-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is no way I'd keep it and not let LE know. If it's stolen, and you have it in your possession you are hosed if caught.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would think if you turned it in after it goes unclaimed for XXX Days you may be able to keep it. It may be worth checking if there were any lost hunters in that general area in the last couple years that were never found. The body may be close by if so. As far as it being stolen, I would highly doubt it is being out in the middle of nowhere and loaded. Someone intentionally leaned it against a tree. If you found it in a hollow log or culvert then I would suspect stolen.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Leave it exactly where he found it and call the county-mounties. Lead them to it and back away.

This is what I'd do. Found with a loaded chamber it is probably just a lost gun but lots of folks walk into the woods to commit suicide. If there were a fired cartridge in the chamber, they'd bring in cadaver dogs to look for remains. I've worked on such recoveries before and found bones, shoes, cell phones, wallets, etc. in an area as big as a basketball court. Animals scatter remains quite a distance.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Turn it in to SO, or lead them to it.

If it is not stolen, put your name on it, if you want it. When it's time is up in lost and found, if is unclaimed, it becomes yours as finder.

My boss saw a 4ft object fall off the roof of a car, some distance ahead. He picked the object up and found it to be a rifle case with a 243 Browning BLR and a 3-9 scope. Stopping to pick up the object resulted in losing sight of the vehicle it fell off.

The boss too it to CPS and turned in. Of course he put his name on it. Something like 30 days later it was unclaimed and it became his.

Kind of aggravating as that man was so cheap that when he opened his wallet, moths flew out. Also, he had pretty much given up hunting and shooting so he had no use for it. I don't know what he did with it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
There is no way I'd keep it and not let LE know. If it's stolen, and you have it in your possession you are hosed if caught.
Yep.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have heard of people losing guns while hunting. Laying it down getting destracted and walking away then can't remember where thay laid it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Give the cops the serial number to check, not the gun. Once they have their sticky paws on it, it's gone for good.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I have heard of people losing guns while hunting. Laying it down getting destracted and walking away then can't remember where thay laid it.

yep did that once

Long walk back to retrieve it

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Your state laws may differ considerably than others.

It could potentially be a misdemeanor to even touch the damn thing. Check with your local LEO's to be on the safe side.

Yep, in Oregon, you'd probably be fugged. I knew a guy that got busted for picking up a debit card, someone lost, and giving it to a store clerk. Stupid fn laws in Oregon.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I’ve got a vanguard. Losing it in the woods would be a blessing. Will never happen though because I’ll never hunt with the POS.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I’ve got a vanguard. Losing it in the woods would be a blessing. Will never happen though because I’ll never hunt with the POS.

Sure it isn't operator error? confused

Mine shoots like every shot after the first, the next bullet tries to crawl through the first hole.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by hanco
Someone may have leaned it there, walked away, couldn’t find where they had left it be my guess.

Probably happens more than we hear about.

Happens when someone is dragging a deer out.
You would think you could track yourself back, but not always.
A co-worker was on the mountain one Sunday for a couple hours trying to find his
bag and rifle.

For those thinking it was ditched.
Who wouldn't hide it?
Cover it with leaves or dirt and rocks?

If I wanted a rifle gone, it wouldn't be easily found.
Have the ability to make one cease to exist, but burying it isn't hard.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 07/24/23.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by hanco
Someone may have leaned it there, walked away, couldn’t find where they had left it be my guess.

Probably happens more than we hear about.

Happens when someone is dragging a deer out.
You would think you could track yourself back, but not always.
A co-worker was on the mountain one Sunday for a couple hours trying to find his
bag and rifle.
Gun and gear to truck first then the deer goes out if I can't get it all in 1 load.

No way is my rifle staying behind without me there.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know someone that was tracking a buck he shot. It was after dark before he started on the blood trail. A few guys were with him. That buck went a long way in very thick cover.

After they found the buck, at some point he put his rifle against a tree, and walked away from it. He went back the next morning and multiple times after that to look for his rifle, but never found it.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I'd call my local SO and turn it in.

I wouldn't, they'll run the serial to see if it's stolen, and walk off with it.

Glad I don't live where you do!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Dude, I'm so glad you found my rifle. Dad always told me not to hunt drunk, but you know how it goes at deer camp. I'll pm my address so you can return it. I'll be glad to pay shipping and a bit of a finders fee. I'd really be in trouble if the Mrs. Knew I'd lost it. You may have saved me from divorce.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Mine shoots like every shot after the first, the next bullet tries to crawl through the first hole.

Want to make me an offer? Vanguard First Lite in 6.5PRC…

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What rifle?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Want to make me an offer? Vanguard First Lite in 6.5PRC…

Don't need it. Mine's a 26" barreled Kuiu Vias pattern in 6.5-300 Wby, amazingly accurate!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Your state laws may differ considerably than others.

It could potentially be a misdemeanor to even touch the damn thing. Check with your local LEO's to be on the safe side.

Yep, in Oregon, you'd probably be fugged. I knew a guy that got busted for picking up a debit card, someone lost, and giving it to a store clerk. Stupid fn laws in Oregon.
What law would that break?
I found a debit card at an atm a while back. Took it to the bank. They called the girl and she came and picked it up. I didn’t get arrested or anything.

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,474 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,219
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.