Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
For general hunting 100-300 yard shots with confidence that you could make a clean kill in most shot opportunities.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
270 with a high weight retention bullet. I’ve killed several with a WSM and 140 TSX. Never thought I needed more.

Last edited by LowerRiver; 08/05/23.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
.257 or 6.5mm. Bullet? Choose wisely...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
270 Win or 308 Win with heavier high weight retention bullets such as the TTSX.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have taken and been in on the taking of around 100 elk. I have seen them shot with everything from a 243 Win to a 375 H&H. I personally consider the 243 to be too light but it did work on some cows. But, I have never seen it used on a mature bull which is a completely different animal than a cow, and the guy that used the 243 was a local rancher. He could wait for the perfect shot and knew where to place that little 100 gr bullet. In my mind I'd say the 6.5x55 Swede and 270 Win are the lightest that I'd suggest. Never seen one shot with any other 6.5 than the Swede which is why I mention it but I'd imagine any of the new 6.5s would be as effective.

For me I like a happy medium in elk since they come in lots of different sizes and shots can be at any range. 7mm Mag is my favorite round and the one I have used the most.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
270 Win. Sure, lot's have been killed with 6.5s. But the question as phrased is "with confidence that you could make a clean kill in most shot opportunities". To me, that means allowing for a margin of error and steep quartering away angle and less than a 5% chance of an extended extended tracking job.

Last edited by Mike_Dettorre; 08/05/23.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

E
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
E
My Dad's taken several with the 308win using 165gr Interlocks including one bull. None needed tracking. I've taken one with a 270win with Rem factory 150gr corelocks no tracking. I've used more gun than those but I've no experience with less.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just a data point a 308 win @ ~300 yards is the same as a 300 Win Mag @ ~500 yards.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a big fan of and have killed most of my elk with .30 caliber rifles, but....

Quite a few years ago I was on my first DIY, solo Bighorn sheep hunt in one of Montana's Unlimited tag sheep units in the Absaroka Wilderness. By the 3rd morning I hadn't seen a single sheep and shortly after I left my tent I heard an elk bugle not very far from me. The early elk season was open there in the Wilderness and I had my elk tag in my pocket, so I just sat down and waited.

He was walking in my direction through the open lodgepole timber, occasionally stopping and bugling. When I first saw the ivory tips of his dark 6x6 antlers I knew that my sheep hunt was over. He stopped to bugle broadside, about 75 yards from me, and I put a 117 grain Sierra GameKing bullet from my .257 Ackley just behind his right shoulder. He simply collapsed, dead, where he was standing.

He turned out to be my 2nd best 6x6 bull, and I enjoy seeing his shoulder mount on my Trophy Room wall every day.

I have complete faith in that rifle and cartridge, but it is not the first rifle that I grab when I go elk hunting.

I also had friends that would kill their elk every year with their .22-250s, but everything has to be perfect for that caliber.

Proper bullet placement is by far, more important than the caliber of the bullet.

Last edited by buffybr; 08/05/23.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
.25-06 with a 117 interlock

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Coyote10
.25-06 with a 117 interlock

I second this ^^^

If you happen to use a “premium” bullet instead of the Interlock, you’re likely to see similar positive results.

History repeats itself because it worked. If it didn’t work in the first place, it wouldn’t be history but another lost story of insignificance.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
.243 with good bullets.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
.277" is my minimum..

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Friend's wife has killed an adult cow every years with 243 Win and 100 gr TSXs.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
270 Win. (with premium bullets) .308 Win.,30-06 or a 7 REM Mag! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 08/05/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
For me, it's .257.

25-284.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Elk have been taken with old cartridge's like the 25-20 and 22 Savage High Power, but those were in the days of my grandad and every shot had to bring something home for dinner, it is all about WHERE the bullet strikes the animal!
I live in the center of every big game animals territory in Idaho. We are out and about with cows etc and find carcasses of animals lost by hunters. When skinning my wife's trophy whitetail buck last year we found a 25ca bullet between the skin and rib, NO penetration! The tip was barley dented. So besides shot placement do not try to "stretch the barrel". It seems to be too common.
Do not shoot light bullets thinking speed always means more energy. A heavier bullet works best on elk sized game.
When I guided years ago the minimum for elk was 30ca rifle with 180gr or 154gr in a 7mag.

This is simple enough for newbie elk hunters.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
When I lived in Idaho back in the 60’s 30-30’ and sporterized military 30-06’s were the most common with the locals.
Lots of 270’s and some 338’s but the locals stalked their game with their feet instead of long range optics. And horses of course

Rick

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
For general hunting 100-300 yard shots with confidence that you could make a clean kill in most shot opportunities.

So I am wondering, what percentage of the folks who are answering with 243 win/257 roberts or similar when presented with the following scenario:

Your mentoring a young hunter with an either sex tag who has that 243 win/257 roberts in their hands (you have your 270/280/handloaded 7x57 in your hands) and that 325 class 6x6 presents itself at 290 yards quartering away and is starting to act a little nervous..don't look at the young hunter and say - "here, use my rifle works just the same as yours aim thru his body as if you are trying put the bullet just in front of the offside far shoulder"

The reason I propose the above scenario is because that is the question I really think is being asked.

Last edited by Mike_Dettorre; 08/05/23.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre

So I am wondering, what percentage of the folks who are answering with 243 win/257 roberts or similar when presented with the following scenario:

Your mentoring a young hunter with an either sex tag who has that 243 win/257 roberts in their hands (you have your 270/280/handloaded 7x57 in your hands) and that 325 class 6x6 presents itself at 290 yards quartering away and is starting to act a little nervous..don't look at the young hunter and say - "here, use my rifle works just the same as yours aim thru his body as if you are trying put the bullet just in front of the offside far shoulder"

The reason I propose the above scenario is becuase that is the question I really think is being asked.

These types of discussions are hilarious. I figure if you were an actual mentor, you would know and wouldve ensured the young hunter was not only capable but confident in their marksmanship....with their rifle. A 100gr 6mm bullet will kill a bull just as a 130gr 6.8mm bullet will. As long as the range is within the acceptable fps for the bullet to perform (290yds would be a chip shot for 108eldm), fire away.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 08/05/23.
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MAC
I have taken and been in on the taking of around 100 elk. I have seen them shot with everything from a 243 Win to a 375 H&H. I personally consider the 243 to be too light but it did work on some cows. But, I have never seen it used on a mature bull which is a completely different animal than a cow, and the guy that used the 243 was a local rancher. He could wait for the perfect shot and knew where to place that little 100 gr bullet. In my mind I'd say the 6.5x55 Swede and 270 Win are the lightest that I'd suggest. Never seen one shot with any other 6.5 than the Swede which is why I mention it but I'd imagine any of the new 6.5s would be as effective.

For me I like a happy medium in elk since they come in lots of different sizes and shots can be at any range. 7mm Mag is my favorite round and the one I have used the most.
Well there is always lively discussion on the Fire! My personal biases pretty much mirrors the above. There is a difference between bulls and cows and 6mm is on the light side for either IMHO. Not to say it hasn't been done by the 243Win and even smaller cartridges with good bullets and selective shot placement but a quartering away bull at 300 yards as Mike Dettore suggested? Not me. I would consider that to be a 270Win minimum scenario.
Of course there is a huge difference between someone who lives in elk country and has lots of opportunity and someone who travels long distance for a 5 day hunt.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
So remove the "mentoring" aspect, make it just two hunters. I suspect that a good percentage of the pairs of hunters would be having a conversation about using the other rifle. The issue I am discussing above is not can it, the issue is about confidence and how confidence changes when you get out at the margins.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
So remove the "mentoring" aspect, make it just two hunters. I suspect that a good percentage of the pairs of hunters would be having a conversation about using the other rifle. The issue I am discussing above is not can it, the issue is about confidence and how confidence changes when you get out at the margins.

Nothing about the situation you described sounds marginal to me. Obviously depending on atmospheric conditions (ie wind), shooting position, bullet selection, etc.

At 300yds my 6 creed w/ 108eldm is going 2600fps.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've shot a couple with a 270 and several more with 308. I'm 100% comfortable at your given ranges with both cartridges. Personally I won't go below the 270.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
With conventional lead core bullets, I’d say .270. With Barnes or other good mono, a fast .257 or .264. 😎

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by WAM
With conventional lead core bullets, I’d say .270. With Barnes or other good mono, a fast .257 or .264. 😎

That would explain why so many folks believe .24cal, 25cal, 26cal, cartridges don't kill effectively. Narrow wound channels take longer to kill animals.

why match bullets thread

In all seriousness, go read that thread then re-read it.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The right shot placement through a lung (s) the heart means death it’s not theory. Small hole big hole doesn’t make any difference. But the optimal side shot on elk or moose from my experience is more magazine dreaming than real life. If you want to put down a large ungulate rather than where he or she scrambled off to in tough country with the sun going down then you need to break the big bones that they need to run. Shoulder bones broken up with heavy bullets and calibers put them face down — game over cause you most like not only take out the front legs but bone fragments will take out lungs and the heart too. Splintered up hip bones will slow them down but I’ve seen my share of three legged elk climb over the top and feed coyotes.

Rick

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by WAM

That would explain why so many folks believe .24cal, 25cal, 26cal, cartridges don't kill effectively. Narrow wound channels take longer to kill animals.

why match bullets thread

Still a lot of opinion just like this thread. Question asked and answered. Take it for what it’s worth. WAM, out.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by WAM

why match bullets thread

Still a lot of opinion just like this thread. Question asked and answered. Take it for what it’s worth. WAM, out.

There are direct quotes from terminal ballistic studies and experts in the field of study. I would consider that peer reviewed data...not opinion.

You have been led to water.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Ballistics typed on paper is not what always happens in hunting conditions.

What do you think would put an elk down quicker at 100 yards...........
A 220 Swift with with a 55 grain bullet or a 410 grain from a 45-70?

220 Swift energy is 1,004 by the book.
45-70 energy is 895.

I have yet to see a grizzly guide use a 220 Swift, but many carry a 45-70. Yeah I know newer guns can handle potent 45-70 loads, but I have used factory Remington ammo (to old load pressures) in my original 1873 trapdoor to take several elk.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Whokalouie

45-70 energy is 895.

I have yet to see a grizzly guide use a 220 Swift, but many carry a 45-70. Yeah I know newer guns can handle potent 45-70 loads, but I have used factory Remington ammo (to old load pressures) in my original 1873 trapdoor to take several elk.

Soooooooo many people believe in and have blind faith in ft/lbs energy……which means near nothing in the real world. Especially, if larger big game is involved! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Lb ft of energy is irrelevant

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I assume that this was a question, with a dash of sarcasm……if so, my response is a resounding “yes”! memtb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
6mm to 30cal….
Placed right. Dead.
From my adventures, anyway.
If you are a bad shot, go bigger….
You still will miss, but you “had enough gun”.
WWDD?

Have Dog

Will Travel

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by memtb

I assume that this was a question, with a dash of sarcasm……if so, my response is a resounding “yes”! memtb

It was a statement. Pretty clearly written too.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I wouldn't worry too much about a 243 or 25-06 out in the open country in Wyoming and such, since they can travel a bit and usually not end up in some place of hell. Places like Oregon and similar where they can make one leap and its straight down into a nightmare of timber and so damned steeped you have to tie them up to butcher them to keep them from sliding. But hand me a 243, 25-06, whatever and I am still going elk hunting.

I know there are overlap and everyplace has it's own nightmare though.

Haven't killed an elk or seen many killed yet where a good 270 with a decent bullet wouldn't have done the work.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by beretzs
I wouldn't worry too much about a 243 or 25-06 out in the open country in Wyoming and such, since they can travel a bit and usually not end up in some place of hell. Places like Oregon and similar where they can make one leap and its straight down into a nightmare of timber and so damned steeped you have to tie them up to butcher them to keep them from sliding. But hand me a 243, 25-06, whatever and I am still going elk hunting.

I know there are overlap and everyplace has it's own nightmare though.

Haven't killed an elk or seen many killed yet where a good 270 with a decent bullet wouldn't have done the work.

This exactly. ^

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

But a 35 Whelen would have done the work most efficiently

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
In my experience elk are tough animals, I prefer 270 and up with Partition or Barnes bullets.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Try using punctuation….it may help others determine what you are attempting to communicate! 🤬 memtb

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These threads are always fun.

Have seen elk taken with 243 through 375.

From what I have in my safe...

Absolute minimum is 22-250. From what I have seen with a 53gr TSX at 3800fps on deer/antelope. It would kill an elk.

A 270 WCF with 130-150gr bullets is a solid choice.

But my favorite elk cartridge, is one of my 338-06's with a 200-210gr bullet.

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’ll jump into this again!

If the hunter lives in elk country, has many or will have many opportunities to hunt/kill elk, use whatever you want to use….no matter how inadequate! Assuming that wounded elk do not cause you concern!

For the hunter with limited opportunities…..I’ll stay with my suggestion of the 270 Win. with a premium bullet (preferably a Partition or a Barnes mono) as the practical minimum! memtb

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J

Try using punctuation….it may help others determine what you are attempting to communicate! 🤬 memtb

It would not help you.

No go back to waxing about crippled animals while simultaneously suggesting people use bullets that are affected more in wind and produce narrow wound channels. Ironic lol.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 08/06/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475

But a 35 Whelen would have done the work most efficiently

Huh?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This Topic never goes away no matter how hard the Fire beats it with a Ugly stick.

It ain't what you shoot Elk with it's where you shoot them.

I have killed Elk with .223---22-250---30-30---32 Special---.243---.243 A.I.--- 6CM---6.5 CM

.270---30-06---45-70---450 Howell----I've killed more with a .243 than any thing else.

Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shot a bull at 173 yards with a 105 amax & it was like he was hit by a lighting bolt. (high shoulder)
I shot a bull 2 years ago 4 times with my beloved 7saum & partitions. 3 in the boiler room and last one neck, at 150ish. He never took a step but, just wouldn't flinch or fall over.
Spit just happens, sometimes. I've killed lots of bulls with the saum & not had a problem, until I did.

Have Dog

Will Travel

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by wageslave
I shot a bull at 173 yards with a 105 amax & it was like he was hit by a lighting bolt. (high shoulder)
I shot a bull 2 years ago 4 times with my beloved 7saum & partitions. 3 in the boiler room and last one neck, at 150ish. He never took a step but, just wouldn't flinch or fall over.
Spit just happens, sometimes. I've killed lots of bulls with the saum & not had a problem, until I did.

High shoulder…..likely some trauma to the spinal cord, even if not hit directly! A spinal cord shock “Will” do that! 😉 memtb

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Yep, these kind of threads always have a little bit of the "ONE TIME AT BAND CAMP" mentality.

First, under the most ideal conditions and PERFECT shot placement you'll hear how many elk are killed with a .243 WIN: and then it will be stated that it was a cow shot with a .243 and not a mature bull ..... huge difference my friends.

Second, what kind of shot was presented? Was it a perfect broadside shot under 150 yards? Of course smaller calibers will kill an elk under ideal conditions.

LASTLY, what kind of hunter are you? Have you haunted elk for decades and don't really care if the big one gets away? Are you a crack shot that can place an OFFHAND shot at 200 yards into an 8-10 inch vital area?

The OP should, as an ethical hunter, rephrase the question to something like .... "WHAT IS THE MINIMUM CARTRIDGE THAT THE AVERAGE SHOOTER SHOULD BE USING TO HUNT ELK"?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool
Yep, these kind of threads always have a little bit of the "ONE TIME AT BAND CAMP" mentality.

First, under the most ideal conditions and PERFECT shot placement you'll hear how many elk are killed with a .243 WIN: and then it will be stated that it was a cow shot with a .243 and not a mature bull ..... huge difference my friends.

Second, what kind of shot was presented? Was it a perfect broadside shot under 150 yards? Of course smaller calibers will kill an elk under ideal conditions.

LASTLY, what kind of hunter are you? Have you haunted elk for decades and don't really care if the big one gets away? Are you a crack shot that can place an OFFHAND shot at 200 yards into an 8-10 inch vital area?

The OP should, as an ethical hunter, rephrase the question to something like .... "WHAT IS THE MINIMUM CARTRIDGE THAT THE AVERAGE SHOOTER SHOULD BE USING TO HUNT ELK"?

AMEN Brother!

And perhaps edit your last line to: "WHAT IS THE MINIMUM CARTRIDGE THAT THE AVERAGE “ETHICAL” SHOOTER SHOULD BE USING TO HUNT ELK"? memtb

Last edited by memtb; 08/06/23.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

Oops almost forgot..... the minimum for the AVERAGE shooter needs to be something .277 caliber or larger that delivers a minimum of 1500 Foot Pounds of energy at the point of impact.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
What does "1500 ft lbs of energy" achieve?

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Much more than a 6.5 Crapmore.

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Whokalouie

45-70 energy is 895.

“Book energy” by no means indicates penetration capability. But, you already knew that.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
High shoulder…..likely some trauma to the spinal cord, even if not hit directly! A spinal cord shock “Will” do that! 😉 memtb

You speak the truth. smile

Have Dog

Will Travel

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
"ONE TIME AT BAND CAMP" this video reminded about what is wrong with using light cartridges at unethical distances. Fire away.

PS: skip ahead to 37 seconds to hear what all the girls are saying. LOL

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
"ONE TIME AT BAND CAMP" this video reminded about what is wrong with using light cartridges at unethical distances. Fire away.

PS: skip ahead to 37 seconds to hear what all the girls are saying. LOL

This might be the dumbest post in this entire thread. Congratulations.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
243 win.
As long as you’re not trying to break shoulders.
Good bonded or mono 24 cal bullet with in the 300 yard OP range.
Elk aren’t bullet proof. Shot placement over displacement.
How did guys shoot elk with 30/30 or less.
We became too focused on Ft/lb and all the other BS Hype.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Dre
243 win.

Placement is critical ……with anything! Though……few brag about those they wounded with 30-30’s, ect.!

Just like many on these forums, they are every bit as good as Jerry Miculek …..they just don’t have a website! 😉. memtb

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Dre
243 win.

Placement is critical ……with anything! Though……few brag about those they wounded with 30-30’s, ect.! memtb

Even less brag about wounding animals with magnums (I'm mean who knows, but if we can just make up hypotheticals why not?). I'm guessing they just assume "the bullet done blowed up!" In their defense due to recoil they have no idea what happened....

Your constant strawman of "we don't hear about the wounded ones" goes both ways genius.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It’d be pretty cool if folks just mentioned what they used and how they worked rather than hammering one or another about how the other guys choice sucked. As have been said, a lot of stuff works and some people have specific reasons for using what they do.

I guess there’s no fun in that though.

These can be pretty good threads when folks post up what they use, bullets, outcome post shot and let the chips fall where they may.

Last edited by beretzs; 08/06/23.

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Handy, how many dozen elk have you shot to back up your claims.? You are not even proud enough to identify the state in which you live. Probably N.J.

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
30-30’s,32 Win, 38-55’s and even the slow poke 44-40’s put a lot of elk meat on the table. By todays standards where writing a big check and being limited to a week’s hunting I guess you have to adapt and maximize your odds. But lots of locals I hunted with were in good shape, no altitude problems and most importantly understood where elk moved and could track. They also didn’t need a map of which outfitter leased which parcel. Yes animals were wounded which was certainly not uncommon but they were tracked and finished off. If you read much history about meat hunters who supplied the old forts in the prairie or Rockies it was almost rare to put down an animal with one shot ( no scopes) . Buffalo could absorb 2000 grs of bullets or more before bleeding out. Cutting up a bled out elk or deer is a treat. So if 300-400 yards is as close as you can get then that’s no reason to doubt that a good still hunter with good legs and experience can’t do it with less. My late Brother guided and wrangled in Wyoming and Idaho for about fifteen years. He took lots of game starting off with. Win. 64 in 38-55 and a sporterized Enfield 303.

Rick

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Handy, how many dozen elk have you shot to back up your claims.? You are not even proud enough to identify the state in which you live. Probably N.J.

How did you know I live in New Jersey? Haha I tell ya what, I'll be sure to get you some pictures of the two elk I kill this year with a 6mm and "match" bullets. Deal?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You are quite astute in your grasp of the reality, that a miss or poorly placed shot is not desirable……no matter the cartridge!

However, your assumption that all shooters of heavy recoil rifles are like you in their inability to handle recoil, clearly shows that you deny reality! memtb

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Back in the 70's I went to college in Colorado and hunted as much as I could on public land. As a poor college student, I had a well used military Mauser sporter rebarreled to 30 06, with Lyman 48 peep sights. Back then as I remember, a lot of hunters used the .270 win and the 30 06 with a bunch of different other military surplus calibers commonly showing up in sporterized rifles with the guys I hunted with, all poor. Several I knew used the M1 Garand rifle for Elk. In college, I do not remember one person I hunted with in the 70's that had a rifle scope. Conversations about them were generally centered around how unreliable they were.

Fast forward to 1988 when I could afford a guided hunt on private property about an hour away from Aspen. The property owner and guide had to have been 80 years old. One night around the fire after we had been searching for an elk someone shot with a 7mm Magnum which we finally found, he started telling us about all of the Elk lost or took a considerable of tracking to find that were shot with magnum rifles. He was not fond of Magnums for Elk. He said the highest performing rifles for Elk were the 30 06 and 8 x 57 Mauser
in his lifetime.

Last edited by FSJeeper; 08/06/23.
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Would be nice if for once we could dispense with the personal attacks and stick with the facts but I suppose that is too much to ask and it certainly doesn't help to achieve a 10k post count.
Thanks for the replies which have verified my thoughts on cartridges and posters (posers?).

Jack O'Connor
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Minimum for me is a 270win. Over the years I've used a 30-06 the most, but a 270win got it done as well. I hunt elk every year, and have since around 1996. I travel too far and spend too much each year to take anything less than what the 270win brings to the table. Whatever you use, I hope it's a one shot kill.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
In all honesty and with respect to this group I have always found that a clean meat saving kill on elk can be readily accomplished with a steady offhand shot 1-2” behind and level with the base of the ear, I can’t even tell you how many elk I’ve taken with this this shot placement — cause I don’t know. wink

Last edited by Woodpecker; 08/06/23.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Handy, how many dozen so far? We'll see, but I know you won't be showing any cripples that get away.
I haven't shot many elk with a 7mm Mag. a few, but my two pals probably have shot around 100, maybe not that many but close. They have found them excellent elk killers. No one mentioned where the elk was hit in the Aspen country. I know this, not all shots turn out as well as we want for whatever reason, if you don't know that you haven't hunted much. Power doesn't make up for poor shooting, but with a less than perfect hit, it does more damage. As far as shooting elk behind the ear, I would again ask, how many dozen have fallen to these shots? I shot one behind the ear, she was close, and it was just at shooting time being over. I had a good rest and she wasn't far. The only guy I knew that liked that shot, was an old logger because he shot a .243. His nephew's are the 7mm mag. shooters I mentioned earlier. They usually hunted with their uncle and said it took forever to get him a shot. Often they shot the elk for him so they could all go home.

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Coyotehunter

Just maybe my sense of hunting humor runs a bit thin here. But trying to place a “ a steady offhand shot 1-2” behind and level with the base of the ear,” on a ‘ live ‘ elk should, if nothing else, sound impossible if not just plain facetious
But who knows with this crowd

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sorry I miss understood.

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
.270 Winny. First 13 elk I killed was with a Pre 64 Fwt in .270 win. Only centerfire rifle I owned at the time.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve seen a few dozen elk killed. With calibers from .224 to magnum 30s. I have never seen a bad result that was due to anything but poor shooting. In no case have I seen any indication that a little bit more diameter, weight, or speed would have made any difference at all in the outcome.

Majority of my experience is with bulls and many if not most of them shot with 270s. Shoot them where it counts with a bullet that will penetrate and don’t sweat the rest.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my experience cartridges around the .243 Winchester in work fine, but so will .224 centerfires from the .223 on up. I knew a Montana game warden years ago, when the MT Fish, Wildlife & Parks Department used to kill "problem" elk off rancher's haystacks. He preferred the .220 Swift, whether for head or chest shots. He killed hundreds.

Of course, it also depends on hunting conditions. If you're hunting in open country where specific shot placement/angle is more easily acquired, then smaller rounds definitely work. One of my local friends is a retired outfitter who only hunts cows anymore, and he prefers .224 rounds like the .22-250 and .220 Swift, because he doesn't want the bullet to exit--as it did most of the time when he carried a 7mm Remington Magnum while guiding.

Back when I started elk hunting here in Montana in the 1960s, most public-land elk spent much of the rifle season in pretty thick timber, where shots were rarely as long as 100 yards. Consequently most hunters considered the .30-06 with 180s as minimum, but I eventually went to 200-grain Partitions, which proved adequate for any shot angle.

But another factor, even back then, is where I hunted most was close enough to Yellowstone Park to run into grizzlies--partly because that was when the Park had just closed down the open dumps and bears were wandering farther to find food. Never ran into one there, just tracks--but have run into them while elk hunting in other parts of the state, and while pheasant hunting in northwestern Montana on the Flathead Reservation, where several hunters have been mauled in the past few decades. And they keep "expanding." The area where we live didn't have any when we moved here in 1990, but they're found in the both the mountain ranges on either side of the valley--and it won't be long before they're in the valley itself.

Grizzlies are why I tend to prefer something a "little" heavier when hunting in their territory. Twenty years ago I got a bull elk and moose on a horseback hunt in northern British Columbia, in an area where my guide and I ran into 10 grizzlies in nine days of hunting--one of which tried to come in while we were taking apart my bull moose. Luckily, the horses spooked after scenting the bear, warning us, and we managed to get the job done without a problem--though we kept my .300 Winchester Magnum and 9.3x62 handy while taking turns during the dismantling. When we rode out a couple days later, on the main trail that went right past that spot, a big boar was sitting next to what remained of the carcass, his stomach bloated by moose parts.

On the 9th day of that hunt I killed a 6x6 elk in thick riverbottom cover, near where one of the guides in camp had killed a charging grizzly a couple weeks earlier. I used the .300 Winchester on the bull, at the vast range of 75 yards, and didn't feel I was "overgunned" in those circumstances....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I usually hunt elk with no cartridge at all. Just a primer, powder, and a bullet.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last year, when I went on my first Elk hunt (bucket list) I worried about everything, especially my rifle. I kept asking my guide what he recommended after witnessing literally hundreds of kills. His response never changed.

He said bring what you are familiar with and what you shoot well. I brought my old early 70’ s REM 700 BDL .30-06 that I bought new. Practiced out to 550 yards but would limit my shots to 400 or less. It worked! Duh!

168 Barnes TTSX hand load. I admit that I felt under gunned after reading a lot of internet gack, but my guide knew what he was talking about.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sorry I miss understood.

Not really I have a way of screwing up what I meant to say
Rick

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
I usually hunt elk with no cartridge at all. Just a primer, powder, and a bullet.

Gasp! How could you! Considering "pound feet of energy" and all......lol

You wait right here, some elderly folks from Wyoming will be here shortly to scold you....their way is THE way. Ain't that right memtb?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Last year, when I went on my first Elk hunt (bucket list) I worried about everything, especially my rifle. I kept asking my guide what he recommended after witnessing literally hundreds of kills. His response never changed.

He said bring what you are familiar with and what you shoot well. I brought my old early 70’ s REM 700 BDL .30-06 that I bought new. Practiced out to 550 yards but would limit my shots to 400 or less. It worked! Duh!

168 Barnes TTSX hand load. I admit that I felt under gunned after reading a lot of internet gack, but my guide knew what he was talking about.

Sounds like you had a good, smart guide! Congrats on a successful hunt! memtb

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It’d be pretty cool if folks just mentioned what they used and how they worked rather than hammering one or another about how the other guys choice sucked. As have been said, a lot of stuff works and some people have specific reasons for using what they do.

These can be pretty good threads when folks post up what they use, bullets, outcome post shot and let the chips fall where they may.

Well stated

Arcus Venator
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’ve seen a few dozen elk killed. With calibers from .224 to magnum 30s. I have never seen a bad result that was due to anything but poor shooting. In no case have I seen any indication that a little bit more diameter, weight, or speed would have made any difference at all in the outcome.

Majority of my experience is with bulls and many if not most of them shot with 270s. Shoot them where it counts with a bullet that will penetrate and don’t sweat the rest.

Another well stated post.

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have killed at least one elk with each of the following rifles:

.243 Winchester
.25-06 Remington
.270 Winchester
7mm Rem Mag
.300 Savage
.308 Winchester
.30-06 Springfield
.300 Win Mag
8mm Rem Mag
338 Lapua Mag

Some were with handloads, others were with factory ammo and at various distances. The bulk of these were taken with my .30-06 Springfield.

I have personally witnessed others kill elk with all of the above cartridges and each of the following rifles:

6mm Remington
.250-3000 Savage
6.5 Creedmoor
6.5x284 Norma
6.5 PRC
.264 Win Mag
7mm-08 Remington
7x57mm Mauser
.30-40 Krag
.300 WSM
.300 RUM
.338 Win Mag
.375 H&H Mag
.444 Marlin
.450 Marlin
.45-70 Government

My personal preference is for at least a .270 Winchester minimum, but as I just said, cartridges as small as the .243 will do it given the bullet going into vitals.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Good post Scotty

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m going to bet that there are more answers to the question than there are elk killed…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

+1000

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I’m going to bet that there are more answers to the question than there are elk killed…
Yeah and probably the fewer the elk, the more adamant the opinion. ....grin....

Jack O'Connor
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If I cant find grenades then I rig up a sort of a claymore right beside the trail.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I killed my last with a 284 Win which is a 270-class cartridge. That would be as low as I would go generally because I’m from the Midwest and my elk hunting was always limited to 5-7 days and then I’m finished. Rarely have been able to pick my shots.

But like MD I would like something bigger where the grizzly’s tend to be impolite. And for years I carried a 340 Wby with 210-gr TSX’s. Perhaps. Whether falsely or not, it did give me a feeling of reassurance.

As to using the smaller cartridges, I’m sure many have been used to kill elk DRT (does that mean where he finally dropped? 😉). That always reminded me of a comment by Jim Carmichael about “cocktail time calibers (cartridge)” meaning something out of the ordinary enough to yack over a drink later on.

In big, broken and rough country,, use enough cartridge. They deserve it.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
A friend of mine filled his cow tag with a magnum.

A .22 WMR while grouse hunting.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by filmjunkie4ever
I have killed at least one elk with each of the following rifles:

.243 Winchester
.25-06 Remington
.270 Winchester
7mm Rem Mag
.300 Savage
.308 Winchester
.30-06 Springfield
.300 Win Mag
8mm Rem Mag
338 Lapua Mag

Some were with handloads, others were with factory ammo and at various distances. The bulk of these were taken with my .30-06 Springfield.

I have personally witnessed others kill elk with all of the above cartridges and each of the following rifles:

6mm Remington
.250-3000 Savage
6.5 Creedmoor
6.5x284 Norma
6.5 PRC
.264 Win Mag
7mm-08 Remington
7x57mm Mauser
.30-40 Krag
.300 WSM
.300 RUM
.338 Win Mag
.375 H&H Mag
.444 Marlin
.450 Marlin
.45-70 Government

My personal preference is for at least a .270 Winchester minimum, but as I just said, cartridges as small as the .243 will do it given the bullet going into vitals.

You have done a LOT more elk hunting than I have my friend. Thanks for your help with the cow elk in January. 405 yards, 30-06, 178 grain ELD-X. Heck it broke her leg, shattered it really, then went through her heart and she still ran a couple of hundred yards before I could finish her at much shorter range. Wow...

I've only taken three, two with the 30-06 and one big bull with a 7mm Rem Mag using the 175 gr Nosler Partition. All worked. That last one was a bit of a stretch, couldn't have done it without you guys. May well look for another Oregon elk, January 2025. Freezer is still pretty full. smile

Regards, Guy

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Personally, I have slayed elk and mule deer with the following cartridges. Not that it means boo…
.30-06
.308 Win
7mm Weatherby
.300 Weatherby
.35 Whelen

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great pics Guy!

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Great pics Guy!

Thanks! Although 30 years older than the two sturdy fellows in the photo, I wondered why I was having such a hard time getting up the big ridges with them.

Had my heart attack a few weeks later... That told me why I had troubles on that hunt.

It was a good hunt and the cow has been delicious. I'll be back!

Regards, Guy

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Glad you’re on the mend buddy. You’ve got some more to do!

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Cascade
Great pics Guy!

Thanks! Although 30 years older than the two sturdy fellows in the photo, I wondered why I was having such a hard time getting up the big ridges with them.

Had my heart attack a few weeks later... That told me why I had troubles on that hunt.

It was a good hunt and the cow has been delicious. I'll be back!

Regards, Guy

It was a great hunt! Love to have you back anytime!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

30-30

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

I have used a .308 Winchester, .30-06 and .338 Win mag to do the described tasks. A .308 or .270 Winchester with 150's would make fine minimums.

Though I don't shoot one, I have three hunting buddies who have used .270 Winchesters to take many elk.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Given the right distance, angle, presentation , and a perfect shot , you can kill them with about anything. BUT, that doesn't always happen, in the real world. Neither myself or my partners have ever hunted with anything less than a 270 nor will they. Two years ago my SIL, took several shots to get a big cow down in the middle of a field shooting a 7 mm Mag, sandbagged on the top of his 4 drawer tool cabinet. Not a long shot just a little inside of 300 yards with a 160 AB . After a few days later he put the rifle back on the bench and found a loose mounting screw, which when tightened back up, moved the scope back to dead center. Anything can happen I believe it was Robert Ruark that stated "bring enough gun". My personal minimum, 7 mm AI or .308

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, the size of the cartridge had nothing to do with the cow taking several shot to get down, right?

Sounds like that could have happened with any cartridge.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My late Brother was a guide and outfitter/wrangler for fifteen years in Western Wyoming but he made his living working as a driller on gas wells North of Rock Springs/Green River. He showed me an old newspaper article about a guy who’s pickup truck overheated and was steaming and hissing so he pulled over to let it cool down. As the article said he had no idea there were elk near the road but he was wrong and a young bull charged his truck and speared his left front fender then got hung up between the tire and fender. He jumped out the truck on the shotgun side and grabbed a crowbar then beat the hung-up bull to death by breaking its neck. Unfortunately I don’t know what caliber the crowbar was but is was enough and the article said he wasn’t cited and reading between the lines kept the meat. Wow

Rick

Last edited by Woodpecker; 08/11/23.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

308 with a very good 180 gr bullet

Scirrocco comes to mind

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Someone here posted an outfitter’s notes from the 40’s or 50’s here a few years ago. It was a list of hunters, what kind of elk they shot, what they shot it with, and maybe how many shots it took.

It was interesting to look back and see what people were using when the 30/06 was a big gun. Many references to the 30/30 and the 250 and 300 Savage IIRC.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

The question is what percentage of shots are you willing to not take -or- what percentage of shots are you willing to try despite a fairly high chance of a screw up and cripple? I have hunted with cartridges as small as the .257 Roberts recognizing that there would be shots I'd happily take with a .300 win mag that I was going to have to pass on with the Roberts. That puts the .257 into the stunt category, not because it won't work, but because it increases the chances of having tag soup at the end of the season if I restrict myself to "ethical" shots.

I think the yardstick you are describing is the .270 Win with 150 or 160 grain bonded or partition bullets or the 7mm-08 or 7x57 with 140 grain or heavier bonded or partition bullets.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I guess it would depend on distance. I have seen 4 cow Rosie's drt with my 7-08 and barns 140. The shots were 200 yards and in. By young hunters. These were big mature cows. Where we hunt in Western Oregon you don't get many really long distance shots. I have a friend who has killed 25 plus bulls with a 270 and 130 grain partition.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are definitely some themes in this thread. The 7-08 and 270 being one of them. Or the Poor Mans 6.5 PRC <G>

Got all 3 of my rifles ready to go - 308, 270, 338 Fed. - gen purpose, longish range, thumper. Or really whichever I have in my hand at the time.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

The reason I propose the above scenario is becuase that is the question I really think is being asked.

These types of discussions are hilarious. I figure if you were an actual mentor, you would know and wouldve ensured the young hunter was not only capable but confident in their marksmanship....with their rifle. A 100gr 6mm bullet will kill a bull just as a 130gr 6.8mm bullet will. As long as the range is within the acceptable fps for the bullet to perform (290yds would be a chip shot for 108eldm), fire away.
Entrance wound shooting a 108eldm out of a .243ai.
Exit wound with a 108eldm at 200yds. Oh shiet it didn't exist and the off side shoulder didn't even get blood shot. A 108eldm isn't a bullet I'd choose for shooting elk.

Life is good live it while you can.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Looks like a dead Elk to me.YMMV Rio7

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’ve carried a 7-08 elk hunting when I had “bigger” rifles in camp so I guess that’s my minimum.

For an any-bull hunt I really care about I’d keep it at 7 WSM on up. The “up” would be my .338 and I’d carry that for a change of luck or if I knew I was gonna be in thicker denser vegetation that day. Otherwise, I’m fine with 7 WSM.

I haven’t hunted Roosevelt’s in the Coast Range here… that would be interesting. They get really big, and the CR vegetation is a jungle. Might go 338 there, but if what I had was my 7 WSM in my hands… or my 30-06… I would lose any sleep.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I have hunted with cartridges as small as the .257 Roberts recognizing that there would be shots I'd happily take with a .300 win mag that I was going to have to pass on with the Roberts. That puts the .257 into the stunt category, not because it won't work, but because it increases the chances of having tag soup at the end of the season if I restrict myself to "ethical" shots.

Here's a photo of a cow Eileen took in 2014 with the .257 Roberts and a 100-grain Barnes TTSX. Obviously the country is timbered, so shots weren't going to be long--and it was mid-September, so they weren't moving much except during early morning and late evening. It took us four days to figure out their pattern, and the shot came close to last legal light.

The cow was angling away at 123 yards, and crumpled at the shot. I was somewhat surprised, as expected it to go maybe 50 yards before falling. But the bullet entered the middle of the right ribs, and ended up in the left shoulder--and between those two points it had gone through both lungs, and because the elk was angling uphill, it also ticked the bottom of the spinal column not far behind the shoulders. Which is why it dropped right there. Its head flopped a couple times, but otherwise it didn't move.

Have seen too many other big game animals taken with "stunt" cartridges to believe it was a fluke--both in North America and Africa. Probably the biggest "stunt" was a kudu bull killed with one shot from a .22-250 with a 55-grain soft-point through the heart. It went maybe 75 yards after the shot--and was shot while running by my hunting partner, a former U.S. Army sniper instructor.

If the bullet expands and penetrates sufficiently through the vitals, then they're dead.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Exit wound with a 108eldm at 200yds. Oh shiet it didn't exist and the off side shoulder didn't even get blood shot. A 108eldm isn't a bullet I'd choose for shooting elk.

Cool. I'll be sure to report back my experience.

What was the distance of the shot and starting muzzle velocity? Also, what killed the elk, just out of curiosity?

(Ps, are you sure you don't have the pics flipped...entrance vs exit?)

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 08/13/23.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
To answer the OP, whatever centerfire rifle I happened to have in my hands at the time I saw said elk in a place I could legally kill it. Yes, I'd happily shoot an elk in the lungs with a 55gn soft-point from a 223 which is the smallest centerfire rifle I own. I'd expect it to get sick and wilt in <10sec just like deer do.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
My late Brother was a guide and outfitter/wrangler for fifteen years in Western Wyoming but he made his living working as a driller on gas wells North of Rock Springs/Green River. He showed me an old newspaper article about a guy who’s pickup truck overheated and was steaming and hissing so he pulled over to let it cool down. As the article said he had no idea there were elk near the road but he was wrong and a young bull charged his truck and speared his left front fender then got hung up between the tire and fender. He jumped out the truck on the shotgun side and grabbed a crowbar then beat the hung-up bull to death by breaking its neck. Unfortunately I don’t know what caliber the crowbar was but is was enough and the article said he wasn’t cited and reading between the lines kept the meat. Wow

Rick

If the crowbar was 2-3#, you don't have to get 14,000-21,000 grains going super-fast to do the job. laugh

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

Entrance wound shooting a 108eldm out of a .243ai.

What do you figure the live weight of this critter was?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm pretty new to elk hunting and I've only killed a few but so far I like my 358 WSM. Elk don't like it at all... This year I might take a 338 WSM if I get it up and running in time.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The only Elk I ever killed was a Cow. We don't see many Elk in Texas. She succumbed to a 140 TTSX from 7 Weatherby Magnum. The round was not necessary but happened to be the only available rifle I had "up & running" at the time. I was much more impressed with bullet performance than any other aspect of the hunt. Oddly, I am not a fan of using the TTSX's. I don't use them. I was simply testing them then.

My minimum cartridge choices would be either a 280 Remington or 308 Winchester.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
While I am a fan of the .243 and think it will kill an Elk no problem with a good shot and the proper bullet I would not use anything less than the .358 Winchester on an Elk. That is of what I already own. What I would use that is not minimum would be my Kimber in .325 WSM for anything over 200 yards and my Winchester 71 .348 if shots would be reliably 200 yards or under.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My hunting group's weapons of choice have been 270 Win, 308 Win, 30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag. One thing that stand out between those calibers is we all use a 150 grain to 180 grain bullets. We hunt meat so cows are the target, and those weight bullets put them down efficiently. we all are resident hunters but if I was paying for a non-resident license and maybe getting only one shot in a 6-7 day hunt at long range at that nice bull, I sure as hell wouldn't be messing around with a 243.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably 6 ARC or 30-30 for me. Wouldn’t feel terribly under gunned with a .357 magnum in a carbine either. I do most of my hunting with a stickbow though, and treat a rifle much the same way.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
Probably 6 ARC or 30-30 for me. Wouldn’t feel terribly under gunned with a .357 magnum in a carbine either. I do most of my hunting with a stickbow though, and treat a rifle much the same way.
Was in an place yesterday you'd love to play with that stickbow.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I would not choose to use anything smaller or less capable than a .25-06 / 120 gr. for hunting elk. The various 6.5mms, .270 and light 7mms seem more sensible minimums to me. I've shot a bunch of elk with .308 and bigger, but not many with smaller calibers.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Most of my friends are ranchers who killed their first elk with 6mm Remingtons, a few used 243's. None of them used "premium" munitions. They used whatever 100 grain ammo that was available and cheap.

Many of these guys still use these cartridges - and bullets, powders and optics have improved quite a bit over the past few decades.

If the bullet penetrates and disrupts the vitals, you'll have a dead elk. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot one with a good, penetrating bullet from a 243.

That said, the smallest I've used is a 120 grain ballistic tip from a 7-08. It worked very well:

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My wife’s first elk was killed with a borrowed .243. She’ll readily admit there was a lot of luck involved!

However now, 50+ years later, with a lot more experience and knowledge of hunting big game…..she would never advocate the use of a .243/6MM on elk.

Can it be done, obviously yes, but why would someone intentionally use this or similar when there are much better choices! memtb

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
My wife’s first elk was killed with a borrowed .243. She’ll readily admit there was a lot of luck involved!

However now, 50+ years later, with a lot more experience and knowledge of hunting big game…..she would never advocate the use of a .243/6MM on elk.

Can it be done, obviously yes, but why would someone intentionally use this or similar when there are much better choices! memtb

No wonder she married you

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
She obviously is a huntress with experience, brains and morals about animals and hunting. Sadly it is lacking in most.

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
She obviously is a huntress with experience, brains and morals about animals and hunting. Sadly it is lacking in most.

Thank You! And she will pass on shots she’s not comfortable with….seemingly a rarity among many! memtb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I carried a 280 rem for alot of elk seasons. Kilt'em dead when I did my part mostly with handloaded 160 gr. Bullets.

Then I thought bigger would be better, so a 338 win mag rolled along. Did good with it, killing 10 elk bulls and cows in ten years. 225 partitions and 250 grain horn interlocks. Liked the big ol' 10 lb. m-70, but my youngest needed some expensive dentistry work so the m-70 turned into cash.

Fell back on the 280 for a few more years only then it dawned on me, the 280 killed elk just as dead as the win mag.

Killed on ol'phat cow with my 257 roberts with 120 gr. Partition in-between somewhere threw all that. Then a few years back my wife drilled a cow at 250-ish yards with my 25-06 and a single 100 grain Partition. The bullet entered right at the rear rib on the right side to be found in the left front leg 'elbow'. Over 3 foot of elk was cleaved with that 'light for elk' bullet. Couple years before that, she killed a cow with a broadside shot with the 1895 marlin 45-70 at about 50 yards with same outcome, dead elk fast.

Shot placement is the secret. Minimum caliber for elk, for me now that my area is infested with 'endangered' needing de-listed Grizzlies is .284 cal or 7mm. Be it from my 280 or my 7 rem mag....

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
280 Remington

Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Letting my 12 year old thump a couple this year with a 240 wby. I suspect they will be just as dead as with anything else.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One thing about these discussions is that the question is, "What is the minimum caliber you'd use on an elk?" when it should be, "What's the minimum caliber you'd use on a bull elk?"

Too often we see people say "I've shot lots of elk with a .243" and they show a picture of a cow. Get close enough and shoot accurately and a .243 is probably fine for a cow. But I'm not going to try and kill a trophy 6x6 with one.

Cows and bulls are often two very different animals when it comes to size. When my oldest went on a cow elk hunt two years, I didn't hesitate to have him use a 6.5 Grendel. Inside of 250 yards it was plenty of gun. If that had been a bull hunt, I would've said .270 minimum.

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still there. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JLH3
One thing about these discussions is that the question is, "What is the minimum caliber you'd use on an elk?" when it should be, "What's the minimum caliber you'd use on a bull elk?"

Too often we see people say "I've shot lots of elk with a .243" and they show a picture of a cow. Get close enough and shoot accurately and a .243 is probably fine for a cow. But I'm not going to try and kill a trophy 6x6 with one.

Cows and bulls are often two very different animals when it comes to size. When my oldest went on a cow elk hunt two years, I didn't hesitate to have him use a 6.5 Grendel. Inside of 250 yards it was plenty of gun. If that had been a bull hunt, I would've said .270 minimum.

Good point! I concur, though I might go a bit farther…….what’s the minimum caliber/cartridge that you would use on a “once in a lifetime” bull elk hunt?

I think that this would be pretty relevant because…..many hunters may only have the opportunity to make their “dream hunt” one time! memtb

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Good point! I concur, though I might go a bit farther…….what’s the minimum caliber/cartridge that you would use on a “once in a lifetime” bull elk hunt?

I think that this would be pretty relevant because…..many hunters may only have the opportunity to make their “dream hunt” one time! memtb
Or just a hunt 1000 miles from home. Huge difference between someone who lives in elk country and may have a month long season and the guy who travels 4 states from home and has 5 days to get his bull (or cow).

Jack O'Connor
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Exactly! Those hunters should be carrying a little extra insurance! memtb

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Exactly! Those hunters should be carrying a little extra insurance! memtb

Not a thing.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Bull is a loose term as well. You also hear “ I killed my bull/s” and they are spikes or rag horns which in many cases are smaller than a big old cow.

Not all elk hunts are the same. Given the right unit/hunt, I’d have no problem at all taking a .243 on a hunt for a mature bull, other hunts/units, not so much.

It always amazes me that every year big bulls are killed on our youth hunts with “smaller” calibers, but as soon as it’s an adult hunt, the elk get a lot tougher. Never mind all the women that can’t handle recoil and kill big bulls every year with cartridges that the “seasoned” hunters find inadequate.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’m guess’n that a lot aren’t killed also! Making an educated decision on firearm use when accessing the type of hunt is never a bad thing!

Many men think that wives and young hunters are incapable of tolerating some recoil. Years ago, fathers thought that starting their kids out with a 410 was a wise decision…..actually just the opposite, by handicapping them with a small shot charge which required more skill to make clean, lethal shots!

There is a vast difference between adequate and optimum! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/19/23.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
starting their kids out with a 410 was a wise decision memtb
BTDT. If there was ever an exercise in humility, shooting quail with a single shot full choke 410 is it.

Jack O'Connor
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
BTDT. If there was ever an exercise in humility, shooting quail with a single shot full choke 410 is it.

Yes…..absolutely! memtb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m guess’n that a lot aren’t killed also! Making an educated decision on firearm use when accessing the type of hunt is never a bad thing!

Many men think that wives and young hunters are incapable of tolerating some recoil. Years ago, fathers thought that starting their kids out with a 410 was a wise decision…..actually just the opposite, by handicapping them with a small shot charge which required more skill to make clean, lethal shots!

You guys are really helping make the counter argument here. The message is, don’t start novice hunters with a firearm that makes proper shot placement more difficult. Very simplistically, with shotguns that means a larger shot pattern. With rifles, it means more accuracy and precision, which means less recoil and less sensitivity to wind and short-range drop.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Right on Jordan. My thoughts, after only a single bull elk, but 60+ head of African game, is that what some consider "adequate" often times become way more than that in the hands of a good shooter with good bullets. In the past, after guiding more than 160 hunters, the biggest problem I saw was that most of them showed up over-gunned and over-scoped.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Right on Jordan. My thoughts, after only a single bull elk, but 60+ head of African game, is that what some consider "adequate" often times become way more than that in the hands of a good shooter with good bullets. In the past, after guiding more than 160 hunters, the biggest problem I saw was that most of them showed up over-gunned and over-scoped.

And under-practiced...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Right on Tom!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

And under-practiced...
You guys have it right. I've guided and witnessed a few hunters that could shoot .300WM+ cartridges well, and a few that couldn't shoot .223- and .243-class cartridges well. But, the trends have been that most rodeos in shot placement on game have involved people obviously over-gunned, while "marginal" cartridges have done the job as well as anything else when appropriate bullets and good shot placement prevailed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

You guys are really helping make the counter argument here. The message is, don’t start novice hunters with a firearm that makes proper shot placement more difficult. Very simplistically, with shotguns that means a larger shot pattern. With rifles, it means more accuracy and precision, which means less recoil and less sensitivity to wind and short-range drop.

I respectfully disagree!

Most any young shooter (that wants to hunt/shoot) in their early teens and older should be fully capable of accurately shooting anything in the .308Win/ 30-06/7 mag range and likely larger more powerful, without difficulty…..Assuming proper stock fit, and a decent recoil pad…. The scoped pkg coming in around 7 1/2 to 8 pounds. I started out @14 with a 6 3/4 pound (didn’t add a scope until I was in my 20’s), with a hard plastic buttplate in .308 Win and didn’t have any difficulty shooting prone, we didn’t have a bench in 1967.

For a younger shooter, a smaller caliber would probably a wise choice…..but keep them with smaller big game…..not elk/moose,ect. ! If large big game is on the menu, then a larger, more powerful cartridge should be used. Most folks on this site love to put a “weed-burner” on darn near anything over a 22 rimfire. Perhaps a brake should be considered if the shooter hasn’t reached their early teens yet, is very small/young shooter, or is timid……perhaps only hunting/shooting to satisfy dad!

I’ll go a step farther……only an exceptional, very accomplished youth shooter should be attempting long range shooting were wind doping, and drop become a significant issue! JMO memtb

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Very likely the majority of those “guided” hunters had far more money than ability! Having a fat wallet can buy you a guide and possibly a trophy…..but not skill! memtb

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nah they just listened to much to a guy from Wyo that told them they needed a 375 to kill a deer.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For a dude...30-06
For a rifleman...something in 6.5 or .270 with correct ammo

/thread

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Nah they just listened to much to a guy from Wyo that told them they needed a 375 to kill a deer.

Bob….kindly remove your head from between your arse cheeks! If your going to attempt communication with adults…..please get your facts straight!

I have never, and will never say or even suggest that anyone “NEEDS” a .375 of any description to kill a deer! In fact it’s quite easy to kill a deer with a 22 rimfire (though illegal in most places)…..if the hunter has adequate hunting/shooting skills.

I use the cartridge because I like it, have faith in it, and shoot it pretty damn well! You shoot anything you like….hopefully you can handle your rifle better than your condescending, smart a$$ attitude! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/20/23.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I do have my facts straight you promote the 375 for everything and everyone on the fire hears you like a broke record. So pull yours out..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I do have my facts straight you promote the 375 for everything and everyone on the fire hears you like a broke record. So pull yours out..mb

Preach!

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Out of curiosity, how many kids have you helped get started in hunting/shooting?

I don’t know very many kids that could shoot a 7 1/2# 06/7 Mag enough comfortably to get sufficient and I’ve helped quit a few kids.

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I respectfully disagree!

Most any young shooter (that wants to hunt/shoot) in their early teens and older should be fully capable of accurately shooting anything in the .308Win/ 30-06/7 mag range and likely larger more powerful, without difficulty…..Assuming proper stock fit, and a decent recoil pad…. The scoped pkg coming in around 7 1/2 to 8 pounds. I started out @14 with a 6 3/4 pound (didn’t add a scope until I was in my 20’s), with a hard plastic buttplate in .308 Win and didn’t have any difficulty shooting prone, we didn’t have a bench in 1967.

For a younger shooter, a smaller caliber would probably a wise choice…..but keep them with smaller big game…..not elk/moose,ect. ! If large big game is on the menu, then a larger, more powerful cartridge should be used. Most folks on this site love to put a “weed-burner” on darn near anything over a 22 rimfire. Perhaps a brake should be considered if the shooter hasn’t reached their early teens yet, is very small/young shooter, or is timid……perhaps only hunting/shooting to satisfy dad!

I’ll go a step farther……only an exceptional, very accomplished youth shooter should be attempting long range shooting were wind doping, and drop become a significant issue! JMO memtb

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Agreed SLM.. I’d have no problem and haven’t with a kid using a 6.5 C or Swede, 25-06, etc. I know a good hunter will be there to help as much as possible with the kill when it comes.

Semper Fi
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hell, I don’t know very many grown men that would put shooting a 7 1/2 pound all up 06/ 7 Mag on top of the fun list. (Me included)

Agreed SLM.. I’d have no problem and haven’t with a kid using a 6.5 C or Swede, 25-06, etc. I know a good hunter will be there to help as much as possible with the kill when it comes.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Probably not. Mine are fit to me. My son’s a lanky Marine and shoots his 7x57 well. I guess I don’t sweat it myself. Our bullets make a lot of stuff a lot better than when we were kids.

Semper Fi
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Absolutely on the bullets. This is always an interesting conversation.

Tell your son thanks for his service.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SLM
Absolutely on the bullets. This is always an interesting conversation.

Tell your son thanks for his service.

Will do. It's amazing, I did 20 years and never sweated it much, I worry about my lad all the time and it's damned near peacetime right now..

I think alot of folks forget the bullets that work so well in the bigger guns make the little guns that may not have been as effective years ago, players in the field nowadays.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Gentlemen, Please go to my answer to the OP, on 8/05/23, and please note that I started with the 270 Win., a .308 Win, a 30-06, and a 7 Rem Mag. Again, I started with the .270 Win, and ended with the 7 Rem Mag….the 7 Rem is pretty tame as magnums go.

If a hunter wants to hunt elk and can’t handle a .270 Win properly…..he/she should take up needle point or golf.

Unless a grown man has some form of disability (shoulder, neck, retina, ect.), or serious age related issues and cannot handle the recoil of an 8 pound (scoped) .270, .308, ect hunting rifle ……. we really have become a nation of pussys!

If this offends any of you ….tough! memtb

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just the opposite, no offense taken at all. I'd rather have a person confident in their rig and their shooting abilities and me putting a good bullet in it, I know will go deep. I used to be in the camp a person was in Heaven on Earth with a 338 but sorta realized smaller stuff works fine as well. I still use bigger stuff when I want, but I don't believe it is totally needed either.

Great topic over all from my grid square.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My findings based on my experiences tell me that it doesn’t matter what the headstamp says or what diameter the bullet starts out. If it puts a hole that’s about 1 to 2 inches in diameter through the vital organs of your quarry you better have a sharp knife and quick.

We are blessed to have bullets available to us in diameters from .224 thru .458 that will consistently give that type of performance when launched from an array of cartridges.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I can't look at it as if I am looking for the smallest round that will kill elk. I like to look at it as the round that will work best in the situation I am going to be hunting elk. A rifle that works pretty good overall is the 30-06. In the thick or at shots up to 500 yards a 30-06 works pretty good with tough pointed bullets. Last time I hunted elk in Wyoming it was out in the Red Desert and I had two rifles, my long shot rifle which was a 300 win mag and my carrying around rifle which was a 30-06. In Washington state I hunted with a Ruger RSI in 308 loaded with 200 grain Nosler Partitions. If the elk is going to be standing next to a pile of hay bales 100 yards away I would still use at least a 7-08. I could use a 243 but I wouldn't.

Dog I rescued in January

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Gentlemen, Please go to my answer to the OP, on 8/05/23, and please note that I started with the 270 Win., a .308 Win, a 30-06, and a 7 Rem Mag. Again, I started with the .270 Win, and ended with the 7 Rem Mag….the 7 Rem is pretty tame as magnums go.

If a hunter wants to hunt elk and can’t handle a .270 Win properly…..he/she should take up needle point or golf.

Unless a grown man has some form of disability (shoulder, neck, retina, ect.), or serious age related issues and cannot handle the recoil of an 8 pound (scoped) .270, .308, ect hunting rifle ……. we really have become a nation of pussys!

You are an idiot.

If that offends you...tough.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

You are an idiot.

I would expect nothing less from you! To allow myself to be offended by you would show a weakness similar to the abundant character flaws that you posess! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/21/23.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J

You are an idiot.

I would expect nothing less from you! To allow myself to be offended by you would show a weakness similar to the abundant character flaws that you posess! memtb

The advice you give should offend everyone with a brain.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My 11 year old wants to use his kimber Adirondack 300 black out on his cow hunt next month. I loaded some 120g tac tx bullets to 2250 and told him if he practices enough ill let him try it on a closer one.

My friend kilked a huge 7x8 bull with a 300 bo ar pistol and subsonic Hornady 190g sub xs. I was giving him crap about it he said it worked and then gave me crap about all the game I killed with arrows.

There's too many variables in the field to make blanket statements on what works and what doesn't you just have to know your equipments abilities and your own limitations in a given situation. Always helps to have a reliable bullet that will expand and penetrate a decent amount at the range you're firing it.

Bb

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Lots of elk are killed every year with broadheads and muzzle loaders. Personally, I've killed more elk with a .270 than anything else. Of course, that was the only rifle I had for a lot of years. It has been my experience that it is a lot harder to FIND elk than it is to kill them.

Although, I used an 8x57 this year.

Last edited by HadsDad; 10/01/23.

Why is abbreviate such a long word
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 12344mag, 16penny, 66 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,824
Posts18,477,888
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.