Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Our overlords go to great lengths to hide how fiat money works.

Money
Great Article. Murray Rothbard’s What Has Government Done to Our Money? is one of my favorites on the subject. I've read it three or four times.

I have not but I will. Since I retired I've fell down the rabbit hole reading how America and most of the world have been screwed by fiat money schemes.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by wahoo
Good analysis...don't think gold is the answer. Sound monetary policy would cause a recession but is the only way I see. Problem is, there is no support for it.

Have you read Free to Choose?
Yes, back in the 1980s, but Friedman is wrong on gold and banking.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good analysis...don't think gold is the answer. Sound monetary policy would cause a recession but is the only way I see. Problem is, there is no support for it.

It is either money backed by a durable easily transportable store of value (gold, silver, platinum, etc.) at a fixed rate of exchange or fake money. There is no other choice.

Unless you count barter. But the problem with barter is when I need lumber or a screwdriver you may not need my goat or eggs.

Last edited by Hastings; 08/05/23. Reason: added 2 words

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Hastings

It is either money backed by a durable easily transportable store of value (gold, silver, platinum, etc.) at a fixed rate of exchange or fake money. There is no other choice.

Unless you count barter. But the problem with barter is when I need lumber or a screwdriver you may not need my goat or eggs.
And you can't make change for a goat. Also, eggs cannot be stored long before they go bad, so you can't give me 100 eggs for my dairy goat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When we were on the gold standard the price of gold was controlled by the U.S. government ($35/troy ounce).

Today gold is on the commodity market, with gold able to deflate to nothing or inflate to no limit. I would think this would seriously complicate using gold as a monetary standard. Say today gold is at $2,000/ounce, next week it's at $2,500/ounce, next year it's at $1,200/ounce. Your currencies value would bounce with it.

Also want to add that I think originally the U.S.'s primary concern about digital currencies such as bitcoin, was that it could displace the dollar. Now that seems unlikely since confidence has been pretty much lost in that vaporware.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
When we were on the gold standard the price of gold was controlled by the U.S. government ($35/troy ounce).

Today gold is on the commodity market, with gold able to deflate to nothing or inflate to no limit. I would think this would seriously complicate using gold as a monetary standard. Say today gold is at $2,000/ounce, next week it's at $2,500/ounce, next year it's at $1,200/ounce. Your currencies value would bounce with it.

Also want to add that I think originally the U.S.'s primary concern about digital currencies such as bitcoin, was that it could displace the dollar. Now that seems unlikely since confidence has been pretty much lost in that vaporware.

Jerry

The reason it is categorized as a commodity these days is so they can manipulate the value and claim it's unsuitable as money. It is a threat to the fiat.
Bitcoin isn't and never will be money.
Now the blockchain concept can take the place of banking , but never money

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Jerry

The value of the gold remains constant. It is the worth of the dollar (or rather the federal reserve notes) that has lost its worth in relation to gold.

That’s the positive point of a gold standard. There’s honestly in its finiteness.

If you bought a 30-30 when they first came out, it’s cost in gold would be approximately it’s same cost in gold today. It’s the federal reserve note that has lost all the value.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Jerry
You suffer from a very fundamental misunderstanding about how that all works.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
one of the problems is that gold has always had different values in different places. One way to even this kind of thing out was by paying for trade with silver here and gold there.

The practical problem with gold is that the amount of gold a govt has times the rate of exchange is ALL the money there is. If you want more money, you have to mine or buy more gold.

If our economy grows through increased productivity or more factories or more services available, unless there is more gold, you are going to experience deflation.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The practical problem with gold is that the amount of gold a govt has times the rate of exchange is ALL the money there is. If you want more money, you have to mine or buy more gold.
Funny how that wasn't a problem for thousands of years. People mainly acquired gold through trade, i.e., you manufacture stuff from raw goods that people want. If they don't already have it, they find the gold to pay for it. What a revolutionary concept.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Every argument against gold as money is monumentally invalid. The only reason gold stopped being our money is that, when that's the case, the bankers and corrupt government officials cannot steal from ordinary productive people. They need a fiat currency for that. There is literally no other reason that gold and silver is no longer permitted to function as money.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Every argument against gold as money is monumentally invalid. The only reason gold stopped being our money is that, when that's the case, the bankers and corrupt government officials cannot steal from ordinary productive people. They need a fiat currency for that. There is literally no other reason that gold and silver is no longer permitted to function as money.
Do you ever get frustrated trying to explain this to people?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by dassa
laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dassa
X2.

That was about the easiest to understand summary of why the government did it that I’ve read.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Russian resources have recovery limitations. These is also a large pain in the ass factor when trying to do business there. I don't think the bankers of the world are organized enough to do what you fear. They are more often responding to events than driving them.

The Invisible Hand is still supreme as a driver of economic forces.

No, the supreme driver of economic forces and all other things is jealousy of Russia, especially Putin's Russia.

And the Jews with their space lasers.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Some might find this entertaining: (episode 339)

https://archive.org/details/OTRR_LoneRanger_Singles

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by plumbum
No, the supreme driver of economic forces and all other things is jealousy of Russia, especially Putin's Russia.

Sarcasm? If not please explain

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by ThirtyThirty
If you bought a 30-30 when they first came out, it’s cost in gold would be approximately it’s same cost in gold today. It’s the federal reserve note that has lost all the value.

New model 1884 in .30wcf was $23 in 1895. Gold was $20.67/oz. So 1.113 oz gold

Today, gold is $1895 over the last year. 1.113 x $1895 = $2109. MSRP for a new 94 carbine is $1200 - $1300.

Last edited by plumbum; 08/05/23.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ThirtyThirty

New model 1884 in .30wcf was $23 in 1895. Gold was $20.67/oz. So 1.113 oz gold

Today, gold is $1895 over the last year. 1.113 x $1895 = $2109. MSRP for a new 94 carbine is $1200 - $1300.

Very good, thanks for doing the math, plumbum. I did say approximately, and at the current rate of inflation it may not take long to narrow the gap. I think my point was valid and pretty spot on.

Come to think of it, I paid $89.00 for my first 30-30 not all that long ago. For them to be $1200-$1300 now I think makes my point very spot on. The further we get from the gold standard the more exponentially disastrous it is.

Last edited by ThirtyThirty; 08/05/23. Reason: add comment

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Hastings

Sarcasm? If not please explain

Very snide sarcasm.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,875
Posts18,497,665
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.