Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I have A couple of 22's that throw their first shot from A cold fouled barrel. I start with A clean barrel and chamber, viewed with A bore scope. Shoot ten or so times before shooting groups. If I leave the rifle for A hour or days the first round or two are out of the group. Any idea of how to cure this not the best for A hunting rifle. The two rifles are A 452 CZ and 1416 Anschutz. Thanks...

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have a CZ that does this. Simply a build up in front of the chamber. Give a few strokes with a dry brush either after the last shot or before the next session

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
No its not A dirty chamber or carbon ring. I bought this bore cam just for this reason to make sure I was getting things clean.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
If the presence of heat is keeping the group tight. Then it may be the absence of heat that's causing the first shot flyers.

Bedding, barrel/receiver junction, scope or sight mounts are things that could possibly be effected by the application or absence of heat.

The actual vision of the sight in relation to the target could also be effected by heat.

If the anomalies are not a result of temperature or even if they are. A tedious process of elimination, double checking, ensuring everything excepting the item being eliminated remains exactly the same for every single shot could be a process to consider.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
driftless, he mentioned from a fouled bore. Was very much a carbon ring from my own rifle. The way it is.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank about it. When hunting, the first shot may be the only one you get. Plan accordingly.

Last edited by mrmarklin; 08/03/23.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Having shot rimfire Benchrest for years, I can tell you it's just the nature of the BEAST!!

"not too grumpy"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Earlyagain
If the presence of heat is keeping the group tight. Then it may be the absence of heat that's causing the first shot flyers.

Bedding, barrel/receiver junction, scope or sight mounts are things that could possibly be effected by the application or absence of heat.
I have a 52D that does this. It is definitely due to temperature. So, when shooting groups, I toss the first 2 shots in the dirt. After that, it's fine. Wait 15 minutes, however, and it's back. The longer you wait, the further out it is.

Politics is War by Other Means
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I think something about the consistency of the bullet lube changes after it sits in the barrel for a while.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep. In matches I dump a couple in the dirt first, if it's a previously fouled bore. I dump a bunch more into a sighter target or the dirt first if it's a freshly cleaned bore. The thing is though, in benchrest just shifting the gun in the bags a skinch to get back on target can effect POI enough to move you out of the X-ring (if it's a score target not a group target). No darned wonder I'm going bald....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Rem 541-T HB's are notorious for this.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Along those lines, I think it requires a fairly accurate rifle to recognize a trend like tossing the first round. I think it would be hard to see with a rifle that is only capable of an inch at 50 yards. With a half inch rifle, if it puts one a half inch from the rest of the group it’s easy to see.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I had a 452 varmint that did this. First shot up to 3" from the rest of the group. Nothing helped until I took it apart and noticed a burr on the firing pin. After smoothing it out with emery cloth it was cured.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep, the old time single shot gunsmiths who messed with .22's would fret over the depth and shape of firing pins. Harry Pope would spend hours with stones to fine tune a .22 Ballard firing pin, and prove it with before and after machine rest groups. Often we moderns forget/ignore what the ancients worked out - too much fun re-inventing wheels maybe?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for the feedback. I really want to make the Anschutz work for A squirrel rifle. Going to look at firing pin and try some different ammo. Read this guy on the web that just cleans the chamber not the bore. After hundreds of rounds the barrel is seasoned and cold barrel flyers are gone. Might try that he had all kinds of awards and stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Give it a try. Leaving the bore dirty doesn't do squat for mine.

Politics is War by Other Means
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Yep. In matches I dump a couple in the dirt first, if it's a previously fouled bore. I dump a bunch more into a sighter target or the dirt first if it's a freshly cleaned bore. The thing is though, in benchrest just shifting the gun in the bags a skinch to get back on target can effect POI enough to move you out of the X-ring (if it's a score target not a group target). No darned wonder I'm going bald....

Yup, pretty much the same technique I use. Last time out with my Anschutz 54 I shot 497 20X.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Every rifle will vary+ one of the most accurate factory rifles I ever owned was an Anchutz 1411. It would pretty regularly shoot in the low .2's at 50 yards. Between relays- 10 minutes or so, the first shot at 50 yards would be 3" or so low and progressively move up until round number 5 , after which they would go in one hole. Would have been useless as a squirrel gun.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If I remember right, my 1949 model 52B will send the first one out of the group. After that, it's game on though:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Yep, the old time single shot gunsmiths who messed with .22's would fret over the depth and shape of firing pins. Harry Pope would spend hours with stones to fine tune a .22 Ballard firing pin, and prove it with before and after machine rest groups. Often we moderns forget/ignore what the ancients worked out - too much fun re-inventing wheels maybe?

Yep, you recall my Martini international started throwing a round that I chalked up to other stuff and that degenerated into not firing consistently and a new firing pin got it back to its one hole natural nature.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,428 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,943
Posts18,480,152
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.