Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I own plenty of both and without a doubt I’d do a S&W 629 5, 6 or 6.5”. You can also send it back to S&W and have them do an action job and minimize the b/c gap. Having a stack of Rugers, it’s now on to FA 83s and 97s. A 6” 44 mag in an 83 gets going.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by SS336
I made my choice.
25yds offhand. I’m not as good a shot as Mr. Sagebrush by any stretch of my imagination, but this will do for me.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

what mount did you use for hyour red dot?

Allchin Mini STS Scope Mount.
It works great, about as low as you can get on the revolver. Three screws hold in the rear sight channel after you take the rear sight off. Have one on 2 different S&W’s Great product I think.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here are a couple of .45 Colt Rugers.

First one is an old style, 3 screw .44 SBH that was line bored by Jim Stroh to .45 Colt, fitted with a Shilen barrel. Jim made the front sight, fitted a long steel ejector. It has a steel aftermarket rear sight.

I did the trigger job, put a piece of a nail, cut to length, inside the trigger plunger spring to act as a trigger stop. I fitted the stag grips, installed the Ruger medallions. It's a shooter.

Second is a .45 Bisley customized by Jim Stroh. It's accurate, but can't keep up with the .45 Colt SBH. I did the stag grips/Ruger medallions on that one, too. It's a nice gun, but I like the Stroh SBH better.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Penn Thunderhead 270 gr. bullets put the whack on hogs.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jim Stroh made an elegant front sight.

op: Whichever gun you shoot the best.

my .02, dvnv

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by dvnv
Jim Stroh made an elegant front sight.

op: Whichever gun you shoot the best.

my .02, dvnv
Agree.

The SBH .45 groups tighter and is my fav.

In a strong gun, the .45 Colt will do about anything I want a handgun to do. I can load some fearsome rounds without exceeding the design limits of the gun.

I don’t need or want a more powerful round in a handgun.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Plumdog
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
You could choose any and it would be a good choice.There are shorter barrel lengths that are very accurate (and a bit lighter).

.480 Rugers are a great alternative. With the correct load, one does not need as much velocity as...you used to think.

Owning plenty of double actions, the only thing that is mildly annoying (to me) is that slight delay as the cylinder turns and locks up.

Care is needed when wearing cold weather gloves to avoid inadvertantly touching the trigger to cause a double detonation with the next cylinder bore after sending the first round. My 629 and a friend's 629 have surprised both of us without consequences, thankfully.
School me on how you get a double detonation. I heard of a guy that smacked himself in the forehead repeatedly with a big double action revolver because he kept grabbing the trigger after the first round surprised the crap out of him.

School you?????

Try reading instead of eh holing.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
You could choose any and it would be a good choice.There are shorter barrel lengths that are very accurate (and a bit lighter).

.480 Rugers are a great alternative. With the correct load, one does not need as much velocity as...you used to think.

Owning plenty of double actions, the only thing that is mildly annoying (to me) is that slight delay as the cylinder turns and locks up.

Care is needed when wearing cold weather gloves to avoid inadvertantly touching the trigger to cause a double detonation with the next cylinder bore after sending the first round. My 629 and a friend's 629 have surprised both of us without consequences, thankfully.
School me on how you get a double detonation. I heard of a guy that smacked himself in the forehead repeatedly with a big double action revolver because he kept grabbing the trigger after the first round surprised the crap out of him.

School you?????

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Didn't mean to come across as eh hole, I just really don't know what double detonation is. Does the cylinder turn and fire again so fast you can hardly tell it was two shots?

School you?????

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (AKislander, 300_savage, Anaconda, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, 8 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,574
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.