Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My experience with select grade beef has been that there is a lot of variation in taste an quality and it is usually kind of tough. This evening I made a fire of pecan wood and some red oak in my fire ring and grilled some select rib eye a little over 1 inch thick. I grilled them hot and fast and left some pink in the center. They were well marbled and were on sale marked down from $11.78 a pound to $6.97 due to going out of date in a day or two. This steak was absolutely as good tasting and tender as I ever ate. I bet most Wagyu isn't any better.

What y'all reckon? Did the grading person mess up? The fat marbling indicated choice to me.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Hastings
My experience with select grade beef has been that there is a lot of variation in taste an quality and it is usually kind of tough. This evening I made a fire of pecan wood and some red oak in my fire ring and grilled some select rib eye a little over 1 inch thick. I grilled them hot and fast and left some pink in the center. They were well marbled and were on sale marked down from $11.78 a pound to $6.97 due to going out of date in a day or two. This steak was absolutely as good tasting and tender as I ever ate. I bet most Wagyu isn't any better.

What y'all reckon? Did the grading person mess up? The fat marbling indicated choice to me.

The out of date aging didn’t hurt any for quality.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
As the old saying goes, “Even a blind hog finds an acorn onct in awhile “ !

Good judgment comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement! 🥴
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Houston_2

I think you might be right on that. It looks good, but might have been breaking down a bit.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The USDA inspector that grades the beef makes one small incision between two ribs and measures the amount of marbling at that exact spot.
It is a good indicator of how well marbled the rest of the beef is, but not a guarantee.
There are lots of other reasons why a choice or even prime animal might not "make the grade'.
Often age is a factor. Any animal over 30 months of age can not be graded choice or prime.
I have beef that was marked no-roll or even commercial that clearly should have been USDA prime, but the animal was 33 months old by the time it got the slaughter.

MOLON LABE
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Select is almost always Mexican or Brazilian beef. My guess is you probably got lucky..... you'll know for sure by the morning.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ok ..I'll give up some real info... Meat ..all things being the same 2 side by side pieces one's bigger one smaller both the same height the one that's bigger and the same price has more fat in it fat = volume.... Take any two pieces of the same stuff ..same same.. hang both over a 3/8th dowel. The one that hangs the best..I mean like a wet rag .. that your friend. ... . I made a lot of money cooking over the years ..my best year was burning though 9 pallets of Kingsford...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Ok ..I'll give up some real info... Meat ..all things being the same 2 side by side pieces one's bigger one smaller both the same height the one that's bigger and the same price has more fat in it fat = volume.... Take any two pieces of the same stuff ..same same.. hang both over a 3/8th dowel. The one that hangs the best..I mean like a wet rag .. that your friend. ... . I made a lot of money cooking over the years ..my best year was burning though 9 pallets of Kingsford...

What about dry aged? Both pieces same size but dry aged one weighs less.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
it's all in what the animal was fed... schit in, schit out... grading doesn't matter much IMO... i haven't gotten lucky with store bought meat in about 20-30 yrs... that said, i have given up trying....

Last edited by 7mm_Loco; 07/21/23.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Select is the bottom 40% of beef. Occasionally select is decent but usually not very good.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This explains the grades of beef pretty good....

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/blog/4454/beef-grades-explained.html

No telling what you got Hastings, even tho USDA inspectors are suppose to check.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We cut our own steaks and the softer the cover the more tender the steak will be. A few other steps to raising really tender beef, don't let the bovine breed or be bred, don't slaughter the animal till it's 3 years old and feed the animal a little daily, not just 6 weeks before slaughter. We have one on the kill list for mid January.....can't wait.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I ate a lot of select beef when I was a bachelor, because it was cheap. Also because the military commissary didn't often get any better grade. Aside from that, I know little to nothing about meat grades. If it looks good, I'll eat it.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't really pay attention to grading. I have learned to "eyeball" the cuts that I prefer. Every now and then, I'll buy a cheap one that disappoints, but that has happened with prime too.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Are you sure it wasn't some marketing wank?

Some companies try to use the words "choice, select or prime" in their advertising to get you to buy their products.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
We cut our own steaks and the softer the cover the more tender the steak will be. A few other steps to raising really tender beef, don't let the bovine breed or be bred, don't slaughter the animal till it's 3 years old and feed the animal a little daily, not just 6 weeks before slaughter. We have one on the kill list for mid January.....can't wait.
How much did they weight then? We always killed our when the got to 1000-1200lbs. IIRC, that was about 18mos.

Been too long, I miss having cattle.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Houston_2

Aged beef - for 40% off.

Win/win.

GR

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by atvalaska

What about dry aged? Both pieces same size but dry aged one weighs less.
water out , taste different...it's a different game .THEY always tell u to ..let rest to let the moisture return / distribute the juices...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The biggest thing to watch out for, is perforating (needle) tenderizing.

Costco does this.

Transfers all the process bacteria down into the meat, so it's like hamburger.

Slab meat - you can sear and then eat essentially raw.

GR

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I got some really good top sirloin at Albertsons the other day for $4.99 a pound. I usually go to Costco and get new Yorks but they are $14/ pound now.

I put olive oil on the sirloins then rabbed them down with blackened seasoning. I gave them a quick hot sear and then slowly cooked them on low with the lid on. Then melted blue cheese crumbles on the top.

My kids used to not like blue cheese but they'll eat it now.

Bb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,193 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,728
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.