Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Still non existent in Canada.

Has availability in the USA of Large Rifle Primers improved ?

GB1

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Nope. They come on sights sporadically and nearly always sell out immediately. Small rifle and pistol primers are generally available but not large rifle.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
None around here. I saw some for sale in Hillsboro, OH on a recent trip. They wanted $19.95 per 100 sleeve. I'm not used to prices like this, so I passed. Now I'm wishing I would have bought a few

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LR show occasionally but command high bucks, sell immediately as stated.

Swifty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Skatchewan

Yes, they have improved for availability in my area. But prices need to come down. Good thing I am pretty stocked up. And, no they do not "sell immediately" as priced:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Then at another store:

6 months ago LR primers were non existent.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Skatchewan

Yes, they have improved for availability in my area. But prices need to come down. Good thing I am pretty stocked up. And, no they do not "sell immediately" as priced:

Then at another store:

6 months ago LR primers were non existent.

Good gravy. At least they are there I guess, a guy can always look at them and feel some comfort they at least exist. LR & LR magnum are not showing up here locally. Glad I don't have to buy. I don't know if I can outlast this insanity or not but in hindsight I've bought myself a lot of time to see.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I was in a couple of South African gun stores earlier this month. Plenty of American made primers on the shelves.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Improved? Yes, most certainly.

Back to normal? Nope.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Still zero Large rifle primers in my neck of the woods, I have not seen a LR primer on the shelf in at least three years but its fairly common to see small rifle primers in stock at some of my LGS.....Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It just PO's me to no end that they are selling for 5 times the price they sold for a couple of years ago. $35/thousand was fine but $150/thousand for the same item is bat schitt crazy.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A couple of years ago at the peak of the dearth, it was commonly suggested that prices be raised to discourage hoarders and scalpers from buying up everything. Well, they got their wish, in spades!

I’m one that had a bunch of defective WLRs and received a check as compensation, which with uncommon (for me) foresight I immediately used to buy replacements locally. That occurred right after a previous shortage when dealers had stopped limiting numbers and bricks were stacked high on the shelves. Later I added a few bricks of SR and SPs as finances allowed, not piles, but enough that I’m not constrained. I sold a set of .30/30 dies, some factory ammo and brass locally last Spring and the deal clincher was the $3.00 flat of F210s I tossed in, enough that the buyer could refill the brass at least once. He actually bought just the ammo, then after talking with a handloading buddy, came back for the dies and primers.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are some for sale here in the classifieds....

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A bud at the local SW gun counter told me this morning that today's store delivery will include a big shipment of primers. Said to stop in tonight.

With bells on smile

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Puddle
A bud at the local SW gun counter told me this morning that today's store delivery will include a big shipment of primers. Said to stop in tonight.

With bells on smile
Did he say what the pricing was?

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Well, 2 weeks ago when the local SW switched to allowing purchase of 1 brick of primers a day, the brick of CCI LR cost me just under $95.

I'll see tonight what the happy price is this week.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m thankful I have plenty, haven’t see any large rifle primers in a long time!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
It just PO's me to no end that they are selling for 5 times the price they sold for a couple of years ago. $35/thousand was fine but $150/thousand for the same item is bat schitt crazy.

I agree buddy. It's a good thing most of us stocked up before the shortage. I'm not paying those high prices. I have, however, slowed down a little on my shooting. Just a little.. I'm still at the range 3 times a week, most times.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I was in Grice's gun shop this past weekend, billed as the biggest gun shop in Pennsylvania and I believe it. They're well stocked with every primer you can imagine, except LR's. Prices for all the others run in the $80 range, all you want. LR's (Remingtons in this case) were $10/100, limit two per customer. A month ago when we stopped in they were literally unpacking cases of Remington 9 1/2's behind the counter and told us we could have a brick per customer, $89 as I recall - correct me if I'm wrong on the price if you're reading this Joe. I didn't need any but my pal did so he got a brick and I "straw purchased" a brick for him which will keep him going for a while.

Thank God that between unintended hoarding and being gifted stashes of primers by old pals who are giving up shooting I'm still sitting pretty. But if the situation doesn't improve I'll be standing in line with the rest of y'all. I have an obscene amount of every other primer size except LR's which number only around 10,000. (Hey, 50+ years of handloading and buying components a little in excess of usage finds one with a lot of extra primers on the shelf= "unintended hoarding".)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 45 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,238
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.