Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
270jrk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have an itch for a 1911. Have shot one or two, but not much. I have a Glock 21, which I shoot well enough at closer ranges, but the wheels fall off, when I stretch the range. I shoot revolvers and other auto's well enough at longer ranges. Wondering if a 1911 would be more shootable for me.

I started digging in, it's a huge world out there, of brands and models, and parts, etc.

I'd like one with an adjustable rear sight, and a 5" model. Otherwise, I don't know if I have any preferences.

Is there anything I should be looking for, or avoiding? I'm under the impression that a decent 1911 is going to be more accurate than striker fired pistols, coupled with a nicer trigger pull, should be more accurate at longer ranges too. Don't know if that's really the case though. Thoughts?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Budget ? Tisas has different models and are maybe the best bang for the buck right now. If you have a bigger budget I would highly recommend Alchemy Custom Weaponry.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This oughta be fun.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'd recommend a Kimber, not too pricey, reliable and accurate.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
270jrk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Don't necessarily have a budget.

I do like the grip angle, balance, and controls on the browning buckmark, figured a 1911 should be similar.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You gotta decide.

$800-$1800 is the range of some refinement to where your are paying for
pride of ownership and niceties more than trigger pull and accuracy.

Lotta guys are tickled with <$600 Tisas or RIAs.

1911s are just like ARs.
To most folks they all look alike, the differences in things that matter in use
are not obvious.

A$400 gun will tickle some.
Others want a $4000 one.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 270jrk
I have an itch for a 1911. Have shot one or two, but not much. I have a Glock 21, which I shoot well enough at closer ranges, but the wheels fall off, when I stretch the range. I shoot revolvers and other auto's well enough at longer ranges. Wondering if a 1911 would be more shootable for me.

I started digging in, it's a huge world out there, of brands and models, and parts, etc.

I'd like one with an adjustable rear sight, and a 5" model. Otherwise, I don't know if I have any preferences.

Is there anything I should be looking for, or avoiding? I'm under the impression that a decent 1911 is going to be more accurate than striker fired pistols, coupled with a nicer trigger pull, should be more accurate at longer ranges too. Don't know if that's really the case though. Thoughts?

I would ask at 1911Forum where there are guys with depth of knowledge on this type of pistol.

270jrk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Would something like a ruger 1911 be considered middle of the road? Could I expect it to be more accurate than a glock, just by design? Or does it not really work that way?

Something like the Les Baers, is that the only way to be sure that it's going to be noticeably more accurate than something striker fired?

270jrk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Guys here that have lots of experience with both, do you find that you can shoot the 1911's noticeably more accurately than a typical striker fired pistol?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The title will draw a few members. Ones who might have a 1911...condition.
And will gladly share some good information.
You just need to find and sort out any bias.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would look at 2011's too before I decided. That's where my money would go if I was in the market today.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting question and I'll throw in my 2 cents since I shoot and love the 1911 a lot. Being a Bullseye pistol competitor, I shoot 1911's a bunch, several thousand each year. Accuracy and reliability are my two biggest concerns. Most of my 1911's have been accurized since I require the pistol to be capable of placing 10 rounds within a 3" group at 50 yards. However, I have a couple of Springfield Range Officers, which are no longer produced, that were capable of this kind of accuracy straight out of the box.

So with all that said, I would recommend to most people who don't shoot competitively to find a Range officer which will more than meet their needs.
Phil

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Guys here that have lots of experience with both, do you find that you can shoot the 1911's noticeably more accurately than a typical striker fired pistol?

I shoot a 1911 slightly more precisely than my Sig P320 Compact. I believe this to be a training and trigger time issue. I'd have to burn more ammo than most old guys do to make my striker fired pistol targets look like my 1911 targets.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Springfield Range Officer or whatever they call their current version of that model would be hard to beat for the money.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Shop around the gun market is flooded right now. Handle as many different guns that you can. Do not impulse buy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Springfield Armory would be a good start.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dan Wesson first, followed somewhat loosely by new production Colt's in second place. Springfield Armory, Ruger, S&W, and Sig are in a tight third place.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Skip the target sights, get low-profile Novak style instead. And of course that means avoiding the plain GI-style 1911.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Well...

Bang/buck?

SA 1911 Garrison

[Linked Image from files.springfield-armory.com]

No adjustable sights, but a lot of really nice features w/o bein' a pimped-out sissy pistol or race gun.

Got an SA "Mil-Spec," which is the next step down, on clearance, due to the new roll-stamp change, and then put $7 grips on it to use as a beater.

[Linked Image from s33.postimg.cc]

Couldn't be happier.

GR

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A reasonable quality barrel and snug barrel to slide fit in battery promote the best precision shooting in a 1911. A 4 pound trigger, adjustable to minimize over travel, can certainly help take advantage of that potential shooting precision, and a 4 pound trigger pull is probably the minimum for safety in a 1911 intended for carrying.

The kind of snug, glass smooth slide to frame fit, which so many swoon over, is very expensive to produce and does not make the pistol shoot any better, except perhaps from a Ransom Rest. Remember, when shooting 1911 by hand, you’ll actually be aiming the slide, which points the barrel; you’ll not be aiming the frame. I’ve seen many 1911s which rattle like a castanet, yet still shoot quite well because of a decent barrel which is snug to the slide when in battery.

Reasonably good barrels, reasonably well fitted to slides, can be found in relatively inexpensive 1911s, though sometimes you may need to inspect a few before finding a suitable candidate. Others have already mentioned the Springfield Armory Range Officer, and I’ve never known of one which did not shoot well.

On the other hand, this Colt Government Model wouldn’t shoot worth doo-doo because of loose barrel to slide fit. It was cured by the proper fitting of an aftermarket barrel:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Every day’s an adventure.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (450yukon, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 21 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,507
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.