Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey guys, truck prices in the east are starting to go down and it seems that there are a lot of low mile newer 1500's with the 4 cylinder out there. Talk me in to or out of buying one. I have always been a v8 guy but price could dictate what I buy. I will use it mostly for running around the mountains of North Central PA but I will also be towing a light Camper with it.

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them

“John Wayne”
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have driven a Silverado with the 2.7 liter motor a couple of times, not a bad motor. Probably not the choice if you are towing at the limit all the time but fine for everything else.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Around my area they're knocking of a ton of money on Silverados with that motor. Always been fond of the 4x4 with a 5.3L V8, probably not going to change?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If it can haul a bag of golf clubs or a weeks groceries, it's plenty of engine for 3/4 of pickup owners.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The number of pickups going up & down my road that clearly have never hauled anything more than golf clubs is amazing. My wife says it's related to small MANHOODS !!!!!!

"not too grumpy"
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
engineers, research-aholics, gear junkies etc. who thoroughly research a topic and all options before jumping in with their wallet have gravitated to the 2.7 turbo from gm

there are multiple videos out there with the gm engineers who discuss this motor and it's ground up design for truck duty, they had the high tech dual volute turbo in mind and designed the motor around it, the brilliance in the inline big jug long stroke design is very much the old cummins formula, it went so well the first 3 years they added a bunch of power, then went so well the next 2 years they now give it the same long 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty of the diesel...the gm engineers will tell you it's one of only 2 motors they've tried to kill and couldn't...they will also tell you that (at least the newer high output 430 ft/lb 2022.5's and newer) put down more axle torque in 1st gear with the 8-spd than the 2005/6 8.1 big block 4-spd did

it's a fascinating rabbit hole to go down, I have about 40,000 miles (60,000 kms) on my 2022.5 refresh high output and its the best half ton motor choice in the market period. not a gm guy or brand loyal, but I am a research guy and so on this go round it was the 2.7

you cannot go wrong with this motor, it's the 21st century interpretation of the cummins formula, on gas, for a half ton....big jug, long stroke, inline, single turbo...can't seize it, no lifters (common warranty item on the v8's) etc. the 2.7 is the least worked on by the gm techs, gets great mileage when you want/empty etc. but it can pull big time work duty and suck the same fuel as the 6.2 because it can do the same work as the 6.2...at 4000' elevation with naturally aspirated power loss of 3% every 1000' and only 0.05% loss from boosted engines the 2.7 actually has 22 ft/lbs more torque than the 6.2...

anyhow, lots one can learn about this motor or you could just ask on hunting forums lol...you're welcome

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If it can haul a bag of golf clubs or a weeks groceries, it's plenty of engine for 3/4 of pickup owners.

That is why the Ford Maverick is brilliant and I am seeing a lot of them around here.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

That is why the Ford Maverick is brilliant and I am seeing a lot of them around here.

haha I see that too, 90's mini truck crossed with a Subaru baja crossed with a Subaru wrx turbo motor....what's not to love, an awd mini-truck that boogies, throw some Michelin cross climate 2's on it, should be a sweet golf/ski/commute machine lol, maybe even day trip hunting machine also, I just bought one to daily and keep the miles off my half ton, just couldn't bring myself to do a car, will pick it up in about an hour, good value, base xl with the 4k tow and a couple small extra's...boosted 4 bangers are the bomb

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 01/23/24.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
My son bought a 2.7L Silverado about 8 months ago or so in FL. 20K miles now and no problems. It’s his daily driver. Not much off road time because of his schedule, but has had it on the beach a few times. He really likes it.

I drove it last month during a Christmas visit. Seems like a nice truck. Not trading my superduty just yet though.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Recently drove one of the new Colorados with this motor for a bit. Very capable it seems. Mileage is about what you would expect for a motor with that kind of output. Not the mpg of the 3.0 diesel for sure.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
neighbor bought one. He loves it. From riding with him, it seems to do well around town, going to the bar or Home Depot.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stinkycoyote
engineers, research-aholics, gear junkies etc. who thoroughly research a topic and all options before jumping in with their wallet have gravitated to the 2.7 turbo from gm

there are multiple videos out there with the gm engineers who discuss this motor and it's ground up design for truck duty, they had the high tech dual volute turbo in mind and designed the motor around it, the brilliance in the inline big jug long stroke design is very much the old cummins formula, it went so well the first 3 years they added a bunch of power, then went so well the next 2 years they now give it the same long 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty of the diesel...the gm engineers will tell you it's one of only 2 motors they've tried to kill and couldn't...they will also tell you that (at least the newer high output 430 ft/lb 2022.5's and newer) put down more axle torque in 1st gear with the 8-spd than the 2005/6 8.1 big block 4-spd did

it's a fascinating rabbit hole to go down, I have about 40,000 miles (60,000 kms) on my 2022.5 refresh high output and its the best half ton motor choice in the market period. not a gm guy or brand loyal, but I am a research guy and so on this go round it was the 2.7

you cannot go wrong with this motor, it's the 21st century interpretation of the cummins formula, on gas, for a half ton....big jug, long stroke, inline, single turbo...can't seize it, no lifters (common warranty item on the v8's) etc. the 2.7 is the least worked on by the gm techs, gets great mileage when you want/empty etc. but it can pull big time work duty and suck the same fuel as the 6.2 because it can do the same work as the 6.2...at 4000' elevation with naturally aspirated power loss of 3% every 1000' and only 0.05% loss from boosted engines the 2.7 actually has 22 ft/lbs more torque than the 6.2...

anyhow, lots one can learn about this motor or you could just ask on hunting forums lol...you're welcome

Yep. My '22 non-H.O. now has ~33K miles without issue. Just returned from an 1150-mile hunting trip towing a flatbed trailer with a Polaris Ranger, 65-gallon water tank, and a bunch of gear and average 14MPG for the trip. It tows my 25' travel trailer very well. I live at 6K feet elevation and usually camp at 8K or better. If I needed to replace it, I'd probably buy the same truck.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by oldwoody2
The number of pickups going up & down my road that clearly have never hauled anything more than golf clubs is amazing. My wife says it's related to small MANHOODS !!!!!!
How'd she figure that out?

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by oldwoody2
How'd she figure that out?
Ouch!

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Cracks me up, to insinuate a 4 cylinder is like a "6bt cummins". It's not.

Good engine though! A truck engine should always have a longer stroke than the bore diameter. It really helps push that torque down lower in the rpm range, where you need it.

The firing sequence of an inline six does this even better. I'd be willing to bet that the 3.0 duramax does even better, producing even more torque from idle-1800 rpms.

Not to mention, a far smoother engine. I bet that 2.7 must be vibey as fk above 3000 rpms.

Used to patrol the pipeline in 4bt cummins-powered snow cat. That fkn thing would rattle your brain apart.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
I bet that 2.7 must be vibey as fk above 3000 rpms.

Nope, smooth as can be all the way to redline.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Cracks me up, to insinuate a 4 cylinder is like a "6bt cummins". It's not.

Good engine though! A truck engine should always have a longer stroke than the bore diameter. It really helps push that torque down lower in the rpm range, where you need it.

The firing sequence of an inline six does this even better. I'd be willing to bet that the 3.0 duramax does even better, producing even more torque from idle-1800 rpms.

Not to mention, a far smoother engine. I bet that 2.7 must be vibey as fk above 3000 rpms.

Used to patrol the pipeline in 4bt cummins-powered snow cat. That fkn thing would rattle your brain apart.

Cracks me up people can’t read and comprehend lol.

Cummins formula: Inline, extra long stroke, big jugs, single turbo, diesel.

Gm 2.7 formula: Inline, long stroke, big jugs, single turbo, gas.

One is ancient all mechanical (6bt/4bt) turn of last century type sh1t lol and 1200/750 lb motors. Counter balancing likely not much a worry back then.

The other is a clean sheet design using the same FORMULA with everything the latest this century can give us. We get a 21st century TRUCK motor, puts out more torque than gen 1 cummins, weighs so little in comparison to those iron tanks that it can go in midsize platforms, has double the hp. Why long stroke? Wat more torque than hp is why...it’s a truck formula.

Go ahead and run the formula on the rest of the half ton segment motors and see if anyone else as close to cummins as the GM 2.7.

I tried to save y’all some time. I do do my homework, you go ahead and do your own then, or spout off in ignorance which seems the American way lol.

GM is the only one who has developed an actual truck motor for half tons this century. Fords square stroke v6 twin turbos I don’t think qualify as they did put them in trucks but designed from cross platforms. The short stroke v8’s similar, sports cars or trucks. The diesels will be designed for trucks but there is only one true gas truck motor in segment. Doesn’t look like any others are coming either.

We’ve come a long way. The design formula is all truck. The displacement is what it is to meet the power levels they wanted. Big jugs drive turbos more efficiently, that’s why less cylinders, it’s goes on and on. If you’re smarter than the GM engineers who tell you about this in videos online then go ahead and tell us lol.

Or go learn about subject before you jump in on one leg and look the fool.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Haha, you fkn little twatt. I build 4wd engines. I don't care what you read.

The 3.0 inline 6 duramax diesel bests it in everything towing, fuel economy, low end torque. The 2.7 is a good base model engine, but it ain't no inline 6 truck engine bud.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 02/06/24.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have two Ram trucks with the Cummins 6.7l, my 2500 daily driver and 3500 for towing my race car trailer. That is when I am not towing it with my RV that has a 8.9l Cummins. Also have a 2017 BMW X5 35d with their 3.0l inline six. I am a huge fan of inline 6 diesel engines. I like their torque curve and they are a bit easier to navigate around the engine bay when necessary in my opinion.

The odd ball is our 2012 Beetle with an inline 5 cylinder. It is gas and I am not sure of the design, but it is shockingly smooth at idle and higher RPMs.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (01Foreman400, 338Rules, 406_SBC, 1minute, 1_deuce, 21 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,089
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.