Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Deans Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
GB1

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Know a bit about scale as I sold and serviced A&D balances for many years .
FX-120i is a true lab balance . It operates with an electro magnetic force restoration weighing cell .
( a coil that floats within a magnet ) Specs 120 grams x .001 gram ( .1grain is .006 grams ) making
it more accurate than your reloads ( which is good )
Because it is very precise it is also fragile. Don't store it loose in a drawer. don't grab it one handed squeezing
the weighing pan and don't drop it. All of those things damage weighing cells which is not covered by
warranty.
Very good quality and highly regarded in the world of lab balances.
Once you enter that world of high precision you learn to treat equipment gently and with care.
Other things that will affect you are static electricity and air draft . Draft shield might be required , grounded static mat ,
or Staticmaster 2U500. Remember not to place balance on unstable surface ( solid table or counter )
Do not use a steel plate as it could have some magnetism which will affect readings.
Calibrate before each use and use a calibration weight of a class which is more accurate than your balance.
I could say more but think you have enough to digest .
Good choice for a balance no knowledge to impart on trickler.
I'm a low volume reloader and use a Lyman /RCBS /Ohaus beam scale ( all Ohaus products )

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Know nothing about the scale - but I was a consultant and was nicknamed the "Cheif Technology Prevention Officer" by a few clients.

The point being, what are you really going to get out of this for the cost? As an example, many clients always felt the need to add on some additional software package because they felt the reporting of the existing apllication was deficient. The new application would cost $350K a year TCO. You can hire a systems analyst for 185K/yr fully loaded cost to produce any report you want

As compared to a RCBS Chargemaster Lite for $300. I simply changed my relloading process slightly and for anything under about 50 grains, I have very limiting waiting time.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ohaus 10-10, used one for years and find them the best for a low volume reloader. Well made and trouble free.

D
Deans Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Goomba777
Know a bit about scale as I sold and serviced A&D balances for many years .
FX-120i is a true lab balance . It operates with an electro magnetic force restoration weighing cell .
( a coil that floats within a magnet ) Specs 120 grams x .001 gram ( .1grain is .006 grams ) making
it more accurate than your reloads ( which is good )
Because it is very precise it is also fragile. Don't store it loose in a drawer. don't grab it one handed squeezing
the weighing pan and don't drop it. All of those things damage weighing cells which is not covered by
warranty.
Very good quality and highly regarded in the world of lab balances.
Once you enter that world of high precision you learn to treat equipment gently and with care.
Other things that will affect you are static electricity and air draft . Draft shield might be required , grounded static mat ,
or Staticmaster 2U500. Remember not to place balance on unstable surface ( solid table or counter )
Do not use a steel plate as it could have some magnetism which will affect readings.
Calibrate before each use and use a calibration weight of a class which is more accurate than your balance.
I could say more but think you have enough to digest .
Good choice for a balance no knowledge to impart on trickler.
I'm a low volume reloader and use a Lyman /RCBS /Ohaus beam scale ( all Ohaus products )

Didn't realize it was that sensitive and fragile. Since I can be a little rough at times, think I will give RCBS scales another look. Thanks for all the help.

Deans

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gets some check weights.

Last edited by smallfry; 07/19/23.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by smallfry
Gets some check weights.

Just me- I've always considered that
an essential tool for a reloader

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Ohaus 10-10, used one for years and find them the best for a low volume reloader. Well made and trouble free.

I wish I could buy a couple more new, in preparation for any future needs.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've been using a 5-0-5 for over 30 years for my low volume (often times no) reloading. It was a step up from the Lee Loader dipper. The cheap Chinese electronic scale I just bought came with a calibration weight. The 5-0-5, the even older Webster, and the Chink all agree to the .1 so if they are wrong, I figure I'm still good as long as I record. smile

Oh yeah - and hang the pans the right way.....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by gunswizard
+1

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
+2 Ohaus

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you can't find a 10-10, the Ohaus 5-0-5 scale is pretty good too. I've been using one for almost 50 years.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I'm not a big fan of the M1000 that replaced the 10-10

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was given a Lyman 1000 almost unused in the box and looked it up on the 'net. I load shotgun shells, so the 1000gr capacity is handy . But in learning about scales, they spoke very highly of the older made in US Ohaus scales. The 10-10 being the holy grail of scales. The current Ohaus scales are considered unrepairible by Ohaus. The 10-10 and the 5-0-5 were both Ohaus scales. Ohaus at one time repaired and refurbished them. There is a guy who does that, and he was very highly recommended. It was interesting to learn they pivot on agates, a fairly common stone jewel . I have a Lee, easily the most sensistive thus accurate, an older 5-0-5 with it's 500gr capacity making it capable of weighting cases and the Lyman 1000. I had to get check weights with that one. It's also the one I most use.

From that research, I would suggest a 10-10 and have it refurbished.

Last edited by downwindtracker2; 07/23/23. Reason: conclusion

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
W
WEL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
This is the cats meow if you need speed and precision. It will weigh to .02 in about 10-15 seconds. A chargemaster is good for .10. It just depends on how much precision you need and how much your time is worth.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe all 10-10's are Ohaus, correct?

Dave

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Older RCBS 10-10 is the same Dave.Not sure about Lyman and what they had.
RCBS and Lyman don't make scales Ohaus private labels them. Not sure who makes some of the others ( like Lee )
Compare the appearance to Ohaus and its easy to tell.
Think you can still buy the Ohaus 5-0-5 which is 500+ grains x .1 grain. Same unit as my Lyman 500
Just found a better deal on the Lyman. If you're gentle with these scales , not to chip an agate bearing
and they should last a good long time.

Last edited by Goomba777; 07/24/23.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Scale choice is a personal thing. For me, after having spent some time measuring out rifle loads on a beam scale, I switched to the FX120 and autotrickler V3. Holy cow, what a massive upgrade in speed and reduction in tedium. It sits on my reloading bench, and functions perfectly every time I turn it on. It is just super easy and accurate. No way would I ever go back to a balance beam.

JMHO

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not all Lyman scales were Ohaus. Mine isn't but I put together a reloading kit for my son and found an Lyman labelled Ohaus 5-0-5 at a gunshow.

I use my scale to set my powder maeasure, when I'm happy with what it throws, I only weight the odd one. I have an adjustable bar for my MEC shotgun shell reloader. Same routine .

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shinbone
Scale choice is a personal thing. For me, after having spent some time measuring out rifle loads on a beam scale, I switched to the FX120 and autotrickler V3. Holy cow, what a massive upgrade in speed and reduction in tedium. It sits on my reloading bench, and functions perfectly every time I turn it on. It is just super easy and accurate. No way would I ever go back to a balance beam.

JMHO

I am toying with the idea of purchasing a Supertrickler...don't like my odds of getting it past Mrs Stuart though.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by shinbone

JMHO

I am toying with the idea of purchasing a Supertrickler...don't like my odds of getting it past Mrs Stuart though.

I just got mine last week. Haven't taken it out of the box yet, but I will here shortly. My old ISD was getting pretty rough so I decided to try out the newer unit. Praying to the Gods it's as good as they say.

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (35, 444Matt, Anaconda, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 8 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.