-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sheer and utter fhuqking nonsense. Hint……….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
You may not like the delivery, but Stick is right. Swaro sells good glass, not good scopes..

About the only thing I completely agree on

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Yup,
Just a "figination of my imaginement"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Rem 700 Custom KS, 300 H&H, Leupold 4.5-14 x 40, Duplex Reticle (if my imagination is correct).

Hoglet perforated with 200 gr. Accubond

What the hey, since I'm imagining, why not two, along with a view back up the hill to the stand?

Yowsir!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
It seems like the majority of hunters today have bought into the long range, shoot-off-a-bipod, school. They watch the long range "hunting" videos and will go out of their way to set up shots they shouldn't try. The busy reticles are OK for them. I am not inclined to hunt this way and prefer simple reticles and simple scopes. I also like scopes which will fit on the rifle. This means that all of my gear is pretty old school. That doesn't sell anymore, so I can only buy what I can find. With most of my gear, 500 yds is beyond what I should try. I'm OK with that. I can make it for the duration with what I have, but I feel sorry for those who no longer have the options.
For those who are into the new way of hunting, you're covered. GD

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by gsganzer
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM
You may not like the delivery, but Stick is right. Swaro sells good glass, not good scopes. Put a triangle post Trijicon on there if you want simple.

I recently bought two of the 3-9x Trijicons with the green triangle post reticle. One will go on my stainless M70 375 H&H for a brown bear hunt next year. Pretty slick piece, light, bright, right sized and known for their quality. Midway had them for $550 shipped a bit ago. The other one will likely land on my 280 AI Ruger #1 to use on hogs.

I have an Accupoint 3-9 with the red triangle. The tube was too short for my M70 .375 H&H with Warne Maxima Lever lock rings. You might need to look at a cantilevered base/rings. I'm interested to hear what your experience is.

I'll see when I get back to Texas. My 375 currently wears a 2-7x Leupold in Talley LW's. Prior, on a brown bear hunt, it wore a 1.5-5x Leupold in the Talleys. The Trijicon is showing to be maybe a half inch longer mount length than the Leupold.

I think the difference might be the Talley's you used allowing for a shorter ring spacing. Because I also have express sights, I opted for a removable scope mount using Weaver Maxima lever lock rings and I believe the bases are Leupold Weaver. The difference might be with the cross-slot locations. making the ring spacing slightly wider. When I tried mounting the Trij 3-9, the rings were either right at or onto the objective and ocular bells or the scope was at the wrong eye relief (can't remember which now). I'll take a measurement and photo's once I put it all together with the Swaro.

In your photo it doesn't look like you have much room to spare. Is the scope positioned correctly for a natural eye relief placement when you shoulder it quickly, or do you end up having to adjust to get a good sight picture?

I just saw this. No issue with natural eye relief. On my 416 Rem M70 I went with custom bases from Michael Scherz (who is no longer with us) with Talley QD's. His design allowed for a bit tighter spacing. This rifle now wears a Burris Safari Signature Select 1.75-5x32mm with a taper-plex reticle.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It seems like most scopes (at least on the lower power models) are now designed for the AR tactical crowd and there are very few that are well suited for long action, bolt gun hunting rifles. Are true basic hunting scopes starting to fade away?

It's because the buying public wants to feel like a military sniper. If you didn't notice, traditional hunting is out, tactical shooting is in.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by greydog
It seems like the majority of hunters today have bought into the long range, shoot-off-a-bipod, school. They watch the long range "hunting" videos and will go out of their way to set up shots they shouldn't try. The busy reticles are OK for them. I am not inclined to hunt this way and prefer simple reticles and simple scopes. I also like scopes which will fit on the rifle. This means that all of my gear is pretty old school. That doesn't sell anymore, so I can only buy what I can find. With most of my gear, 500 yds is beyond what I should try. I'm OK with that. I can make it for the duration with what I have, but I feel sorry for those who no longer have the options.
Well there really isnt anything new about long range hunting.
In the place i have been doing it for more than 50 years, there were as many doing it then as there are now.
And we were using target scopes like Unertle and Bausch and Lomb and very few others for doing it.
Reason being that they were the only ones that could be dialed at the time.
And the B & L needed a bit of modification for doing that as well.
What has made the difference of coarse is the internet in recent years.
But the fact is that most of the people buying the new scopes arent using them for hunting.
But rather playing the various games that have also recently been created.
Ringing steel at extreme distances for example being just one of the more popular ones.
Of coarse there are modern day shooting schools as well where for a fee even you can become an expert at shooting long distances.
Of coarse the bandwagon also includes other must have items as well, like devices that tell you the wind direction and speed, ( at the place you happen to be standing ) lol.
Trust me, very few serious long range hunters are attempting shots at the extreme distances being talked about on the internet.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Goosey
It seems like most scopes (at least on the lower power models) are now designed for the AR tactical crowd and there are very few that are well suited for long action, bolt gun hunting rifles. Are true basic hunting scopes starting to fade away?

It's because the buying public wants to feel like a military sniper. If you didn't notice, traditional hunting is out, tactical shooting is in.

You think it’s because hunters want to be more “tacticool” and not the fact that when reticles and turrets are aligned give an advantage over a duplex reticle with friction alignment?

It doesn’t discount the fact thousands of animals have been taken by thousands of hunters with duplex reticles or iron sights before that. It’s just progress.

Last edited by TexasTBag; 07/30/23.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by geedubya

Yup,

Rem 700 Custom KS, 300 H&H, Leupold 4.5-14 x 40, Duplex Reticle (if my imagination is correct).

What the hey, since I'm imagining, why not two, along with a view back up the hill to the stand?

Yowsir!

GWB

Looks like you've got it dialed in! Niiiiiiice

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by geedubya

Yup,

Yowsir!

GWB

But I'll bet you haven't smacked a salmon over the head with one.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
But I'll bet you haven't smacked a salmon over the head with one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by yobuck
Originally Posted by greydog
Well there really isnt anything new about long range hunting.
In the place i have been doing it for more than 50 years, there were as many doing it then as there are now.
And we were using target scopes like Unertle and Bausch and Lomb and very few others for doing it.
Reason being that they were the only ones that could be dialed at the time.
And the B & L needed a bit of modification for doing that as well.
What has made the difference of coarse is the internet in recent years.
But the fact is that most of the people buying the new scopes arent using them for hunting.
But rather playing the various games that have also recently been created.
Ringing steel at extreme distances for example being just one of the more popular ones.
Of coarse there are modern day shooting schools as well where for a fee even you can become an expert at shooting long distances.
Of coarse the bandwagon also includes other must have items as well, like devices that tell you the wind direction and speed, ( at the place you happen to be standing ) lol.
Trust me, very few serious long range hunters are attempting shots at the extreme distances being talked about on the internet.

YouSuck,

It isn't "Unertele",nor was it ever. KNOWN range ala LRF is THE Game Changer and beyond refute. Hint.

Scope innards,matter wayyyyy more than outards. Your Drooling Brokedicktitude is fhuqking HILARIOUS. Hint.

"Coarse" is a BIG word too. Hint.

Bless your heart,for doing your best. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
YouSuck,

It isn't "Unertele",nor was it ever. KNOWN range ala LRF is THE Game Changer and beyond refute. Hint.

Scope innards,matter wayyyyy more than outards. Your Drooling Brokedicktitude is fhuqking HILARIOUS. Hint.

"Coarse" is a BIG word too. Hint.

Bless your heart,for doing your best. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................

But back to Stick, if you can wade through the oddities and insults, there is actually some very valuable information to be learned. If this site lost him, they’d lose a lot of what little value there is left.

Yes, yes, I see what you mean. 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's simply because reticles can be used for much more than "point-and-shoot", if one is so inclined.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I judged a moose last fall in seconds using my MOAR reticle. It is now in my freezer. Incredibly useful. You can range and measure all sorts of things. Main beams on a bull, width on a buck, length on a bear, etc. I’d rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. You Fudds don’t know what you’re missing.

I’m trying to sell one of the last Duplex scopes I own. Zeiss V6, it’s in the classifieds. For those of you that love a simple reticle and brilliant glass, I can’t imagine much better. Selling for half off retail too.

Imo, everything a duplex does, a proper reticle does better. No reason to go backwards. I’m not going back to a typewriter, or landline, or horse and buggy either.

Some people just resist change and learning new things. Progress can be painful for some.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
It's simply because reticles can be used for much more than "point-and-shoot", if one is so inclined.
For those of us who hunt these woods, point and shoot is all we need.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
For those of us who hunt these woods, point and shoot is all we need.

Hunting vs shooting ! It seems not many people hunt anymore.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I judged a moose last fall in seconds using my MOAR reticle. It is now in my freezer. Incredibly useful. You can range and measure all sorts of things. Main beams on a bull, width on a buck, length on a bear, etc. I’d rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. You Fudds don’t know what you’re missing.

I’m trying to sell one of the last Duplex scopes I own. Zeiss V6, it’s in the classifieds. For those of you that love a simple reticle and brilliant glass, I can’t imagine much better. Selling for half off retail too.

Imo, everything a duplex does, a proper reticle does better. No reason to go backwards. I’m not going back to a typewriter, or landline, or horse and buggy either.

Some people just resist change and learning new things. Progress can be painful for some.

Yes, of course you did. Damn shame you can't figure out how to post pics.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Yes, of course you did. Damn shame you can't figure out how to post pics.

Has absolutely nothing to do with figuring out how. It’s a personal and philosophical decision. I prefer to “hunt quietly” now.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Has absolutely nothing to do with figuring out how. It’s a personal and philosophical decision. I prefer to “hunt quietly” now.

I see.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1234, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,531
Posts18,491,186
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.