Hop To
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Al,

Excellent analysis!

I am one of the apparently few folks on the Campfire who's never had Talley LWs break, and have used them on rifles chambered for cartridges up to the .300 Weatherby Magnum, in a Vanguard synthetic-stocked factory rifle. But I lapped those....

Also never had any problem with the original Ultra Light Arms mounts--which were were first made by the Holden Company, which was known for making the Holden see-through mounts. When they went out of business, the Talley and Melvin got together, and Talley agreed to make the mounts for what was by then New Ultra Light Arms--IF they could also make the same mounts for other rifles. But the Ultra Light receivers are very precisely made, so there were not of the misalignment problems that can occur with other rifles.

Also like the "farmer tight" comment....

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Also like the "farmer tight" comment....John

My Dad was a 'farmer tight' guy. When I would ask him how tight a bolt or nut should be, he'd say: "As tight as you can get it. Then a half turn more." grin He was a mechanic in grain elevator. Everything shook loose in that place.

Though not a one piece setup, I've used a couple sets of the Warne 'Vapor' series rings recently. With Warne Maxima bases, they're a nice setup....they really clamp securely on the bases without any cocking. As always, the receivers are the wild card. And people would be surprised if they started measuring scope tube diameters.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
How to make the LW's live.....for the people that would care to do this (single digits, for sure). grin

1. The contact pattern shows how far 'out' of dimension the receiver is for anybody's base/rail:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2. A machined tube (not a lapping bar) align rings when bases are bedded. Screw holes are then radiused:

3. With bedded bases on the receiver, a ground lapping bar drops right in the ring saddles. These are later model LW's w/o the 'pinch point' parting line area on the tops/bottoms:

4. Initial passes with the lapping bar and compound shows just how little contact the scope tube would have with the rings. This isn't a problem with the rings. Again, it just illustrates tolerance stack up typical of any mass produced receiver:

5. Additional passes until it's sufficient for bedding material:

6. Post scope tube bedding and prior to any clean up....100% contact:

7. Since they were the later style with no pinch point, I relieved the parting edges of the caps and checked the fit. Dykem showed about 75% contact with the tube when snugged down. At times, the tops get bedded too:

Since these are 6000 series extrusions, they retain residual stress from the extruding process. Anything you do to bend or force any piece of extruded aluminum out of it's 'as extruded' shape fractures the grain structure....giving a break-on-the-dotted-line scenario. That's why bedding the bases on these is important...so you don't transfer additional stress to the entire ring assembly when you tighten the crap out of them in an attempt to make them fit the receiver. Once these are treated and bedded properly, they come up to 'tight' instantly...like a well done pillar bedding job does.

Again....if someone wants a set of LW-style mounts and doesn't want to do the work or spend the small amount of time required to get them right....that's totally understandable. There are other options I point people to then. They aren't going to fit the receiver any better because that's a receiver issue, not a ring issue. The vast majority of hunters and shooters just want something they can take out of the bubble pack, bolt on farmer-tight and feel good about their setup. If they knew how little contact everything had, they wouldn't sleep so good. But ignorance is bliss. Sometimes it's better not to know. wink

I work with and mill a lot of aluminum at the race shop and extrussions certainly have their place....you just don't want to add additional stress or have in a flexible application. For that, the various 6061's or 7061's are preferred. For example, 7061-T6 was the choice for this mid plate as there will be flex in one plane only (two directions):

Good shootin' smile -Al

As a general comment regarding aluminum extrusions, the residual stresses Al noted are a known issue and addressed through post-extrude processing via a 2% or so stretch to give tempers such as T3511, T6511, T73511, T76511. However those are usually a bar product and not a near net cross-section.

Al, do you know the AMS identification for the 7061 alloy. I work with 2XXX and 7XXX alloys in the aerospace sector and 7061 is a new one. Always interested in options that are out there.

Last edited by 32_20fan; 08/01/23.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
One of the major advantages of being human, along with opposable thumbs and our knack for designing such wonderful inventions as air conditioning and indoor plumbing, is our ability to learn from others, even if our own experiences don't reflect the same outcomes. I've not personally had trouble with Talley LWs, but I've learned to steer clear of them after seeing so many failures from other folks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How to make the LW's live.....for the people that would care to do this (single digits, for sure). grin

1. The contact pattern shows how far 'out' of dimension the receiver is for anybody's base/rail:

2. A machined tube (not a lapping bar) align rings when bases are bedded. Screw holes are then radiused:

Good shootin' smile -Al

Can also line the bases b/t the receiver, as well as the rings, top and bottom 120 deg., with vinyl 3M electrical tape.

Like they were painted on, but pop right off after removing the screws.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Simple.

P.S. Don't forget to grease the screw threads and head bearing surfaces.

GR

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Al,

I have measured quite a few scope tube diameters! Some didn't come very close to what they were supposed to be, either in inches or millimeters....

I used the phrase "farmer tight" in my book Modern Hunting Optics, in the chapter on mounting scopes. Heard it from a young man raised on a Montana farm, who went from there to gunsmithing school, where the instructors got on him for tightening bolts and screws "farmer tight." At first Brian resented this, but eventually he got a job in a gunsmithing shop in Utah, where he saw the results pretty often.

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 32_20fan
Al, do you know the AMS identification for the 7061 alloy. I work with 2XXX and 7XXX alloys in the aerospace sector and 7061 is a new one. Always interested in options that are out there.

My typo on that one..it's 7075. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 32_20fan

My typo on that one..it's 7075. smile -Al

6061 & 7075 are hard as Woodpecker lips. Ruined a few saw blades on it before I wised up. In the right application it is there to stay.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is an excellent post Al. Appreciate y'all

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Al,

Another thing I thought of was that the original Ultra Light Arms mounts did NOT have the "pinch" found in the first Talley mounts. I don't know why they put the pinch in there, but the deal was done when Dave was still alive. I knew him pretty well too, but the pinch may or may not have been a design feature he decided on.

I never had any problems with the old Holden ULA rings, and the first ULA rifle I tested was a .300 Winchester Magnum Melvin loaned me for a year in 1989-90. It would fire 9-shot groups under an inch with three different loads, using Hornady 165s, the early 180 Barnes X-Bullets, and 200-grain Nosler Partitions--which ain't bad for a rifle that weighed 7 pounds with scope.

The first ULA I owned, however, was a .270 Winchester that weighed 6-1/2 pounds with scope. But I only owned it briefly, since Eileen immediately took it over. It would group three 130-grain Nosler Partitions into 1-1/2"--at 300 yards. She used it as her Main Rifle for nearly a decade, during which she used it from the Arctic Ocean (where it bounced around in an open boat after caribou) to South Carolina, where it killed a feral boar--also traveling in aircraft from jumbo-jets to prop float planes. In between it killed plenty of big game here in Montana.

But the main point is that it NEVER changed point-of-impact during those years. She would fire one shot at 100 yards before each fall hunting season, and it would land within a quarter-inch or so of two inches high at 100 yards. Then she'd go hunting and kill stuff. It only quit doing that after about a decade--when the scope went batschidt.

Was glad when Talley got rid of the "pinch," but never had any trouble with those rings because, as noted earlier, I lapped the pinch away.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
One of the major advantages of being human, along with opposable thumbs and our knack for designing such wonderful inventions as air conditioning and indoor plumbing, is our ability to learn from others, even if our own experiences don't reflect the same outcomes. I've not personally had trouble with Talley LWs, but I've learned to steer clear of them after seeing so many failures from other folks.
Precisely. This! Which is why it baffles me when brand loyalty rears its head. You may not have had a problem with your favorite, but where there’s smoke there’s eventually fire. Hang around here (and other sites with optics forums) and you’ll soon notice a pattern of what works and what doesn’t.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Precisely. This! Which is why it baffles me when brand loyalty rears its head. You may not have had a problem with your favorite, but where there’s smoke there’s eventually fire. Hang around here (and other sites with optics forums) and you’ll soon notice a pattern of what works and what doesn’t.

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Al,

Excellent analysis!

I am one of the apparently few folks on the Campfire who's never had Talley LWs break, and have used them on rifles chambered for cartridges up to the .300 Weatherby Magnum, in a Vanguard synthetic-stocked factory rifle. But I lapped those....

Also never had any problem with the original Ultra Light Arms mounts--which were were first made by the Holden Company, which was known for making the Holden see-through mounts. When they went out of business, the Talley and Melvin got together, and Talley agreed to make the mounts for what was by then New Ultra Light Arms--IF they could also make the same mounts for other rifles. But the Ultra Light receivers are very precisely made, so there were not of the misalignment problems that can occur with other rifles.

Also like the "farmer tight" comment....

John
Same here. Have used the hell out of them and still using them. Use them on ultra light magnun rifles as well. Never had a set break yet. They are light and they work for me

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dre
I have few sets of Talley’s. The most action has been on the tikka 06 with 168s or 180s. Probably over 1000 rounds and Zero issues.
But on the sauer 9.3, they cracked before 100 Rounds. Went with the DNZ game reaper .
Called Talley’s and they replaced them instantly and had anew set in days. Talley’s also replaced another set that didn’t line up well, after I send them a pic.
Great company to work with
Dnz is one of my favorites and what i have used the most lately. Dang good system

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

Gee, let's see about this brand loyalty.

Just went through my big game hunting notes, which I've been keeping since starting to hunt big game in 1966. It turns out that Eileen and I have used either the original Ultra Light Arms mounts (for about the past 15 years made by Talley) or the Talley version on 15 other rifles, five of them ULAs/NULAs. This has been since 1990, when I took my first big game animal with the ULA .300 Winchester Magnum Model 28 previously mentioned. Between us we've taken around 500 big game animals in various places around the world, and 100+ were taken with rifles using the original ULA mounts, or Talleys on other rifles.

None of the mounts ever failed, though some of the scopes did--especially Leupolds after they started going downhill around 2010. Have mentioned that before, and how I eventually gave up on Leupolds made during that post-2010 period, due to having to print out multiple copies of their repair-shop form just to get through one year.

But have never had to do that with either the ULA/NULA mounts, whether made by Holden or Talley, or the Talley Lightweights on our various other rifles. In the past few years I've killed more big game with my Sisk 6.5 PRC than any other rifle--which happens to have one of the older Burris 3-9x40 "Tactical" Fullfield IIs with a 30mm tube, designed to dial in the field, introduced around 20 years ago. The scope has never failed yet, despite being so old. Neither have the Talley rings. Like Eileen's NULA .270, I test-shoot the rifle before each hunting season, and the bullets land right where they did a year earlier.

So yeah, I have some brand loyalty--as long as the brand proves it keeps working.

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Reloder28

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

What are you, a .270 owner?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Gee, let's see about this brand loyalty.

Just went through my big game hunting notes, which I've been keeping since starting to hunt big game in 1966. It turns out that Eileen and I have used either the original Ultra Light Arms mounts (for about the past 15 years made by Talley) or the Talley version on 15 other rifles, five of them ULAs/NULAs. This has been since 1990, when I took my first big game animal with the ULA .300 Winchester Magnum Model 28 previously mentioned. Between us we've taken around 500 big game animals in various places around the world, and 100+ were taken with rifles using the original ULA mounts, or Talleys on other rifles.

None of the mounts ever failed, though some of the scopes did--especially Leupolds after they started going downhill around 2010. Have mentioned that before, and how I eventually gave up on Leupolds made during that post-2010 period, due to having to print out multiple copies of their repair-shop form just to get through one year.

But have never had to do that with either the ULA/NULA mounts, whether made by Holden or Talley, or the Talley Lightweights on our various other rifles. In the past few years I've killed more big game with my Sisk 6.5 PRC than any other rifle--which happens to have one of the older Burris 3-9x40 "Tactical" Fullfield IIs with a 30mm tube, designed to dial in the field, introduced around 20 years ago. The scope has never failed yet, despite being so old. Neither have the Talley rings. Like Eileen's NULA .270, I test-shoot the rifle before each hunting season, and the bullets land right where they did a year earlier.

So yeah, I have some brand loyalty--as long as the brand proves it keeps working.

Yep. Low drama.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've been using Talley's since I toured their facility in Glenrock back in 2000 (MuleDeer happened to be there at the same time but I doubt he remembers meeting me), before they moved to SC and have not experienced any failure of any sort. I have mostly used their steel vertically split rings but have also used many of their LWs. I wish Gary were on this site to address some of the issues but last I saw of him online he was lobstering with T JR. I really don't think they deserve the bad press this thread is presenting.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I had a set break. I still use some of them and they are fine for hunts where I throw another rifle in the truck and have a spare. But I always check them now just to be sure. I wouldn’t take a rifle with them in a situation where i had to rely on that rifle only and could not grab a spare if needed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pass The Tough and hold The Fluff...as you gals try to talk schit pretty. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Never had a vertical failure,but only have dozens. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (2500HD, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 25classic, 61 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,296
Posts18,487,032
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.