Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Will it keep mustelids out of a shed?
On my bucket list!
[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pine Sol and I mean a lot of it did NOT keep a young black bear out of our dry dog food that was stored in an out door shed!!!

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You can soak Carburetors in it, cleans them very well and doesn't harm O-rings.
Soak 24 hours.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Park Circus was trying to take the Nabesna mine property from Kirk Stanley devaluing its value and saying it was full of toxic mining chemicals Kirk maintained Pine oil was used to separate the gold.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Reba
Pine Sol and I mean a lot of it did NOT keep a young black bear out of our dry dog food that was stored in an out door shed!!!
Hope you "invited" it to "dinner" wink

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Stuff might work often....like a battery power radio often does for long periods of time...weeks...months...until that one bear comes along and breaks "the rule".
This...👆

At least, the 11th or 12th trip to Kodiak, utilizing the same protocols to keep bear safe: All deer meat (behind electric fence,) and cooking shelter kept 100 yards from the tent respectively. No food around tent. Honey bucket at 50 yards (downwind) and elevated for viewing pleasure of the usert, allowing to view surrounding area while occupied elsewhere (for bruin watch.) Typical stuff with nary a concern for more than a decade. . .

Last trip 2 years ago. 0430 hours. Hear a plastic container rattle in the distance. Figure a fox had found something. 5 minutes later, the plastic "clunk" of a bucket sounds off close to the tent. Put shoes on, grab the 375 and the 1k lumen light. The boar stands up at 20 yards, displaying a partial leftover of the contents of the honey bucket (that was now laying at it's feet) out of the left side of it's maw. Then, displaying a look of (seemingly!) guilt and humor (both at the same time) on it's face, decided to take Sir John Falstaff's verbiage of "the better part of valor being discretion," and bolted off, never to be seen again on that trip!

It never fails now, that when chatting with one of the 3 other fellows I accompanied on this trip bring it up, the phrase "schist-eating grin" is somehow worked into the conversation each (and every!) time...

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a theory, wholly unsubstantiated, so probably having the same value as the aforementioned honeybucket....... however, I believe any container that remotely resembles a can of SPAM or hash, etc which said troublemaker has previously encountered will not deter a bear regardless the contents. Sometimes you have to "kiss" a few toads to uncover the next reward. The same may be true of associated odors.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The only time I ever had bad bear experiences where when I didn't bring a very small 2-3oz collection of mothballs. The old guys from the 40s and 50s would pepper them around your living areas and the bears would avoid them. I have used them quite a bit on solo hunts. I got brave and started not to bring them and had two bad bear experiences on one trip.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 160user, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,781
Posts18,477,104
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.