Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I've gleaned a ton of useful insight from Ilya over the years wrt binoculars and (to a lesser degree) scopes. I'm sure many of you have as well.

I've typically stumbled across his posts on here and other related sites, however I recently noticed that he put together a place where he organizes his reviews and random musings on optics stuff.

I'm sure many of you already are aware of it, and I'm late to the game, but for those who weren't aware and/or are just glass geeks, here's the link:

https://opticsthoughts.com/

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
His reviews speak primarily to the optical quality and features of pieces, and not to their mechanical reliability or durability. I get the feeling he spends his time in a lab and not in the field. I have no doubt he knows his stuff, but as a hunter who cares most about reliability in the field, he lacks relevancy. Plus, in some form, he is on the take from Vortex, so obviously his musings favor those POS’s! Perhaps a good place to learn about binoculars, but likely the last place I’d turn to for good riflescope reviews.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 08/05/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
His reviews speak primarily to the optical quality and features of pieces, and not to their mechanical reliability or durability. I get the feeling he spends his time in a lab and not in the field. I have no doubt he knows his stuff, but as a hunter who cares most about reliability in the field, he lacks relevancy. Plus, in some form, he is on the take from Vortex, so obviously his musings favor those POS’s! Perhaps a good place to learn about binoculars, but likely the last place I’d turn to for good riflescope reviews.

Head over to Sniper's Hide and cross reference his stuff there with people who dial their scopes a ton in PRS and other LR shooting games.

A lot better signal to noise ratio than here.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Give us the cliff notes version.....is Koshkin good to go or not?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I'd listen to him more than anyone here. Still a grain of salt sometimes, but less shilly than most, and people back up what he says in real world competition at a high level.

His reviews/opinions are rarely at odds with what people competing are saying. He posts at AR15.com a decent amount.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Koshkin is an optical engineer so he definitely knows what he is talking about

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Does the guy hunt? Being an optical engineer is a good start, but it can also end there too. An engineer without practical application experience isn’t very valuable to me.

I don’t know enough about the guy to put my faith in him or not, but I haven’t seen much testing on impacts and zero retention, and instead lots on chromatic aberration and other such nonsense.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 08/05/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does the guy hunt? Being an optical engineer is a good start, but it can also end there too. An engineer without practical application experience isn’t very valuable to me.

I don’t know enough about the guy to put my faith in him or not, but I haven’t seen much testing on impacts and zero retention, and instead lots on chromatic aberration and other such nonsense.

Like I said, cross reference to AR-15 precision rifle optics forum or snipers hide. Lots of legit high level competition shooters that shoot a lot, dial a lot, and are not easy on their gear, all review the same scopes.

FWIW, optical clarity isn't "nonsense" at all. This is pretty much the only place where any sizeable segment of an optics forum acts like you can't have awesome glass and mechanical reliability.

You can have both. 😉

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by goalie

I'd listen to him more than anyone here. Still a grain of salt sometimes, but less shilly than most, and people back up what he says in real world competition at a high level.

His reviews/opinions are rarely at odds with what people competing are saying. He posts at AR15.com a decent amount.

Thanks. I took him with a grain of salt starting about 10 years ago, but started listening more carefully a couple of years back and can't find much to argue with him about. Last I heard he was impressed with what he'd seen from the Arken's, and in my 300 rd experience with them I have to agree. Appreciate the response goalie.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks. I took him with a grain of salt starting about 10 years ago, but started listening more carefully a couple of years back and can't find much to argue with him about. Last I heard he was impressed with what he'd seen from the Arken's, and in my 300 rd experience with them I have to agree. Appreciate the response goalie.

👍

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Like I said, cross reference to AR-15 precision rifle optics forum or snipers hide. Lots of legit high level competition shooters that shoot a lot, dial a lot, and are not easy on their gear, all review the same scopes.

FWIW, optical clarity isn't "nonsense" at all. This is pretty much the only place where any sizeable segment of an optics forum acts like you can't have awesome glass and mechanical reliability.

You can have both. 😉
I’m not saying optical clarity is nonsense. I’m saying the tiny nuances are. Heck, I know SWFA makes a hell of a scope mechanically (or LOW does) but I don’t buy them because I do like better glass. But if I had to choose between the two due to budget or whatever, I’m taking mechanical integrity over glass subtleties every time.

Yes, I know you can have both. NF and Trijicon do both.

Frankly, because I don’t participate in the shooting games, it lacks relevancy to me. I tend to listen to and put more stock in those who hunt, hard and a lot.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Yeah, I've been hunting big game since 1971 when I was 11. Haven't done the first competition 'cause it's not my thing. I enjoy buying and testing optics/bullets, rifles, etc myself, do take and ask for advice occasionally, and after 350+ big game animals (probably twice that many if you include hogs) I have a decent idea what works for me and how I hunt.

With reference to something goalie said, I do believe a guy can get too wrapped up in internet advice, scope drop tests, throwing a scoped rifle around on purpose, etc. One of my good buddies has killed a few thousand inches of mule deer bucks with a vari-xIIc scope mounted on a Sako rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Weaver Grand Slam Tactical made at LOW that people here would most certainly say "sucks."

It blows away the Chinese options often recommended here in both mechanical accuracy and optical clarity.

Such is life.

But that scope makes me glad I listen to top national PRS shooters over anyone here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Weaver Grand Slam Tactical made at LOW that people here would most certainly say "sucks."

It blows away the Chinese options often recommended here in both mechanical accuracy and optical clarity.

Such is life.

But that scope makes me glad I listen to top national PRS shooters over anyone here.
I’ve owned a few older Japanese Weaver Grad Slam over the years. My sons .308 still wears one. Excellent scopes.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yeah, I've been hunting big game since 1971 when I was 11. Haven't done the first competition 'cause it's not my thing. I enjoy buying and testing optics/bullets, rifles, etc myself, do take and ask for advice occasionally, and after 350+ big game animals (probably twice that many if you include hogs) I have a decent idea what works for me and how I hunt.

With reference to something goalie said, I do believe a guy can get too wrapped up in internet advice, scope drop tests, throwing a scoped rifle around on purpose, etc. One of my good buddies has killed a few thousand inches of mule deer bucks with a vari-xIIc scope mounted on a Sako rifle.
Yep, If and when I have a spare moment, I’m going hunting for real. Not playing hunting games.

A couple of my rifles I’ve owned the longest still wear Vari xiic’s. A Win M70 and a Sav 99. Both still going strong. They don’t make em like they used to.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know Ilya well. We have hunted together, visited each other, speak frequently, and more.

What you don't know... just cracks me up!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
"They don't make 'em like they used to."

I couldn't agree more SD.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I know Ilya well. We have hunted together, visited each other, speak frequently, and more.

So you're saying that listening to him was a good decision???

😁

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by jwp475
Koshkin is an optical engineer so he definitely knows what he is talking about

This.

Comments denigrating him, imo, out of line.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

So you're saying that listening to him was a good decision???

😁
His work affects you on a daily basis and you cannot begin to understand the depth or breadth. I will leave it to him to blow his own horn should he choose to. If he makes a statement of fact about optics you would do well to take heed.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,142 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,663
Posts18,493,629
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.