Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
How often do you walk? What time of day or night? How far? How fast? How long time-wise? Hills or flats? Roads, sidewalks, track, trails? Does the weather matter?

Thanks, RS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The best walking is walking away from the refrigerator.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I walk my azz off in preparation for pheasant season. I’ll start in early September, walking 3.5 to 5 miles, four to five times a week. I also walk in the boots that I hunt in, which vary somewhat. I walk fast enough that I dread the workout. By the time I get to South Dakota in late October, I’m good to go. I also supplement this with brutal workouts on an old school Stairmaster. I have one in my detached garage that I do battle with. Pos beats me every time! smile

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I walk on a tread mill 4-5 times a week, 8-10% incline, 4-4.5 mph (just slower than jog), for 30-35 minutes.
I wear sound killing muffs with a radio and listen to music while exercising.
I’m retired, so can do anytime, but I usually do it late afternoon.
I used to jog out doors, but winters prevented it, and most running surfaces are hard on joints. So I bought a tread mill about 25 years ago. I wore it out, and bought another. The second one is getting very worn.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I try to walk every evening after work.

Routine is 2.5hrs which equals at my speed 8 miles.

Sat / sunday i go mornings and evenings.

Its a apshalt walking trail / city street so its all weather and flat. No much elevation in these parts.

I try to go unless it storming / lightning.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We walk every evening for 1-2 miles. I have chit knees so thats about my limit after a long day of work

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Doesn't matter when, where, how how you walk. What matters is getting out and exercising.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Three miles is the norm when my wife and I walk. Usually in the spring and fall, evenings during the week and mornings on the weekends. We don’t walk much during the summer due to heat and I have a lawncare business that keeps me walking and sweating all day. I’d rather ride mountain bikes in the summer heat. Riding seems to be a little cooler in the trees and and shaded trails. Usually ride 10-20 miles depending on time restrictions.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
When I'm not working I do two miles in the neighborhood shortly after sun up. On work days I try to take a break at 9:00 AM and walk eight blocks when I can. The early morning light helps regulate the body for a more regular nights sleep.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Just working a around the house, I put in anywhere from 8,000 steps per day to as many as 22/23 thousand steps per day!

I don’t actually do walking as an exercise……it just comes with my daily activities!

In the winter, when there’s no yard work, I put in about 8 to 9 miles in 25 minutes on a Schwinn Airdyne every other day! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 08/05/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
5 miles a day, 6 days a week. One day off for good behavior. In the foothills around the shack carrying my M1 Garand sans sling.

It's a race to the crest to beat the sunrise, to be there for the free light show. Afterwards it's haul ass back down to the rig.

If the ground is dry or frozen, then it's 25 pushups and 50 stomach crunches. If it's sloppy wet or too deep in snow, then it's back to the shack to do the same, where the chin up bar also awaits.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Up and out at O'dark, fair or foul.

Then in the evening again if have not been out in the field.

This is a good vid on the subject of maintenance exercise.

GR

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you plan to walk outside only suggestion I have is wear a reflective vest or bright colored clothing. If you walk early in the morning before daylight also carry a flashlight to see but also to flash approaching cars to let them know your presence.

I see people in my neighborhood walking with dark clothing or clothing that blends with the surroundings. This makes them hard to see.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Roughly 3 miles 5-6 days per week with 30 lbs weight vest, village and country roads with some slight hills, prairie terrain. First thing in the morning then Johnson and Johnson 7 minute workout app. That and better diet I'm down 50 lbs in a little over a year.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Deans
If you plan to walk outside only suggestion I have is wear a reflective vest or bright colored clothing. If you walk early in the morning before daylight also carry a flashlight to see but also to flash approaching cars to let them know your presence.

I see people in my neighborhood walking with dark clothing or clothing that blends with the surroundings. This makes them hard to see.
I absolutely second wearing reflective clothing, my sister works at a power plant and gave me a jacket and vest, had a car stop once and thank me for wearing it.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Eric308
Originally Posted by Deans

I absolutely second wearing reflective clothing, my sister works at a power plant and gave me a jacket and vest, had a car stop once and thank me for wearing it.
Everyone here already knew you were a bitch.
Lol

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by goalie
The best walking is walking away from the refrigerator.

Thank God you didn't say the cookie drawer.......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I walk every day, one mile with 1# ankle weights. I try to work in a 2-3 mi. walk a couple of times a week, my walking is on sidewalks and asphalt walking paths in city park. I've been doing this for nearly 10 years and have lost 70#, also workout in the gym for one hour M-W-F.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
RipSnort;
Good evening to you, I hope that this first Saturday of the 8th month behaved for you and you're well.

You've received some good responses so far and I'll try to not repeat too many other than to agree with them.

We started walking about 7 years ago now.

Our regimen is to get up at 5:00AM and head out, which means it's dark for about half the year. Our route is through our semi-rural neighborhood which is changes in elevation a few hundred feet but nothing too abrupt and is 2 miles or 3.25km.

We always wear Hi-Viz even though we're walking on our rural road and seldom encounter cars. We're also carrying Sure Fire G2X LE flashlights which we've used to light up a mother bear with a cub and a local idiot bear another time. They don't seem to be able to advance well staring at 600 lumens.

Good shoes are a huge thing for me. I've ended up using Asics but get whatever feels the best and gives you the best support as well as the least discomfort with your gait.

We attempt to walk in all weather, but when it's colder than about -15°F we'll sometimes take a break.

We do walk in the rain, though it's not what either one of us enjoy.

I believe for me it'd be tougher to do if I didn't have another person to walk with - my wife in our case - as we'll each keep the other encouraged to go - because one absolutely does not always feel like doing it.

For me personally there's been a whole bunch of benefit to daily walking, including being able to keep hunting spots in the mountains that I did nearly 40 years ago now.

Hopefully that made sense to you or someone out there and hopefully it encourages folks to get into a daily walking routine.

All the best.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 08/05/23. Reason: more information

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I walk about 3 miles every day. I also walk a lot while working around the place. Right now, I'm building fence about a half mile from the house. I walk up in the morning, and walk down for lunch. Then back up and back down. Probably due to my age, I often forget something and have to walk back to the house to get it. I'm stiff and sore, and hurt everywhere, but I can still walk OK. GD

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 222Sako, 62 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,930
Posts18,498,641
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.