Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Today finds us on the eve of the 78th anniversary of the most famous exclamation of the entire 20th century.

It was from Senchiki Awaya --- “What The F*** Was THAT--?!?!?!?!?

Senchiki was mayor of Hiroshima.

Also notable is the fact that had Enola Gay been unable to fly on August 6, the firecracker would have been dropped by the back-up ---- Big Stink ---- you could not make something like that up.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
👍👍👍

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That bomb and the other just like it prob’ly saved my father’s life (6th Marines), his and lots of others including prob’ly a few million Japanese.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My Dad was a B-29 pilot on Tinian. His crew was to fly a mission that morning but sometime in the wee hours they were awakened and told to stand down. Later they found out why.

RS

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Had “Give em hell Harry” not agreed to drop those two bombs, many of us probably would not be here. The men who would become our dads would have been killed in the invasion of Japan.
I’m very glad those bombs were dropped and that they ended the war against Japan.

NRA Patron
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My dad was in China when they were dropped and was part of the Japan occupation at the wars end.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Dad was in the Navy, somewhere in the Pacific, and the fleet was steaming toward Japan. He always said the dropping of the atomic bombs saved his life.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, my dad was in the Philippines and would have been mobilized for an invasion of Japan. At the same time he had a brother on a shot up destroyer in the South Pacific and another in a German POW camp.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Imagine back to an era, when our nation's leader had the will to actually win a war decisively. The term 'limited engagement' and 'rules of engagement' hadn't been invented. Now we have an endless stream of munitions going out...and an endless stream of casualties coming in...for years. Brilliant politics.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Just fur you DD

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldman03
My Dad was in the Navy, somewhere in the Pacific, and the fleet was steaming toward Japan. He always said the dropping of the atomic bombs saved his life.
Could have been in a fleet with my grandfather.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
If you are a history buff you might like this. Harold "Skinny" Spats flew one of the missions. Our local VFW is named for him in tiny Lebo, Ks. Captured, tortured and beheaded if my memory serves.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Friend of the family was a civilian contractor on Wake Island. Spent the entire war in a prison camp. Was glad that it didn't last any longer.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Glidden, Iowa, near us, was the home of Merle Hay, the first Iowan killed in the First World War.
Also the home of the pilot of the Enola Gay, named after his mother.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I remember discussing the decision to drop the bomb with my friend Gus. He told me he was an ensign at the time. He had been pulled from his job in the radio room of a cruiser, given a landing craft with a two man crew, and told to prepare his little command for the invasion of the home islands of Japan. Gas said he wasn't sorry the Japanese got nuked and neither was his mother.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Nobody with two cents worth of brains is sorry that we nuked Japan, including the Japanese.

Even though the Japanese people were on starvation rations, and their manufacturing capacity had been reduced to zero. The people had arms and supplies stashed for the coming invasion. We even found some warplanes, though they would not have survived long in combat.

Without Hirohito's order to surrender, the taking of Japan would have been Okinawa amplified 1000 times. Millions would have been added to the death tallies of WW II.

And most importantly, Russia would have gotten there to help divide up the spoils.

As it was, we were running Japanese war assets out to sea and scuttling them before the Russians could get there to see them. It was bad enough that the Russians already had the B-29 to dissect and duplicate.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldman03

My dad was on an ammunition ship off the coast of Japan. He said they were about ten miles from the main fleet. Had been sitting there for several days wondering what was about to happen. He believed the bombs saved his life and that of many others.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from atomicarchive.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The only one to survive Vietnam---
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FA-FO.

GR

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, AB2506, Akhutr, 7 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 698 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,226
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.