive and can really open up options that cabins and motels cannot. Might need a heater/stove in the tent that time of year.

you can pick up a tent on sale now, put a buddy heater in it and be much closer to the elk for much less than a hotel.

If you're actually interested in seeing elk let alone shooting one. Better hit the hills now hiking with a weighted pack or hit the stair master at you gym with a pack

Last edited by ribka; 07/21/23.
H
H5farm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I have been hiking in my new Scheels boots people here recommended my new pac with a frame comes tomorrow. Sadly I would have to have a camp that has electricity for a cpap machine which really limits my base camp options.

I am sure its going to kick my ass regardless. I plan on coming a day earlier to let my lungs adjust to the air as much as I can.

Last edited by H5farm; 07/21/23.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have been hiking in my new Scheels boots people here recommended my new pac with a frame comes tomorrow. Sadly I would have to have a camp that has electricity for a cpap machine which really limits my base camp options.

I am sure its going to kick my ass regardless. I plan on coming a day earlier to let my lungs adjust to the air as much as I can.

bring a battery for the cpap. Many private campgrounds with electricity too

Last edited by ribka; 07/21/23.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Camping/hunting alone or with bud's ?

Oh yea.......bear spray hasn't been mentioned

Looks like Dillon is 5240' elevation

And up from there to the Elk

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Camping/hunting alone or with bud's ?

Oh yea.......bear spray hasn't been mentioned

Looks like Dillon is 5240' elevation

And up from there to the Elk

But it's a gentle slope up laugh

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (Amos63, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,377 guests, and 780 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,502
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.