Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
My son and I have an upcoming bear hunt on n Wyoming. Looking for recommendations to get a rug done. I have been considering Rugs By Nancy. Anyone used her?

TIA

Buy once, cry once.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I encourage hunters to get the hide tanned first before deciding on a rug. I've seen hides come back from the tannery that really weren't worth rugging.
This will give you time to research taxidermists and other options. I do prefer rugs that are bordered with felt of a very similar color as it makes the rug appear larger.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Can't say I've used them, but have used Rug-Be Bears (also in Michigan) for my bear and zebra. This is who my local taxidermist uses. They did an excellent job. Just throwing out there for comparison.

Vern, don't know about in AK, but very few tanneries in the lower 48. My guess would be that a lot of taxidermists/ruggers use The Wildlife Gallery in Michigan. I know that's where all my stuff has gone through - everything came back looking great.

Deerhunter, if you want, I can email you a pic or two of my rug? Let me know.

He went over yonder way
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for the response gents.

Vern I appreciate the advice, but as Heeler said, it’s tough to even find a tannery anywhere near me. All the local taxidermist don’t even want to fool with it anymore. They just want to crank out deer shoulder mounts.

Heeler, I would greatly appreciate a couple pics.

Buy once, cry once.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We have plenty of good taxis here in Wyoming. Ask your outfitter who they usually use and then look around that area for others and look them up online.
Which part of the state is your hunt in?

Rugs by Nancy looks like they do good work though.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by wytex
We have plenty of good taxis here in Wyoming. Ask your outfitter who they usually use and then look around that area for others and look them up online.
Which part of the state is your hunt in?

Rugs by Nancy looks like they do good work though.
Dayton, Wyoming

Buy once, cry once.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my son`s first black bear with a bow we did a shoulder mount looks great and less money and i have a bear rug and be honest in a regular house bear rugs just take up to much space. good luck ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555

Vern I appreciate the advice, but as Heeler said, it’s tough to even find a tannery anywhere near me. All the local taxidermist don’t even want to fool with it anymore. They just want to crank out deer shoulder mounts.

Tried PMing you but said you're over the limit?

He went over yonder way
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Heeler

Tried PMing you but said you're over the limit?
Cleared some room

Buy once, cry once.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Washington black bear rug - a bit over 6' long and wide paw to paw... Looks great. My son got one done as well. They take up a fair chunk of wall space or floor space.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My son has another hide tanned and rolled up, not sure he's ever going to have it rugged. It's a little bigger, but where to put it?

Took a grizzly a few years ago, a bit over 8' squared. I just had the tannery do a "soft tan" on it. Local place for me, Okanogan County, Washington. They did a beautiful job on it and the wolf as well. The wolf is hanging by the fireplace, and the grizzly is draped across the footboard of our bed. Both look great and were a lot less expensive than having a rug made.

I traded another black bear hide away - good bear, but nowhere left to display the hide. The meat made great sausage though. smile

The hide of a good bear can be a remarkable thing, and one heck of a "trophy" to display, but they are both big, and expensive to have made. I can get the info of the tannery I used, but I think you're in Ohio, and Washington is a long way away. I'd suspect that there is a good option far closer to you.

Best of luck on your hunt, Guy

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd echo Vern. My dad shot a 500 pounder in PA a few years back. He went with a rug. There is bald/very weak areas of fur where the armpits would be...she cut away what she could and dyed the leather black and it looks pretty bad. I honestly think I'm going to have it redone or something because it's on my wall and I hate looking at it. I understand it'd have to get cut out but there's gotta be a way to make it look better.

That suckers nose is on the ceiling and still touching the floor.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Man Guy, those are absolutely beautiful. I especially like your chocolate bear. I am hoping for a color phase as I have several black ones. This will be my first color phase if I’m successful.

Buy once, cry once.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The chocolate bear was a real treat. I hope that you get one!

It seems like the farther northwest one goes - Idaho, Washington, Oregon, the more "color phase" bears are found. I've seen blonde, cinnamon, chocolate, black and some interesting combos that looked an awful lot like grizz with their dark legs and light colored upper bodies.

I hope that you and your son enjoy your hunt and are successful. My son and I will be after the bears again this season. smile

Regards, Guy

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Cascade
The chocolate bear was a real treat. I hope that you get one!

It seems like the farther northwest one goes - Idaho, Washington, Oregon, the more "color phase" bears are found. I've seen blonde, cinnamon, chocolate, black and some interesting combos that looked an awful lot like grizz with their dark legs and light colored upper bodies.

I hope that you and your son enjoy your hunt and are successful. My son and I will be after the bears again this season. smile

Regards, Guy

Yep. Here in north Idaho in the yard.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VernAK
I encourage hunters to get the hide tanned first before deciding on a rug. I've seen hides come back from the tannery that really weren't worth rugging.
This will give you time to research taxidermists and other options. I do prefer rugs that are bordered with felt of a very similar color as it makes the rug appear larger.
Listen to Vern... I have seen hides come back in terrible shape a number of times...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For tanning, check out the Moyle Mink Farm in Idaho: MOYLE MINK They're said to be very good. They developed their own process for their mink, then expanded to make it a custom tannery.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Last couple of bear I have taken were just done as flat skins. A lot cheaper and they look good tossed over the back of a couch or as a bed covering

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just pay to get a good place to tan it for you. A friend of my dad's had a bear rug done and it shed worse than the dog.

I worked with a guy who called himself a taxidermist and he prided himself on the fact that he could get deer heads done in a month. They looked okay the first year until they dried out then they shed and the lips and eyelids split. A lifetime is too long to look at a cobble job.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
F
F
My son and I have an upcoming bear hunt on n Wyoming. Looking for recommendations to get a rug done. I have been considering Rugs By Nancy. Anyone used her?

TIA

I live just south of Holland, Mi, and used Rugs by Nancy for my bear i shot in 2010. Rug was good then and still looks good. I would use her again. They put the date i shot it and the location on the back of the rug as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MAC
Last couple of bear I have taken were just done as flat skins. A lot cheaper and they look good tossed over the back of a couch or as a bed covering

Yup. I have a couple of mounts and a rug. Skins now

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

717 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 160user, 163bc, 10ring1, 007FJ, 81 invisible), 2,562 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,728
Posts18,494,782
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.