Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
For general hunting 100-300 yard shots with confidence that you could make a clean kill in most shot opportunities.

308 with a very good 180 gr bullet

Scirrocco comes to mind

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Someone here posted an outfitter’s notes from the 40’s or 50’s here a few years ago. It was a list of hunters, what kind of elk they shot, what they shot it with, and maybe how many shots it took.

It was interesting to look back and see what people were using when the 30/06 was a big gun. Many references to the 30/30 and the 250 and 300 Savage IIRC.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
For general hunting 100-300 yard shots with confidence that you could make a clean kill in most shot opportunities.

The question is what percentage of shots are you willing to not take -or- what percentage of shots are you willing to try despite a fairly high chance of a screw up and cripple? I have hunted with cartridges as small as the .257 Roberts recognizing that there would be shots I'd happily take with a .300 win mag that I was going to have to pass on with the Roberts. That puts the .257 into the stunt category, not because it won't work, but because it increases the chances of having tag soup at the end of the season if I restrict myself to "ethical" shots.

I think the yardstick you are describing is the .270 Win with 150 or 160 grain bonded or partition bullets or the 7mm-08 or 7x57 with 140 grain or heavier bonded or partition bullets.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I guess it would depend on distance. I have seen 4 cow Rosie's drt with my 7-08 and barns 140. The shots were 200 yards and in. By young hunters. These were big mature cows. Where we hunt in Western Oregon you don't get many really long distance shots. I have a friend who has killed 25 plus bulls with a 270 and 130 grain partition.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There are definitely some themes in this thread. The 7-08 and 270 being one of them. Or the Poor Mans 6.5 PRC <G>

Got all 3 of my rifles ready to go - 308, 270, 338 Fed. - gen purpose, longish range, thumper. Or really whichever I have in my hand at the time.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre

So I am wondering, what percentage of the folks who are answering with 243 win/257 roberts or similar when presented with the following scenario:

Your mentoring a young hunter with an either sex tag who has that 243 win/257 roberts in their hands (you have your 270/280/handloaded 7x57 in your hands) and that 325 class 6x6 presents itself at 290 yards quartering away and is starting to act a little nervous..don't look at the young hunter and say - "here, use my rifle works just the same as yours aim thru his body as if you are trying put the bullet just in front of the offside far shoulder"

The reason I propose the above scenario is becuase that is the question I really think is being asked.

These types of discussions are hilarious. I figure if you were an actual mentor, you would know and wouldve ensured the young hunter was not only capable but confident in their marksmanship....with their rifle. A 100gr 6mm bullet will kill a bull just as a 130gr 6.8mm bullet will. As long as the range is within the acceptable fps for the bullet to perform (290yds would be a chip shot for 108eldm), fire away.
Entrance wound shooting a 108eldm out of a .243ai.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Exit wound with a 108eldm at 200yds. Oh shiet it didn't exist and the off side shoulder didn't even get blood shot. A 108eldm isn't a bullet I'd choose for shooting elk.

Life is good live it while you can.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Looks like a dead Elk to me.YMMV Rio7

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’ve carried a 7-08 elk hunting when I had “bigger” rifles in camp so I guess that’s my minimum.

For an any-bull hunt I really care about I’d keep it at 7 WSM on up. The “up” would be my .338 and I’d carry that for a change of luck or if I knew I was gonna be in thicker denser vegetation that day. Otherwise, I’m fine with 7 WSM.

I haven’t hunted Roosevelt’s in the Coast Range here… that would be interesting. They get really big, and the CR vegetation is a jungle. Might go 338 there, but if what I had was my 7 WSM in my hands… or my 30-06… I would lose any sleep.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I have hunted with cartridges as small as the .257 Roberts recognizing that there would be shots I'd happily take with a .300 win mag that I was going to have to pass on with the Roberts. That puts the .257 into the stunt category, not because it won't work, but because it increases the chances of having tag soup at the end of the season if I restrict myself to "ethical" shots.

Here's a photo of a cow Eileen took in 2014 with the .257 Roberts and a 100-grain Barnes TTSX. Obviously the country is timbered, so shots weren't going to be long--and it was mid-September, so they weren't moving much except during early morning and late evening. It took us four days to figure out their pattern, and the shot came close to last legal light.

The cow was angling away at 123 yards, and crumpled at the shot. I was somewhat surprised, as expected it to go maybe 50 yards before falling. But the bullet entered the middle of the right ribs, and ended up in the left shoulder--and between those two points it had gone through both lungs, and because the elk was angling uphill, it also ticked the bottom of the spinal column not far behind the shoulders. Which is why it dropped right there. Its head flopped a couple times, but otherwise it didn't move.

Have seen too many other big game animals taken with "stunt" cartridges to believe it was a fluke--both in North America and Africa. Probably the biggest "stunt" was a kudu bull killed with one shot from a .22-250 with a 55-grain soft-point through the heart. It went maybe 75 yards after the shot--and was shot while running by my hunting partner, a former U.S. Army sniper instructor.

If the bullet expands and penetrates sufficiently through the vitals, then they're dead.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Exit wound with a 108eldm at 200yds. Oh shiet it didn't exist and the off side shoulder didn't even get blood shot. A 108eldm isn't a bullet I'd choose for shooting elk.

Cool. I'll be sure to report back my experience.

What was the distance of the shot and starting muzzle velocity? Also, what killed the elk, just out of curiosity?

(Ps, are you sure you don't have the pics flipped...entrance vs exit?)

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 08/13/23.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
To answer the OP, whatever centerfire rifle I happened to have in my hands at the time I saw said elk in a place I could legally kill it. Yes, I'd happily shoot an elk in the lungs with a 55gn soft-point from a 223 which is the smallest centerfire rifle I own. I'd expect it to get sick and wilt in <10sec just like deer do.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
My late Brother was a guide and outfitter/wrangler for fifteen years in Western Wyoming but he made his living working as a driller on gas wells North of Rock Springs/Green River. He showed me an old newspaper article about a guy who’s pickup truck overheated and was steaming and hissing so he pulled over to let it cool down. As the article said he had no idea there were elk near the road but he was wrong and a young bull charged his truck and speared his left front fender then got hung up between the tire and fender. He jumped out the truck on the shotgun side and grabbed a crowbar then beat the hung-up bull to death by breaking its neck. Unfortunately I don’t know what caliber the crowbar was but is was enough and the article said he wasn’t cited and reading between the lines kept the meat. Wow

Rick

If the crowbar was 2-3#, you don't have to get 14,000-21,000 grains going super-fast to do the job. laugh

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre

So I am wondering, what percentage of the folks who are answering with 243 win/257 roberts or similar when presented with the following scenario:

Your mentoring a young hunter with an either sex tag who has that 243 win/257 roberts in their hands (you have your 270/280/handloaded 7x57 in your hands) and that 325 class 6x6 presents itself at 290 yards quartering away and is starting to act a little nervous..don't look at the young hunter and say - "here, use my rifle works just the same as yours aim thru his body as if you are trying put the bullet just in front of the offside far shoulder"

The reason I propose the above scenario is becuase that is the question I really think is being asked.

These types of discussions are hilarious. I figure if you were an actual mentor, you would know and wouldve ensured the young hunter was not only capable but confident in their marksmanship....with their rifle. A 100gr 6mm bullet will kill a bull just as a 130gr 6.8mm bullet will. As long as the range is within the acceptable fps for the bullet to perform (290yds would be a chip shot for 108eldm), fire away.
Entrance wound shooting a 108eldm out of a .243ai.

What do you figure the live weight of this critter was?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm pretty new to elk hunting and I've only killed a few but so far I like my 358 WSM. Elk don't like it at all... This year I might take a 338 WSM if I get it up and running in time.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The only Elk I ever killed was a Cow. We don't see many Elk in Texas. She succumbed to a 140 TTSX from 7 Weatherby Magnum. The round was not necessary but happened to be the only available rifle I had "up & running" at the time. I was much more impressed with bullet performance than any other aspect of the hunt. Oddly, I am not a fan of using the TTSX's. I don't use them. I was simply testing them then.

My minimum cartridge choices would be either a 280 Remington or 308 Winchester.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
While I am a fan of the .243 and think it will kill an Elk no problem with a good shot and the proper bullet I would not use anything less than the .358 Winchester on an Elk. That is of what I already own. What I would use that is not minimum would be my Kimber in .325 WSM for anything over 200 yards and my Winchester 71 .348 if shots would be reliably 200 yards or under.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My hunting group's weapons of choice have been 270 Win, 308 Win, 30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag. One thing that stand out between those calibers is we all use a 150 grain to 180 grain bullets. We hunt meat so cows are the target, and those weight bullets put them down efficiently. we all are resident hunters but if I was paying for a non-resident license and maybe getting only one shot in a 6-7 day hunt at long range at that nice bull, I sure as hell wouldn't be messing around with a 243.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably 6 ARC or 30-30 for me. Wouldn’t feel terribly under gunned with a .357 magnum in a carbine either. I do most of my hunting with a stickbow though, and treat a rifle much the same way.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
Probably 6 ARC or 30-30 for me. Wouldn’t feel terribly under gunned with a .357 magnum in a carbine either. I do most of my hunting with a stickbow though, and treat a rifle much the same way.
Was in an place yesterday you'd love to play with that stickbow.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I would not choose to use anything smaller or less capable than a .25-06 / 120 gr. for hunting elk. The various 6.5mms, .270 and light 7mms seem more sensible minimums to me. I've shot a bunch of elk with .308 and bigger, but not many with smaller calibers.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

199 members (2500HD, 160user, 69sportfury, 01Foreman400, 300s, 13 invisible), 1,731 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,102
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.