Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I use a hang on tree stand and hunt in the woods. Shots aren't long range, but often in the brush so having an accurate rifle that I can't support well free hand can be a brush deflection issue. What works if I don't want to lug a lot of extra stuff along?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I sit on a rock or fallen tree and use my left elbow on my left knee as a rest, all I have to lug around is myself.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
my brother made me a ground blind from 4"x 4" and he put camo netting and 1" x 6' pipe insultation put on the top inside corners of the 4" x 4". my seat is a swivel chair. i only have use of the left arm/leg (had a stroke), so i can use it as a rest.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Windfall
What works if I don't want to lug a lot of extra stuff along?
Lots of offhand practice. 98% of the deer I've killed were shot offhand so I practice my offhand shooting constantly. Enough so that I have no need to carry any kind of portable rest {screw that} and can hit a 2" diameter target consistently from 65 yards.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Lots of offhand practice. 98% of the deer I've killed were shot offhand so I practice my offhand shooting constantly. Enough so that I have no need to carry any kind of portable rest {screw that} and can hit a 2" diameter target consistently from 65 yards.
Yup. No shooting sticks or bipod either

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
yup!

Ever' chance I get.......

I don't like to track.

I want stuff DRT.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

and twice on Sunday!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 07/24/23.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
https://www.amazon.com/Primos-Pole-62-Inch-Tall-Bipod/dp/B00BD55BMS

Any type of lightweight shooting sticks like these can be used in a treestand.

**TIP** stick the legs of the shooting sticks in your boots if you are wearing tall boots. A monopod works just as well if you can stick it down in your boots.

https://www.primos.com/shooting-sti...all-monopod-shooting-stick/PO-65813.html

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use some kinda support often. Lots of different scenarios when a fella may have to thread the needle.
I set the stick on my foot and commence slinging lead 😃

I’ve taken gobs of deer from this portable 8’ tripod.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunnut308
I use some kinda support often. Lots of different scenarios when a fella may have to thread the needle.

Is that in AR, gunnut?

That's some pretty good lookin' deer country, and nothing like what I picture Arkansas looking like. blush

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yessir, If a fella likes to hunt year round they ain’t a better place to be. Lots of diff terrain. I live in the center of the state. The marker is just a few minutes away. Eastern half is pretty much pancake flat with agriculture and the Western part is goat country with trees and rocks, very little dirt. 😃

The pic above is a clear cut (25 minutes NW from home) where I hunt deer and turkey. Several years ago was a mix of white oak and pine until a tornado flattened it. Timber company cleaned it up and planted pines. Another tornado flattened it a few years ago.
I just move from clear cut to clear cut. It’s a 24 hour buffet for deer.

25 minutes to the SE is flat river bottoms where we hunt hogs and duck.

All kinds of wildlife in every direction.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Cut some sticks and lash them together. Move bottom out or in to adjust the height.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our typical deer stand is a 15' strapped ladder 2 seater with a front and rear rail. Baiting is typically 100 yds out usually over a food plot or open field.

I take a telescopic mono post shooting stick into the stand....i also like to bridge the front and back rail with a 1x4 to rest my trigger elbow.....

For me this becomes a bench rest set up.....not the least bit ashamed to admit it, in fact i encourage other club members to use it......tracking deer in the dark sux......especially when its other peoples deer.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
If not wanting to carry a bunch of extra stuff then I find working on my shooting with a full sized .22LR before deer season is my best solution. I hunt both out of tree stands and on the ground where I live is south west Mississippi, shots are relatively close less than 100 yards typically 40-60 yards. 6-8 weeks of practice before deer season with .22LR with progressively smaller targets while shooting standing offhand makes a BIG difference for me in both my shooting and confidence and making shots in just the situation you are talking about.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunnut308

That's a nifty setup.

Boys, gunnut is all-business. When he finally decides to hang it up, AR is gonna see a big surge to its deer population. laugh

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you got a Buc’ees close by.. they have these in store.

Wanna say, made in USA.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
An adjustable "V" topped monopod into my boot is a really novel idea. I can always hold minute of rib cage, but "threading the needle" between branches in a regenerating aspen forest is a very good analog for where I hunt. A Millennium 150 is a comfortable enough hang on stand, but it doesn't have arm rests or anything to brace off of. Brush deflection happens and it doesn't take much to deflect a bullet. I'm remembering one buck that went down at the shot with a broken neck when I was holding for broadside lungs. That bullet went in key holed sideways.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Trees make these silly things called branches. They can be cut or sometimes you see them on the ground. These are called "sticks." You can break those.

It typically does take a lot of brush to deflect a bullet from the target. I don't typically use a rest from a blind or a tree stand for the close 75 yd and in shots I see in the north woods.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I use a bog pod bipod if I am hunting in a elevated stand without a rest. I use the same when hunting out of a ground blind out shooting house. If I am hiking in and hunting on the ground with my back against a tree I use an attachment on my treking poles that connects them and makes a solid rest. Prior to getting my treking poles I used a monopod I used as a walking stick with a rifle rest on top. I just leaned it against my knee for extra stability. Kicked a lot of deer off that monopod. Of all the things I use I think the bog pod bipod provides the best rest. But if I had to toss everything and have only one I would keep the treking poles.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I use a hang on tree stand and hunt in the woods. Shots aren't long range, but often in the brush so having an accurate rifle that I can't support well free hand can be a brush deflection issue. What works if I don't want to lug a lot of extra stuff along?

I used to carry a broomstick back in my days of shooting with a slug gun out of a hang-on stand. I kept a loop of paracord running through it that I used to brace my wrist. I'd also use it to hang from a peg on the tree between hunts.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
tzone, I do always have a small folding saw in my pack and when I had a good ground stand location I cut two sticks and joined them together to form a “V” with one of those heavy rubber drive bands from a vacuum cleaner place. That is more than I want up on a hang on stand, but I think that adjustable monopod with a rubberized “V” threaded into the top of it should be workable.

My other auto is a .45

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 30 invisible), 1,729 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,630
Posts18,492,987
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.