Print Thread
Hop To
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Unlike much of America, we didn’t get warm weather until July. I wanted to do my load development in temperatures of 90+ F and work up to a maximum load….that way I won’t have a pressure situation if I’m doing some hot weather hunting!

Anyway, I’ve spent the past two weeks, when I’m not doing a hundred other chores, shooting 3 shot groups, in the heat…..watching for pressure, getting chrono readings, and hoping for good groups. With 6 groups fired, most were right at 3/4”. The best group was 2 grains under today’s load….. it gave a velocity spread of only 3 fps and a 1/2” group. I was not allowing the barrel cool, getting 3 shots on record as fast as I could record the velocity, get back on target, and touch the trigger!

Today I got my first “real” pressure signs…..a heavy bolt lift and some ejector marks on the brass. The last time I shot, two days ago, I thought I was getting close. So, we go back to load #4, load up some rounds and hopefully kill something this year!

In summary, 3 shot groups running around 1/2”, with 270 grain bullets @ around 3K fps mv should be pretty effective when hunting! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 08/01/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
HR IC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd like to see your data buddy. I've got some to try as well.

Semper Fi
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
You got it…I’ll shoot you a pm! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After each shot did you have to point the barrel skyward to shift the powder back into the case against the primer?

Rolly
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Rolly
After each shot did you have to point the barrel skyward to shift the powder back into the case against the primer?

😂 Uh…..nope! She’s packed in there pretty tight! 😉 memtb

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
338 Lapua, 375 RUM, 375 Roy? What are we talkin' here?

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
338 Lapua, 375 RUM, 375 Roy? What are we talkin' here?

.375 AI! My “only” hunting rifle since February 1990! The only changes since ‘90…have been bullets! memtb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb
Unlike much of America, we didn’t get warm weather until July. I wanted to do my load development in temperatures of 90+ F and work up to a maximum load….that way I won’t have a pressure situation if I’m doing some hot weather hunting!

Anyway, I’ve spent the past two weeks, when I’m not doing a hundred other chores, shooting 3 shot groups, in the heat…..watching for pressure, getting chrono readings, and hoping for good groups. With 6 groups fired, most were right at 3/4”. The best group was 2 grains under today’s load….. it gave a velocity spread of only 3 fps and a 1/2” group. I was not allowing the barrel cool, getting 3 shots on record as fast as I could record the velocity, get back on target, and touch the trigger!

Today I got my first “real” pressure signs…..a heavy bolt lift and some ejector marks on the brass. The last time I shot, two days ago, I thought I was getting close. So, we go back to load #4, load up some rounds and hopefully kill something this year!

In summary, 3 shot groups running around 1/2”, with 270 grain bullets @ around 3K fps mv should be pretty effective when hunting! memtb

Knowing you, you are talking 375 H&H with a Barnes bullet. Some more info needed though. For those enquiring mind types. I know your wife shoots a 338wm. Those that make fun of my pics, this is where pics would be great as well!!!!! Come on buddy!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
OK Lawrence…..ya shamed me into it!

And, thanks for the compliment…..I tried to give fairly accurate info! 😉 And it’s actually an 375 AI…..getting those numbers from the H&H would be a challenge! 😁

This photo is of 2 groups, fired 2 days apart, with 2 different loads. The group circled by red is the load I’m going with…..decent group and very low velocity spread! I’m guess’n that a good shooter allowing the barrel to cool between shots would likely tighten that group a bit!

I should work on her rifle as it’s only giving about 1” groups…..but components and projects are providing a good excuse not to mess with it! memtb

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by memtb; 08/02/23.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I salute your shoulder sir!

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B3

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kenjs1
I salute your shoulder sir!

I cheat! 😂 When shooting from the bench…..I use a PAST recoil shield (pad) on my shoulder! memtb

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by memtb

Knowing you, you are talking 375 H&H with a Barnes bullet. Some more info needed though. For those enquiring mind types. I know your wife shoots a 338wm. Those that make fun of my pics, this is where pics would be great as well!!!!! Come on buddy!

Lawrence, I’m pretty sure that I failed to tell you what used to be my wife’s answer when someone questioned her use of the .338 WM, her response was always….. “If you wanna run with the big dogs…..you can’t piss like a pup”! That was usually good for some laughs and a raised eyebrow or two! 😁 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 08/03/23.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (260Remguy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 41rem, 450yukon, 10gaugemag, 36 invisible), 2,186 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,535
Posts18,531,031
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.