Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I donโ€™t think that thing will work on the boat. ๐Ÿ˜ It would need a folding fuselage instead of folding wings. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Simple solution: Longer carriers. Half mile long would work. grin

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A larger version with internal weapons bay might be the cats meow..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Woody.

Would low sonic boom signature be any advantage to a fighter, strike aircraft, or bomber? I have seen no mention of stealth in discussions of this air frame.

While obviously a super sonic bomber to replace the aging B1 fleet would be advantageous, as opposed to the subsonic B2 and B21.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My vision would be strictly the bomber version
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Woody.

Would low sonic boom signature be any advantage to a fighter, strike aircraft, or bomber? I have seen no mention of stealth in discussions of this air frame.

While obviously a super sonic bomber to replace the aging B1 fleet would be advantageous, as opposed to the subsonic B2 and B21.

My vision would be strictly a bomber version as you say to replace our aging Bone fleet..

We know speed has always been a military advantage from its infancy, as in this case faster time to engage targets and get quickly out of harms way is a big plus..

I seriously doubt it would incorporate any stealth enhancing material because of the extreme heat generated besides I think sooner than later that technology unless refined will be defeated by our adversaries..

Woody
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Proof of concept to get rid of the sonic boom that prevents Mach plus flight over inhabited areas during peacetime. I'll bet the area rule plays big in the shape and cross section. If you can get the drag down you can go fast with less power, too, if you're really lucky a turbofan could actually go supercruise. So lots going on here, hope it flies well.

Sonic booms never, ever bothered me, that meant Dad was back or someone was going real fast. But even in the Super Sonic Sixties they were relatively rare, I'd not like to hear hundreds per day.

Canopy looks like it was unbolted from an old F 5.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I miss those days. A flight would go over out of Mountain Home, the windows would rattle a bit. But mostly, it would set off every rooster pheasant within a couple miles. Probably further, but we could hear them within about two miles.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Unimpressed! Bring out the ET models.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
The X-59's mission is to expose communities to the noise levels a low sonic boom commercial aircraft would generate in order to provide the data the FAA and ICAO can use to justify the rule changes that would allow commercial supersonic flights over land. One of the things the NASA test design for the noise surveys has to factor in is the number of noise complaints the public used to file for the old Concorde SST on days it wasn't even flying. Lockheed and Gulfstream both studied low boom supersonic business jets, but investing in these aircraft is a nonstarter until the laws prohibiting supersonic flight over land are changed.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Simple solution: Longer carriers. Half mile long would work. grin

Then it wouldnโ€™t need a tailhook. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I realize this is a concept test design only but I'd like to see the airframe not so dirty with its outboard power plant.. whistle

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kwg020
POp quiz:

What is the ramp speed of a tug ??

kwg
Same as that of an unladen swallow. (Monty Python reference)

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
My vision would be strictly the bomber version
Woody.

My vision would be strictly a bomber version as you say to replace our aging Bone fleet..

We know speed has always been a military advantage from its infancy, as in this case faster time to engage targets and get quickly out of harms way is a big plus..

I seriously doubt it would incorporate any stealth enhancing material because of the extreme heat generated besides I think sooner than later that technology unless refined will be defeated by our adversaries..

Bring back the F 105?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bring back the F 105?

Or the widow maker 104, not to many much faster these days than those old gas guzzling dinosaurs !
grin

Woody
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Yes, Woody.

The 104, the SR 71, Mig 25, all came off the drawing boards 60 to 70 years ago. The science of aerodynamics has progressed little since. Just subtle refinements.

No getting around the Laws of Physics. It takes a lot of fuel to go fast. An aircraft can only carry so much of the stuff. Pretty soon you spend all your time at the tanker.

I was watching a documentary last week. A pilot stated he had to tank 11 times to complete 8 hours of flight time in readiness for combat air support calls over Vietnam.

Might have been a Thud driver? Not sure now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, Woody.

The 104, the SR 71, Mig 25, all came off the drawing boards 60 to 70 years ago. The science of aerodynamics has progressed little since. Just subtle refinements.

No getting around the Laws of Physics. It takes a lot of fuel to go fast. An aircraft can only carry so much of the stuff. Pretty soon you spend all your time at the tanker.

I was watching a documentary last week. A pilot stated he had to tank 11 times to complete 8 hours of flight time in readiness for combat air support calls over Vietnam.

Might have been a Thud driver? Not sure now.

Could have easily been a Thud driver, we saw many inbound strike packages of 105's at dawns early light inbound from Thailand headed N while on our way home from all night air ops..

Tanker anchors we were privy to were located in the Gulf of T however many were down S or in Laos.

Woody
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
POp quiz:

kwg
Walking speed towing and 15MPH on ramp not near aircraft.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
POp quiz:

kwg
Walking speed towing and 15MPH on ramp not near aircraft.
Not according to our guys. It was full bore. I had to put a block on our tractors to lock out 3rd and 4th gears for the rampers. They seem to think they need to hit 4th in there 75ft pull/push and then slam on the brakes and wonder why the shear pins broke.
Our A&Ps tractors were fast and they had no problems pulling the 737's and 747's way faster than taxiing speeds.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,262
Posts18,486,476
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.