Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
One of the (somewhat) local pawn shops has a Savage 110 rebarreled in some sort of proprietary Lazzeroni round, I *believe* 7.82 Patriot...no brass or dies available with the rifle, will probably have to be rebarreled again in order to make it something remotely useful.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Jason280
How would you get powder in that?

.almost looks like the powder was loaded in place, then the cartridge case necked down over and bullet seated.

That's how it was done. The powder was clled cordite.

Yep! I have some .303 ammo loaded with Cordite. In those the "powder" actually resembles spaghettini more than than spaghetti--and far more than "noodles."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
One I messed with way back in the day!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Never had much luck with the "blue barnes bullets" (XLC) in regards to accuracy!

"Not long after the .338 Lapua was introduced, Ross Seyfried quickly wrote of the uncanny similarity of the new cartridge with his mentor’s .338-378 Keith-Thomson, albeit without the latter cartridge’s belt. It appears that Seyfried was closer to the truth than most imagine.

The .338-378 KT was based upon a shortened .378 Weatherby case necked down for .338″ projectiles. R.W. (Bob) Thomson reportedly wanted to use the full-length .378 Weatherby case, but Elmer Keith claimed responsibility for the idea of trimming the case. RCBS made the dies, Keith Francis made the reamers, and Bruce Hodgdon performed the earliest load development

The earliest rifles chambered for the new cartridge were built by Champlin-Haskins Firearms. Keith, Thomson, Bill Jordan, and George Gelman were among the first recipients. Bill Jordan stated that he was there when Thomson and Keith first proposed the idea. Thomson evidently had received his .338-378 KT Champlin-Haskins early enough for a late 1968 hunt. However, Jordan didn’t receive his ‘Keith-grade’ KT, until 1969."

https://scatteredshots.com/2021/11/15/connecting-the-dots-from-the-338-378-kt-to-the-338-lapua/

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 07/29/23.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by TeeBone
I recall M1 carbine conversions to the 22 or 5.7 Spitfire, which I believe used a .224 bullet and the 30 Carbine case.
yes I am doing some googling looking up different stuff and that's exactly what I just found 22 spitfire..

Excellent cartridge, I had a ZKW465 reamed for the Spitfire. 40 gr BT at 3400 fps with AR2205 was no problem and no issues, used the original Brno barrel and it shot very well.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
When you are serious, try finding the components for a Sako factory chambering of 7X33.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel
When you are serious, try finding the components for a Sako factory chambering of 7X33.

7x33 brass

Generally available from a few sources here.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Shrap, if you have a Sako peep sight laying around is there any chance you could measure the widest part of the dovetail, and the outside from side to side.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I can get the measurements when I get home from camping.

I don’t live in Western Australia, so brass is still unobtainium. I had to get it made from 30-30 brass and the bullets had to be hand made with some other stuff…

Originally Posted by JSTUART
Shrap, if you have a Sako peep sight laying around is there any chance you could measure the widest part of the dovetail, and the outside from side to side.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I can get the measurements when I get home from camping.

I don’t live in Western Australia, so brass is still unobtainium. I had to get it made from 30-30 brass and the bullets had to be hand made with some other stuff…

Originally Posted by JSTUART

Rebels is in Canberra...try to avoid the West if you can

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I guess the most unusual chambering I have come across was I rifle I bought many years ago chambered in "240 Olson".
Never heard of another to this day, I did a chamber cast and never figured out what it was formed from. No big deal the barrel was rough anyway and the only reason I bought the rifle in the first place was for the action. A true single shot Whitworth Mauser action with a custom trigger of unknown origin, never seen another like it.
Has spent the last 20 years as a 6mm-284 but the barrel is toast, trying to figure out what oddball chambered barrel to put on it next
how about a 22-284 got a reamer for that. finish reamer brand new never used.
or maybe you want to just bore that barrel and make it a 35-284 got a finish reamer for that

Back in the day I did have a 22-284 several years before the 6mm-284. without question the shortest barrel life of anything I have ever tried. To add to the disappointment velocity was never close to advertised. in this case ( literally) too much is just too much.
On the positive side it kept me from tinkering with the "Eargensplitzenloudenboomer" that is even a worse idea grin

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I guess the most unusual chambering I have come across was I rifle I bought many years ago chambered in "240 Olson".
Never heard of another to this day, I did a chamber cast and never figured out what it was formed from. No big deal the barrel was rough anyway and the only reason I bought the rifle in the first place was for the action. A true single shot Whitworth Mauser action with a custom trigger of unknown origin, never seen another like it.
Has spent the last 20 years as a 6mm-284 but the barrel is toast, trying to figure out what oddball chambered barrel to put on it next
how about a 22-284 got a reamer for that. finish reamer brand new never used.
or maybe you want to just bore that barrel and make it a 35-284 got a finish reamer for that

Back in the day I did have a 22-284 several years before the 6mm-284. without question the shortest barrel life of anything I have ever tried. To add to the disappointment velocity was never close to advertised. in this case ( literally) too much is just too much.
On the positive side it kept me from tinkering with the "Eargensplitzenloudenboomer" that is even a worse idea grin

i always wanted a 22x284 but never built one . but i do have 2 - 6mmx284`s they shoot 4,000 FPS with a 65 gr. Hornady V-Max bullet both are very accurate ,but i am sure both are barrel burners too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 338reddog, 45_100, 406_SBC, 1beaver_shooter, 25 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,915
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.