Print Thread
Hop To
F
Fraser Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I've flip flopped on my interest in buying a 9.3x62 a few times. For my use it would be a dedicated black bear rifle.

More often than not I simply use a .30-06 with 180 grain Nosler Partitions. Its always worked out well especially given that the rifle is a Ruger 77 RLS Ultralight carbine that is certainly handy in the brush.

I've used a bunch of other rifles and calibres too and taken 17 bears at this point ranging from average to a few big ones including one that had a skull that squared 20-5/8" and had a hide that measured 6' 8" from nose to tail.

I once even used a .375 H&H with 300 Hornaday round noses. That bear was average sized and running. One shot put it down within 30 yards which seemed good for a startled bear full of adrenaline. That shot entered through the rear ribs and exited the shoulder. I no longer own that rifle but perhaps the '06 would have done as well. I'm not really sure.

Right now I've got my eye on a particularly nice Husqvarna 1600 chambered in 9.3x62. I've never found black bears particularly rough to put down but I've heard so much good about the 9.3 that I have to ask, would it offer anything much over a .30-06 in this case?

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Fraser
I've flip flopped on my interest in buying a 9.3x62 a few times. For my use it would be a dedicated black bear rifle.

More often than not I simply use a .30-06 with 180 grain Nosler Partitions. Its always worked out well especially given that the rifle is a Ruger 77 RLS Ultralight carbine that is certainly handy in the brush.

I've used a bunch of other rifles and calibres too and taken 17 bears at this point ranging from average to a few big ones including one that had a skull that squared 20-5/8" and had a hide that measured 6' 8" from nose to tail.

I once even used a .375 H&H with 300 Hornaday round noses. That bear was average sized and running. One shot put it down within 30 yards which seemed good for a startled bear full of adrenaline. That shot entered through the rear ribs and exited the shoulder. I no longer own that rifle but perhaps the '06 would have done as well. I'm not really sure.

Right now I've got my eye on a particularly nice Husqvarna 1600 chambered in 9.3x62. I've never found black bears particularly rough to put down but I've heard so much good about the 9.3 that I have to ask, would it offer anything much over a .30-06 in this case?

No.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Fraser,

My experience with black bears is the same as yours: They die pretty easily with bullets put in the right place.

Have seen a difference between the .30-06 and 9.3x62 on tougher and/or larger game.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
I don't think many are going to tell you need the 9.3x62 over the 30 06 for your hunting scenario.
The real question is "do you want it?"

F
Fraser Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks for your input, John. I was hoping you would chime in. I know you're a 9.3 admirer but also very practical and "evidence based" in your advice which makes your opinion well respected in my books.

Ash, Army of Darkness
IC B2

F
Fraser Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
I don't think many are going to tell you need the 9.3x62 over the 30 06 for your hunting scenario.
The real question is "do you want it?"

It's a really nice rifle that I'm sure I'd like but I'm busy with young kids and a full life so I really don't want it in a bad way for it's own sake, only if it offers something extra. I've never found the '06 lacking I just try to keep an open mind and learn from others who have experience that I don't have. I've got decent experience with bears but none with a 9.3.

Ash, Army of Darkness
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've couple of 1600s.They are the ultimate Mauser. I love the stock Husqvqrna did. But it's more of a quick handling, low recoil . I once noticed one a 358 Norma Magnum, hmm, ouch. I passed.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
FWIW

I've only taken one bear, and that was with a 7mm-08.

I have a number or 30-06 Rifles, and at present, 2 rifles chambered for the 9.3 x 62.

I load the 250 Gr. Accubonds in the 9.3 x 62 using the same 60 gr. load that JB uses. (IIRC) , and 180 Gr. Partitions in the 30-06.

Only a sample of two, so.........

Both of the Aoudad pixed below were shot at +/- 80 yds, in approximately the same part of their anatomy, high and behind the shoulder. Each weighed in @ +/- 270 lbs on the scale I had available

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This Ram was taken with the 30-06 Springfield. He ran about 100 yds before he collapsed.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Ram shot with the 9.3 x 62 was DRT.

To date, I have yet to be disappointed with the efficacy of large diameter, heavy for caliber bullets @ moderate velocities, on game.

In addition, due to the nature of the terrain where I hunt, should the critter not be DRT and I have to track, I want a blood trail that a blind man can wade in.

It has been my experience that bullets that have a larger diameter and weight tend to leave two leaky holes that do just that.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 07/26/23.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i use a Husqvarna m46 in 9.3x57 with 275gr WFN GC and IMR 4895 that is going around 1900fps. i've killed 4 or 5 deer with it and every one of them dropped at the shot. the furthest i shot was 50ish yards, but 30ish yards is where i shoot them. i'd take for black bear or anything else on this continent.

i've killed one bear (396lbs) with a 308 Winchester and 150gr Hornady RN and after the shot, he ran about 20ish yards till he died.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That the 9.3 x 62 has advantages over the .30-06 should be obvious from the sheer fact that the Berlin gunsmith in 1905 didn't make a .30-caliber but a .36-caliber. In Africa it has proven effectiveness of the DG 5 or 6, plus the plethora of anything else.

But the question posed by the OP has to do with any advantage on potentially dangerous game of the North American variety. In my various and many experiences as a black bear hunter, no room has been left for doubting that black bears ARE dangerous - at least those I've been involved with north of the border in our particular ecosystem. And, perhaps, with their particular genetics which doesn't permit gigantic sizes but agressive and intimidating in behaviour. And I can back that up if called for. Therefore, I make a huge distinction between hardware in use for predatory blacks and bambi. In my experience and view of matters as a dedicated bl. bear hunter over the past 35 - 40 years, I tote rifles and their cartridges I'd use for moose under all conditions. And that's after having learned, unfortunately the hard way, that (at least in our region of central and Northern Ontario) that bears are very smart, cunning, crafty and know where I am before I have a clue where they are! And I've had to deal with several that were wounded but not dead!

I've killed 3 using my 9.3 x 62 and much prefer it over anything less. The first was wounded by a young friend whom I was guiding over bait at 135 yards. The year previous he was using the same .300 Win Mag and shot a young bear through the ribs at 65 yards -- a bang flop! That was at ground level.The following year he wounded the bear using the same load I'd put together for him. From a tree stand in a line of trees he shot the bear at 130 yds in the left front leg! It was at a bait and ran towards us across the pasture of uncut 30" tall grass> I called "Shoot! Shoot". He didn't fire again until I lost sight of the bear going through the line of trees we were in that separated two pastures of uncut grass on an old farm no longer in use as such. I got out of my safety harness, down the ladder and met up with him asking if he had a dead bear. He pointed through the trees at the bear that was still making progress away from us. I told him to fire again... he did, this time hitting the bear in the rear right leg! Now the bear in on two legs, a right front and left rear that are still functioning. In running after the bear I finally caught up enough to give it a finisher through the short ribs . That bullet was a 286 Hornady SPRP leaving the muzzle at +2400 fps. It came out the back just behind th e head after removing 6 - 8 inches of vertebrae. No fragments in the wound, but went off somewhere into the trees. The second was killed on the same property using my Tikka T3 Lite loaded with the 286 Partitions at +2600 fps. And the last on the same property 2 yrs later using the same rifle but the 250gr Nos AB at +2700 fps. I was very impressed with the 250 AB as it "out-performed" the Partition in my view. Blood loss was like it was poured from a bucket from bait to dead bear at 20 yards. Those two were 6' bears.

But as to DRT without a CNS hit, nothing compared to my .45-70s. That is what I used in any followup of wounded bears.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 07/27/23.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

IC B3

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Will a 9.3x62 kill a bear and deader than a 30-06? Nope. If one has a good 30-06 would there be a reason for getting a 9.3x62? Maybe. For many years I shot a 7mm Rem Mag and a 375 H&H. One Christmas my charming wife gifted me a CZ Model 550 American in 9.3x62. I have shot the 7mm very little and the 375 not at all since getting the 9.3x62. It truly is one of the classic rounds and does what it has always done, put 36 caliber holes into game animals with boring effectiveness. It may not be as flashy as some modern rounds but considering it has been in continuous use for well over 100 years it has longevity.

Would I suggest the OP get one? Hell Yes!

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I would get it, based on my experiences using a 9.3x62 extensively for ten years now. Prior to that my primary rifle was a .375 H&H. Like others who have alot of experience with the round, I find it carries and kicks much like an '06, but hits like a .375. In fact, having used both the 9.3 and the .375 on various deer, brown bears, and mountain goats, I cannot tell a difference between the two performance-wise. I've also used the '06 quite a bit, like it, and will always have one but the 9.3 definitely hits harder. It destroys less meat and penetrates better on odd angle shots as well.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Fraser

For Blackies, I don't see any reason to leave the '06.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 67 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,536
Posts18,472,786
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.