Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Any of you have any first hand knowledge of the electronic band that is supposedly effective for people who suffer from seasickness??

Thank u.

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Mixed results. Some people swear by them, and others swear at them. Somewhere around here I've got one I'd make you a deal on iff'n you wan to try it.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Eat a sammitch. Always worked for me.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bonnine won't make you drowsy and does the trick. Also bring some ginger candy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a bracelet and took dramamine on a deep sea fishing trip in Kauai. I was sicker than a dog the whole time. Was chumming all day. Didnt work for me.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Something about ginger makes the puke smell even worse.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Ngrumba
I used a bracelet and took dramamine on a deep sea fishing trip in Kauai. I was sicker than a dog the whole time. Was chumming all day. Didnt work for me.
Canceled each other’s effect?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think a huge part of it is mental. The number of people I have seen over the years that KNOW they are going to get sick, do... but often over absolutely nothing.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Bonnine won't make you drowsy and does the trick. Also bring some ginger candy
this

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
eat a couple of twinkies

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
IC B3

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I think a huge part of it is mental. The number of people I have seen over the years that KNOW they are going to get sick, do... but often over absolutely nothing.

Not sure about that, been fishing salt for about 40 years, I usually feel solid, once in a while feel queasy, but fight it off, and on a rare occasion get sick as hell, but have not even suspected today was the day I’d get afflicted.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had not heard of Bonnine- or using ginger candy. Last time I used dramamine we got to the hotel and crashed hard. Would like to avoid that on the rare times I might have cause.

I became horribly susceptible to motion sickness even on very modest amusement park rides. Anything that remotely spins gets me turning. I really feel for folks making a long slow boat journey who had it.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I have little experience on the water. Only three separate day trips out of Newport Or.

I got on a Tilt-a-Whirl ONCE in 1974. I was physically ill for three days after. So, like you I figured I was susceptible to seasickness. I asked my Dr., and she prescribed Scopalomine patches. One patch behind an ear is good for three days.

My Son in Law was paying for the excursion, and he was sick as a dog all day, vomiting over the side of the boat. I had an extra patch and got him to try it the next day. He actually enjoyed the trip the second day.

The only time I felt a bit queasy was for a moment as we passed the end of the jetty. Boat Captain says that spot gets everyone.

We were in four to five foot swells with the boat sitting sideways to the waves catching rockfish for a couple hours on one day. As far as my stomach went, it was no worse than ripples on the lake while crappie fishing.

To my knowledge they are prescription only.
Descriptions. Scopolamine transdermal patch is used to prevent nausea and vomiting after anesthesia, narcotic pain medicines, and surgery. It is also used to prevent nausea and vomiting caused by motion sickness. Scopolamine belongs to the group of medicines called anticholinergics.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've suffered "motion sickness" more than once! Once puking up my toenails!
A friend finally coaxed me into a fishing trip to Kodiak, AK!

With a flight from DFW to Sea-Tac. Sea-Tac to Anchorage and an aluminum parakeet from Anchorage out to Kodiak...PLUS....3 days bobbing around on the Pacific, I was very apprehensive of "mal-de-mer"!
Oldest kid suggested getting "Sea Bands".
I bought a set at Walgreens!
It's a simple wristband with a button that presses against your wrist.
I bought some Dramamine too....just in case! I just didn't see how a stupid wrist band with a button was going to work that well!!!
Wore them all three flights out to Kodiak.
All was well!
Next day on the boat, one guy got sick* before we even left the harbor. I never had a queasy moment!
That was 2010!
In 2012, we went back to Kodiak.
Day 2, the captain took us out to Chiniak Bay in 8 foot seas! Never a burp!

I'm a firm believer in "Sea Bands"! They work for me. I prefer them because there is nothing to ingest. Just wear the band.

* - Sea Bands come in pairs. I gave Don one of my Sea Bands the next day. He fished the next 2 days without a hitch!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
That is me...when I was working tugs and crane barges in Alaska and out the Aleutians, after days off, I KNEW I was going to be sick the first day or so back at sea...and of course I was. I never got over it, first 24 hours was hell...then one of my buds gave me some prescription Promethazine...it either worked or I thought it did...problem solved.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

To a degree. I'm usually fine on the salt, but going out into the gulf of Alaska on a foggy day where you can't see the shore and you have those slow rollers coming in while your soaking bait trying to get a halibut. Gets me right queasy, especially if I'm sleep deprived and ate a crappy breakfast.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In order, the worst three things to bring on the water:

Attitude of pre-planned puking

A hangover

A huge carbs and coffee breakfast...

Best three things to bring:

A positive attitude

Ginger in several forms... ginger ale, hard candy, crystallized, tea, whatever.

A positive attitude

Just remember if you want to settle your stomach right now, look at the horizon, and then imagine a beautiful scene of eating cold, greasey pork chops from a dirty ash tray. Your problem will jump over the side and you will feel much better!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Greasy sausage and greasier bacon!

GTG

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I used to get sea sick every trip when younger, for me stay busy, never just sit and look down, its mental if you get sick puke and get over it!!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In order, the worst three things to bring on the water:

Attitude of pre-planned puking

A hangover

A huge carbs and coffee breakfast...

Best three things to bring:

A positive attitude

Ginger in several forms... ginger ale, hard candy, crystallized, tea, whatever.

A positive attitude

Just remember if you want to settle your stomach right now, look at the horizon, and then imagine a beautiful scene of eating cold, greasey pork chops from a dirty ash tray. Your problem will jump over the side and you will feel much better!

Yep, have only puked twice. First time after a night of heavy drinking. Second time after a fair amount of $hitty coffee (Folgers or Maxwell House???)

Will occasionally get a little nauseous if anchored in heavy seas. Mint candy works well for me.

Getting your "sea legs" also helps. Learn to roll with the waves rather than being tossed around by them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (17Fan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,318
Posts18,487,346
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.