Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
September 12th Kansas blackpowder opener.

I'm thinkin' I may slow roll it a little this year.

I've killed a bunch of bucks the 2nd week of September and love hunting the early season.

However, lookin' at my oldest son's bucks on the wall versus his ol' man's (blush), I just might take my kid's advice this year and wait to seriously go after 'em until late October.

The really bigguns' are hard to hunt early, rarely showing themselves 'til rut-crazed November, or so the kid says.

To be honest, I'd rather lounge in the pool versus fighting off sweat, ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes, and snakes anyways. laugh

If I do go early, I'll have to keep my hands in my pocket to keep my trigger finger from gettin' too twitchy.

Anybody else love hunting the early season?

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Always thought hunting Kansas would be a fun endeavor, especially when I've driven across the state.

will be crossing it this September, going back east, or on the way home coming back west to Oregon.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck!

Earliest season in MS is bow. First of Oct.
never have gotten into it. Still way too hot..

Ha. Heck it’s still hot on some days during rifle season. 😂😂.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Same, archery opens Oct 1st here... I used to bow hunt a bit, but it's just too hot, green, and skeetery out early season for me to have ever really gotten into it seriously.

By the time the weather is really getting good for hunting, firearm hits in late Nov, then ML is the beginning of Dec.

Archery runs into Jan, but by the time ML and firearm seasons are over, the deer are all skittish as hell and bunkered down where they know they're not getting shot at. I'm into ice fishing mode by then 🤷‍♂️

Good luck to you OP 😁

Last edited by zcm82; 08/03/23. Reason: addition
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Our regular gun season begins in 12 days.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby

Although a lot of us, in the Low Country at least, will be waiting for it to cool down… with 4 1/2 months of deer season and all.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like September deer hunts. For us, that means youth rifle season. We've killed a few bucks during that time, but always shoot a doe or two. I like that as it gets it out of the way so that it's not as big of a deal for the boys to pass on does during the Nov gun season.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Our bow season starts Sept 30. 2 months from now. Damn, glad you brought that up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Early archery can be a great time if you've been watching a particular buck all summer and have him patterned, catch him coming to food or water. Outside of that, boring and too warm/buggy for me. Chances of a shooter pitter patting down the trail minimal.

I prefer the weather cold(er) and the bucks horned up and stupid. As a rule I'll make sure stands are in place early September and then stay out until week before Halloween at the earliest.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I'll be muzzleloading for mule deer in SW Kansas again.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by cra1948

Although a lot of us, in the Low Country at least, will be waiting for it to cool down… with 4 1/2 months of deer season and all.

4.5 months? Holy cow 🤯

7 days here

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The first deer I see (doe) is getting it. I ran out of meat mid March. Nothing like watching a college football game and grilling a backstrap with a lonestar beer. And a tator of course.

Last edited by Coyote10; 08/04/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I usually inventory the freezers in early October and sort out all the remaining venison so I can see how many I need to kill and when. I think I'm still good on burger and steaks but running low on whole cuts. As I don't do archery, my season starts on October 21 this fall. Will run until mid-January. There will likely also be some nighttime pig hunting thrown in there from mid September until end of April, depending on if they are showing up.

Now with even more aplomb
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Don't get me wrong, I kill enough of them. Killed about 30 last year on depred., but gave about 25 of them away.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I follow. 5 deer in the freezer will generally get my bunch through until August/September. We bought part of a beef last years from some friends, so the deer has stretched a bit longer this year.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Need to check a few rifles, make sure they are on.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Got back from the mountains and this little buck was floating by the house. No holes or any other noticable wounds.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life is good live it while you can.
skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Got back from the mountains and this little buck was floating by the house. No holes or any other noticable wounds.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Man, I hope it isn't an EHD outbreak, or a similar disease.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
We are across the river from you (Sumter Co.) and have 3 more weeks. Don’t really get after them until later though.
Guess I’m not as mad at them as I used to be.

GreggH

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I always get out early in archery season, Oct 1- Jan15, just because it’s The kickoff of the season. But it’s usually hot and buggy. Good thing is that the weeds and grass are usually high and green, good for a ground hunter like me. Last year I killed my archery buck on opening day, in a tee shirt, was probably in the 80’s but I quartered him and hung it all in an old fridge for a few days.

This year I have a great trad only tag for the second weekend in October. It’ll be hot but there’s a real chance at killing a real monster so I’ll be there picking ticks and swatting skeeters. Going to get my bow out and start shooting this week to get tuned up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 74 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,684
Posts18,493,949
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.