Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
SD, I have the Lyman and a trick I learned for consistency is orings. Buy several small diameter orings slide one the trigger and then get behind the rifle and dry fire it, move the oring to the top of your finger. Once it's set, verify it's in the correct location, move to the lower oring, same process, once you have the area identified and orings in the correct spot, now it's time to test.

I put the barrel in the rubber jaws of my vise and I get the gauge parallel to the bore, use one hand to pull and the other as a rest to maintain parallel. I close my eyes and listen for the dry fire, never looking. I have repeatedly tested this process using calibrated "fish scales" from work and it has proved to be a very consistent method. I also have "calibration" weights, tungsten squares with a hole in the center, 2lbs 4oz, 2lbs 8oz and 2lbs 12oz, that I use to verify accuracy.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
GB1

BS2 Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I am happy with my bent coat hanger and my Zebco de-liar. It will tell me if I have 7# or a3# trigger. Not good for ounces.

Get close and wack em hard!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's so funny because I did the same thing for 30 years. It's closer than you would think.

Last edited by JD45; 07/21/23.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have the wheeler manual one and it’s pretty consistent. No idea if it’s accurate, but I just measured my favorite trigger a bunch of times when I got it and set everything else to that value. Plenty good enough for my needs.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I learned how to use the Lyman one and get very consistent readings. Going in 20 years now.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Yeah, I’m still looking too. It’s impossible to pull one the same way and same speed every time, which results in dramatically different numbers. There has to be a better way, and or a better tool.

Can someone post a model number for this magical RCBS jobber?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, I’m still looking too. It’s impossible to pull one the same way and same speed every time, which results in dramatically different numbers. There has to be a better way, and or a better tool.

Can someone post a model number for this magical RCBS jobber?
If you are trying to be consistent in your pull speed you are pulling too fast. It needs to be slower than you can possibly go. That old velocity squared thing.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So basically, there is no good trigger pull gauge, unless you hold your mouth just right. It's unbelievable that all of the gunsmiths and gunwriters on here can't even suggest one.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use the one with the weights, not a spring gauge.

Hold rifle pointing up.
hang hook on trigger
place weights on hook till trigger pops.

No it is not without problem but it works up to a few oz.

Never tried it on a 2 oz trigger

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JD45
So basically, there is no good trigger pull gauge, unless you hold your mouth just right. It's unbelievable that all of the gunsmiths and gunwriters on here can't even suggest one.
I’ve come to the conclusion getting a decent, mostly accurate, pull weight assessment involves a substantial dose of alchemy.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I picked up a new Lyman digital a few weeks ago prior to doing some internal work on a couple of my competition triggers. It's proven to be extremely consistent, even at the lower end of the scale (< 3 oz.). It clearly showed the changes after the work.

On triggers from 1-2 lbs, it's boringly repetitive. It's also not as sensitive to technique as my old RCBS. If you do a 10 pull average (my way of checking) and it's not consistent, it's not the tool.

Inconsistent trigger pull weight is often caused by things other than the trigger itself. These things are commonly overlooked.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
SDHNTR,

I agree with you. Used the Lyman digital for at least ten years , but may only use it once or twice a year and seems trickier than it should for consistency. Mine recently quit working and been looking for something better than another Lyman digital, or easier to use may be the way to say it.

I don’t want to pay much more, so it may be another Lyman digital. I have not took time to research what all is out there in that price category, but doesn’t sound like much if any options.

Ozarks

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JD45
I’ve come to the conclusion getting a decent, mostly accurate, pull weight assessment involves a substantial dose of alchemy.

To get a good reading with the Lyman is like shooting groups - all you have to do is do the same thing exactly the same 5 times in a row.

It is not rocket science but it does take a bit of finesse. I have a friend who has the exact same problem as you and on his Jewell trigger he will get readings of up to a 1/2# different, I can take the same gauge and trigger and my readings will be within an ounce.

My method -
1 - Lay the rifle on its side
2 - center the trigger pull hook on the trigger - make sure that it is in the same location of the trigger each time
3 - place your thumb on one side of the gauge and your index finger on the opposite side of the gauge
4 - be sure that you are pulling straight back parallel with the rifle barrel and that the gauge is not at an angle or touching the stock
5 - start pulling straight back SLOWLY
6 - stop pulling on the gauge when the trigger breaks or you will get a false reading
7 - now do the same exact thing 5 times or whatever protocol you decide on
8 - now check your average

p.s. - stabilize the rifle, either using your off-hand or by putting it in a solid rest or vise. Movement of the rifle while checking the pull weight is not a good thing for consistency.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I work with adjustment til it breaks at the sweet point, by feel. I give a sh !t about ounces and such. More important is how consistent the trigger breaks shot to shot.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,537
Posts18,491,415
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.