Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
If anybody recalls I recently culled my arsenal down to a rimfire, high power and shotgun. In order to make my 30-06 the all around rifle I loaded the 200gr Nosler Partition after several endorsements from the 'fire.
Tonight I got a last minute Doe...facing me 40ish yards.Not the biggest doe I've shot, but mature. She ran about ten yards and plowed. While field dressing her I found the bullet under the skin on the inside of the rear leg/thigh. Mushroomed, frontal lead gone, it wreaked havoc throughout the whole deer. I was very impressed...I will admit however that being a newbie to premium bullets I did expect a lenghtwise pass thru smile
I have used Sierra, Remington core-loks, and now the Partition all on whitetail. My conclusion: Just as it took me several years to realize all I needed was the good ol '06 to do most all the hunting I will ever see on this earth, it has taken me just as long to realize no bullet can make up for a less than perfect shot. I know it sounds simple...but I'm one of those silly people that has to learn the hard way.
Oh yea...I'll probably stick with the Partition.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
When logic and common sence come together, you will be comfortable with your decisions. You chose well.

AGW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
How did the bullet look and what did it weigh?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Want a pass thru, move to the TSX. I"ve used Partitions a lot over the years, after a few iffy issues on shots, I moved away from them. Though they are MUCH better than a standard cup and core bullet. I just seem to demand more from performance issues.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The bullet was mushroomed with the frontal lead missing; I have not had a chance to weigh it.

Several years back I shot the biggest doe I have ever seen with a similar shot (facing me) and a 165gr Seierra Gameking. The doe ran about 40 yards and dropped. I never found an exit wound or bullet, but I do know that the damage seemed to be contained to the boiler room, nothing past the diaphram was disturbed. Definately not the case with the Partition....

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
my partner just shot an 8 point thru the chest with bullet winding up under the skin outside the shoulder. It was a 165 grain 30 caliberWW softpoint shot from a Browning BAR at 20 yards. It killed the deer but it was all gone except a 1/4 inch stub. I keep telling him that gas gun steals too much juice from his velocity just to agravate him but he pounds them every year with the thing. I personally am going to start working with the TSX bullet this year. In the .270Win I want to try that 110 TSX to see how many fps I can get and see how it does. That should be a real treat with almost no recoil with that 110TSX but still pleanty of penetration. I am also going to a 150 TSX in the 300WSM.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Your probably lucky that the doe was facing you. That 200 gr Nosler was designed for much bigger game.

When I got my first 338WM I took it deer hunting with the 250 gr partions that I was planning to use on an Alaskan moose hunt. A big old muley buck run across in front of me and I popped him twice with it. It took two days to find that dead buck about a mile away. Both shots had passed completely through him side to side with little transfer of energy. I would have been much better served with a 30-06 with 150 or 165 gr bullets. The .338 did a great job on a big moose though. Knock him off his feet with one shot. Recovered the perfectly mushroom bullet just under the hide on the far side.

One perfectly horrifying line in your post though, is the 30-06 is all the gun you will ever NEED!! What has NEED got to do with it! Have you been talking to my wife? She keeps throwing that NEED word around. smile

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I seem to remember someone saying that in the calibers of .338 and up the Partitions were made tougher than the .30 cal and below.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I believe it had to do with the jacket thickness on their .338 offerings and up. Don't know if it only pertained to the NP or their entire line.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have longed believed (maybe incorrectly) that in the .30 NP line the 150, 165, 170, and the 180 protected point were of a thinner jacket material. The 180 gr NP spire point the 200 and the 220 were designed for heavier game with either harder lead or thicker jackets. The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation puts their endorsement on the 180 NP spire point box, but not on the 180 NP protected point. They may just be a marketing ploy.

The .338 bullets are of heavier material in the 225 and 250 weights, and for sure not really suitable for thin skinned deer. The 210 gr I think is thinner and this weekend we hope to find out how a 338 Fed makes it perform on a cow elk.

But technicalities aside, the important point is Rifles and More hit and killed the deer cleanly and that is all that really counts! smile

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Allen917, Keep us posted as to how the 338Fed does. I used one last year on a cow in Montana. I think that 185TSX is still going!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
As I understand it, the main difference in the Nosler Partitions above .30 caliber is where the partition is placed. In the bigger bores it is moved forward to leave more lead in the protected rear portion and thus give better penetration due to the increased retained weight after the front section is expanded and/or wiped away.

Jacket thickness is adjusted to perform at the expected velosity level or game it's intended to be used on. I don't think (could be wrong as I've not cut one open) the jacket on a 210 grain Nosler is thinner than a .225 or 250 grain.....it's just normally fired at a higher velosity and expands faster because of the speed.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Been shooting Barnes X and now TSX for years. Have accounted for 19 one-shot kills from half dozen chamberings no larger than 280. During that time I have recovered one ONE bullet. That, shot the length of a big northern buck...by a 7/08. Hit in the chest the bullet lodged under the skin of the right hind leg. None of the deer went further than 50 yards. Alas I have nothing to weigh, the bullet is lost somewhere in my junk.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In my opinion, Swift A-Frames are the next evolution from the Nosler Partition. I used 130g and 150g partitions in my .270 for almost 20 years, last 10 or so I've used 150g A-Frames. On deer sized game, it doesn't really matter. On elk or bear I'd go with the Swift A-Frame. I've heard TSX's and North Forks are very good too, never used them ...

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I am proud to report that the Kimber M84 in 338 Fed worked well on a cow elk, Sunday afternoon, with a one shot kill. Unfortuneately the 210 Nosler partition wasn't recoverable. The cow was standing in a shallow gully at about 130 yards and the only target she offered was the upper front shoulder, neck, and head. I opted for the base of the neck and she dropped in her tracks with no trashing. I love clean kills like that. The exit wound was about the size of a half dollar.

As soon as we get her back from the locker plant, there will be green chile elk burgers for all!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, he was not lucky that the 200 Partition expanded on a doe, from any angle. I have probably killed two dozen animals with that bullet, from pronghorn to elk, and it has always expanded. There is no difference in the front jacket construction or the lead alloy on any of the .30 caliber Partitions. The only difference, in fact, in any of the spitzer .30 Partitions (150, 165, 180 and 200) aside from weight is where the Partition is placed. It is farther forward on the 200, the reason that bullets tends to penetrate deeper.

He was lucky--to recover one. The only 200-grain Nosler Partition that has stayed in any animal I've shot was one from a .300 Weatherby that hit a raghorn elk in the butt (finishing shot; the bull had already been hit through the bottom of the heart) at 375 yards. The bullet went up into the chest cavity, where we could not find it. All the rest have been pass-throughs, including shots that hit the shoulder joint on 6-point elk, and lengthwise shots on Montana deer from 125-pound whitetails to 250-pound mulie bucks.

As for TSX's always passing through, I have shot a 200-pound mulie buck in the left hip with a 168 TSX from a .300 Winchester and found the bullet in the front of the chest. There is no guarantee that any expanding bullet will always completely penetrate any animal, though the TSX does penetrate deeper than most.

The question I always have when somebody starts nattering about complete pass-throughs is why is that so important? I hear about blood trails, but I have seen a lot of complete pass-throughs that didn't leave a blood trail, with a wide variety of bullets. A lot depends on the individual animal and the individual circumstances.

Since I have killed ariound 2 dozen animals with the 200 .30 Nosler Partition, and only one stay in the animal, my bet is that it will leave an exit most of the time. It will also seriously screw up in the insides of an animal, even a pronghorn doe. I know this because, unlike some people who judge a bullet by the size of the entrance and exit holes, I always do an autopsy on the stuff in between.

This is not to say anything against the TSX. I have used it (and similar bullets such as the original X, Fail Safe and now the Nosler E-Tip) on sevceral dozen animals. But there is no secret about how to get extreme penetration: Just have the bullet open up to a narrower "mushroom." If you want an exit EVERY time on deer and elk, use a 300-grain solid from a .375.

I have also shot a pile of animals from forkhorn mule deer to eland with the 250-grain Nosler Partition from the .338 Winchester. When tghe animals were hit correctly (almost all were), the animal never went over 50 yards, and usually a lot less. The forkhorn mule deer mentioned went al of 15 yards before keeling over, so I somewhat doubt that the bullet was to blame for a deer going a mile with two chest hits from a 250 Partition. But that's just my opinion, based on a few dozen animals shot with the 250 Partition.

To get back to the origin of this thread: Congratulations on finding a a great all-around load. And even more congratulations on actually finding one of those darn bullets!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I suppose everyone has their quirks, I don't mind the lack of an exit wound as long as the bloodtrail was very short.

My girlfriend shot her first deer with a 95 grain Partition out of a 20" barreled .243 this year. Straight on shot into the doe's throat at about 55 yards. I found it under the hide ahead of her hind leg. She dropped in her tracks. I really don't have a problem with that.

Last edited by CrimsonTide; 12/19/07.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
No, he was not lucky that the 200 Partition expanded on a doe, from any angle. I have probably killed two dozen animals with that bullet, from pronghorn to elk, and it has always expanded. There is no difference in the front jacket construction or the lead alloy on any of the .30 caliber Partitions. The only difference, in fact, in any of the spitzer .30 Partitions (150, 165, 180 and 200) aside from weight is where the Partition is placed. It is farther forward on the 200, the reason that bullets tends to penetrate deeper.

He was lucky--to recover one. The only 200-grain Nosler Partition that has stayed in any animal I've shot was one from a .300 Weatherby that hit a raghorn elk in the butt (finishing shot; the bull had already been hit through the bottom of the heart) at 375 yards. The bullet went up into the chest cavity, where we could not find it. All the rest have been pass-throughs, including shots that hit the shoulder joint on 6-point elk, and lengthwise shots on Montana deer from 125-pound whitetails to 250-pound mulie bucks.

As for TSX's always passing through, I have shot a 200-pound mulie buck in the left hip with a 168 TSX from a .300 Winchester and found the bullet in the front of the chest. There is no guarantee that any expanding bullet will always completely penetrate any animal, though the TSX does penetrate deeper than most.

The question I always have when somebody starts nattering about complete pass-throughs is why is that so important? I hear about blood trails, but I have seen a lot of complete pass-throughs that didn't leave a blood trail, with a wide variety of bullets. A lot depends on the individual animal and the individual circumstances.

Since I have killed ariound 2 dozen animals with the 200 .30 Nosler Partition, and only one stay in the animal, my bet is that it will leave an exit most of the time. It will also seriously screw up in the insides of an animal, even a pronghorn doe. I know this because, unlike some people who judge a bullet by the size of the entrance and exit holes, I always do an autopsy on the stuff in between.

This is not to say anything against the TSX. I have used it (and similar bullets such as the original X, Fail Safe and now the Nosler E-Tip) on sevceral dozen animals. But there is no secret about how to get extreme penetration: Just have the bullet open up to a narrower "mushroom." If you want an exit EVERY time on deer and elk, use a 300-grain solid from a .375.

I have also shot a pile of animals from forkhorn mule deer to eland with the 250-grain Nosler Partition from the .338 Winchester. When tghe animals were hit correctly (almost all were), the animal never went over 50 yards, and usually a lot less. The forkhorn mule deer mentioned went al of 15 yards before keeling over, so I somewhat doubt that the bullet was to blame for a deer going a mile with two chest hits from a 250 Partition. But that's just my opinion, based on a few dozen animals shot with the 250 Partition.

To get back to the origin of this thread: Congratulations on finding a a great all-around load. And even more congratulations on actually finding one of those darn bullets!

John:

Amazing patinece. I could never be a gun writer. I cannot give the same advice, or provide the same data, to a hostile crowd, 200 times a year.

Therefore, I hereby nominate you for the 2007 24HourCampFire Perseverance award.

It is samll bronze figure of a hunter, carrying a model 70 in 30-06, with a ball and chain on the right foot. The Ball is inscribed with the words "Friendly Advice."

Merry Christmas.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 12/19/07.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
BMT--
Point very well stated. I think the forebearance that the gunwriters show is very admirable. We take potshots at their craft and then ask them for thorough answers to questions they have been asked many times before.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Allen917
Your probably lucky that the doe was facing you. That 200 gr Nosler was designed for much bigger game.

When I got my first 338WM I took it deer hunting with the 250 gr partions that I was planning to use on an Alaskan moose hunt. A big old muley buck run across in front of me and I popped him twice with it. It took two days to find that dead buck about a mile away. Both shots had passed completely through him side to side with little transfer of energy. I would have been much better served with a 30-06 with 150 or 165 gr bullets. The .338 did a great job on a big moose though. Knock him off his feet with one shot. Recovered the perfectly mushroom bullet just under the hide on the far side.

One perfectly horrifying line in your post though, is the 30-06 is all the gun you will ever NEED!! What has NEED got to do with it! Have you been talking to my wife? She keeps throwing that NEED word around. smile

Allen, That's a little different result then I've experienced with The 250NP in both .338WM and 338-06 used on 25 -30 Kodiak Sitka blacktails most dropped at the shot and all fell within sight. Guess I'm just lucky. --- Mel

Last edited by olblue; 12/19/07. Reason: spelen

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (44mc, 375TN, 35, 21, 358wsm, 406_SBC, 15 invisible), 1,536 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,951
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.