Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Looking to get a chest holster for my 500 S&W with scope. Intend to use it for whitetail hunting this fall. Narrowed it down to 2 of them I kinda like the look of.

Galco makes a all leather unit called the Kodiak Hunter. Very classic styling, appears to have a button snap over the hammer to hold in place. The gun seems like it would lift out more than a true holster draw which I think would allow for a smaller motion profile when you have to draw quickly.

The other is from Gunfighters Inc and is called the Kenai Scoped hunter. This is the 'tacticool' chest rig style holster sporting a kydex shell with some type material cover for the scope that protects it and I assume offers some sort of retention ability. It seems to be super user friendly in terms of adjustability but the ability to draw from it is more of a true holster draw requiring the gun slide through the full length of the holster. Additionally I think the kydex could be a bit louder as well as damage the gun. I emailed the company with some questions but never heard back unfortunately.

Anyone have any experience with either of them? Or have any general insight to offer?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have the Kenai rig with 2 holsters, one for a S&W N-frame and the other a G17. Tacticool maybe but they’re practical and durable. I do love crafted leather but I’d have to choose the GF Inc.

B
BKS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have the Galco kodiak, it is an awesome holster. I used mine with 8 3/8” X frames and a 7.5” BFR.
Buy once cry once.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have the Galco for my 460 XVR…..love it! I did add a slip on sheep skin (fur) pad (for automobile seat belts) to add more cushion for a bit of additional comfort when carrying for extended periods of time!

I much prefer the leather over kydex for a hunting rig as it’s much quieter to carry ….especially when drawing the handgun from the holster! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get ya' one of these to pull the .500 S&W behind ya.'

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Just kidding, kinda.' grin

While I don't have those exact models, I do have Galco's Kodiak Chest Holster and Gunfighter's Kenai Chest Holster.

I've used the GFI Kenai deer hunting, and even managed to draw and shoot a deer, but the Kydex is loud. It's unlikely I'd use a Kydex holster for deer hunting again.

You mentioned tension, unless something has changed, the GFI holsters do not have adjustable tension. They do have videos out on best practice to heat the holster and adjust fit.
Out of the package mine was tight, like I had to stand on the strap and use both hands to pull my gun out tight.

However, were I wearing a chest rig for bear protection while fishing, or something similar, the Kenai would be an excellent choice.

The Galco is okay, still not my favorite chest holster hunting rig, but it works. The plastic around the snaps and nylon webbing straps seem kinda' cheap.

FYI, if you sign up for Galco's mailing list they have sales all the time, 20-25% off.

You said you've made up your mind between those 2, but an alternative you should look at is Simply Rugged. The quality of their leather, holster build, straps, and buckles is well ahead of the other 2 mentioned.

https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecomme...r-Holster.cfm?item_id=157&parent=669

Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. 🤷‍♂️

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Another alternative:

https://www.montanaholster.com

Norm makes good stuff.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Another alternative:

https://www.montanaholster.com

Norm makes good stuff.

Norm makes great holsters.

I probably have more of Norm's holsters than any other maker, at least 10.

But, as far as I know, he doesn't make a holster w/cutout for a scope. Maybe he'd customize one up for you.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Appreciate the input fellas. I think out of what has been said I am still leaning toward the Galco. Its significantly less bulky than the others posted above and the quietness over the kydex is a draw as well.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Diamond D.

Old guy, old guns.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (7mm_Loco, 907brass, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 14,437 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,992
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.