Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Potsy Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Never done much hunting out of a Ladder Stand but decided that’s how I’m gonna roll this season. Not a tripod, but leaned against a tree.
I like the idea of a two man, with a full platform running well out front and back under the seat. I’ll likely be the only one in it, but that way I can have my pack next to me or tuck it under the seat and sprawl out.
Would like a flip up rail and flip up seat in case I want to stand and flip up rail just in case I want it out of the way for some reason.
Will likely hang burlap off it for some cover.
Anyone have any brand preference or experience they’d care to share?
Thanks!

Last edited by Potsy; 07/29/23.
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The cheapest ones I can find usually. The Realtree version at Walmart is a good place to start.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Realtree...unting-Ladder-Tree-Stand-W-Jaw/139486624

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most comfy ive used are the millenium brand. Though $$$ these days.

I use the cheap buddy stands that walmarks sells.

After season they go on sale for $80 or so.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

P
Potsy Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Millenium was one brand I was looking at. This will be my “main” stand.
I’ll set up a cheap one I already have somewhere else, I’ve got my climber for any unforeseen circumstances, and I’ll likely put up a ground blind somewhere in case of howling wind (hard terrain to hunt on the ground), but this new ladder stand is where I’ll spend most of my time.

C
CBB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
We bought 1 of these and put it up. Made by millennium think they bought out Ol man

Ol man assassin

Also used

Rivers edge bowman stands

Both roomy comfy options

Last edited by CBB; 07/29/23.

Hunt...
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They are nice unless it gets down in the twenties, can stand 30’s

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since 2001 or so, whenever I need a ladder stand, I wait for the July specials on Sportsmans Guide and find a nice cheap 2 man buddy stand.

For several years, I bought Hunters View stands, but then they got caught monkeying with their weight capacity numbers. I still have several. However, I haven't put two people in them in years.

I'm a big guy, John Wayne-esque in proportion. It was a real chore squeezing myself and my jumbo-sized kids into a buddy stand. However, going up single makes it a luxurious experience.

I like flip-up rails and seats, but I find they are mostly unnecessary. I seldom use the features once season starts.

I also seldom use the space under the seat for gear storage. I hang whatever I've got off the shooting rail, behind whatever I'm using as a skirt, and it stays out of the way.

BTW: Sportsmans Guide usually sells these camo treestand skirts that you tie to the shooting rail. These work really well. They're nothing more than a shower curtain with a zippered hole in the middle. I attach them to the stand just before season using zip ties. I also cover the shooting rails with foam pipe insulation. This reduces noise and improves the rail as a shooting rest.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I really miss tree stand hunting. I had several in various spots on the farm. Loved my ladder stands, 22'. The ugly part was putting them up by myself......dangerous and strenuous unless you think it through. I always put one of my own ratchet straps around the tree for good measure and don't blow off a safety rope!

P
Potsy Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Wound up buying a Rivers Edge Lockdown Wide 21’.
Pretty spendy, but they had them on Amazon for $319.00. Rivers Edge list price was $449.00.
Scheel’s has them for the same price, btw. Didn’t see that until I had already ordered.
Looks comfy, practical, and safe, and solves a few “gripes” I had about other designs.

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Millenium two man stands are the way to go. Comfortable if you have your child or friend with you, tons of room if you don’t. Sturdy, no squeaks and will last easily a decade or more. Yes they cost in the $500 range, but find one to try a sit in. You wont want to use anything else.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Enjoy your new stand and good luck.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
If you want a tower type stand (with a top) that mounts to a tree like a ladder stand check out CB’s Deerstands in North Augusta, SC. They are 43” square and very comfortable.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The two man or the 1.5 man are the way to go if you sit longer than a few hours. You can sit your pack in them next to you if you need to as well.

We've done many, many all day sits in them. On the stands that we leave up all season, we put a wrap of some sort on them. Burlap camo, or one of the "one size fits all" type covers that go around the rail

Keep in mind the shooting rail probably won't help you much, except for a place to keep your gun on when game is not in sight. lol. If you want to use it as a rest, you'll probably have to build it up a bit.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Potsy
Millenium was one brand I was looking at. This will be my “main” stand.
I’ll set up a cheap one I already have somewhere else, I’ve got my climber for any unforeseen circumstances, and I’ll likely put up a ground blind somewhere in case of howling wind (hard terrain to hunt on the ground), but this new ladder stand is where I’ll spend most of my time.

We have several of the walmart versions. They work fine. The main difference is they're harder to put together because of fitment. But not much more difficult.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I buy the cheap Walmart brand and rebuild them. I don't like anything moving including the rest. One of those cheap plastic boat seats bolted down make sitting a lot more comfortable.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life is good live it while you can.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have bought a bunch of the 16-17" double stands at WMT in Feb when they mark them down. Usually about $30-$40 each.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out Game winner stands at academy sports. Discovered these a few years ago and now it's all my buddies will buy. Good price, sturdy, instructions actually work, parts are in marked bags by which step of assembly you're on. 1-10 for example. Easiest I've ever put together.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Also looking. Good info all

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I started using ladder stands about 10yrs ago and buy the Guide Gear stands from Sportsman guide. They are not cheap but not to expensive either compared to some of the others. I've had good luck with them thus far and the quality seems to be good too. I don't leave them out year-round, I always take them down and store them under a shelter out of the elements during the off season so I'm sure that helps.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’ve owned a couple of Rivers Edge 1 1/2 and 2-man models. My son has them now. Well worth the extra money for the extra room provided. No more juggling your gear in a tight spot to use your bino, eat, or pee. Just rest your rifle beside you.

Not buying any more; gonna hunt at ground level in my dotage, unless I somehow secure permission on one of the farms around here. Many places on my WMA offer naturally elevated views.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 60 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.