Originally Posted by tikkanut
Been retired 11.5 yrs now

Haven't missed working at all

Stay busy all the time.....even in the dead of our long winters

Learn how to set your IPhone or other to count your steps

10K steps daily is my daily minimal goal...which is 4-5 miles

Hiking while camping too helps...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I got 25,000 steps riding my atv yesterday!

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The best part of being retired are retirement camping days, that’s Monday through Friday. Come home to tend the garden and mow the lawn on weekend then go ride The Palisade Plunge Saturday on my Mtn bike.

Being bored in western Colorado isn’t a problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I quit working at age 57 in 2008, the week obuma was elected.

I did not need to work and I did not want to pay more income tax to obuma.

When I quit I was designing aircraft electronics, but only charging ~35 hours a week.

When I was 40, I worked over 60 hours per week for multiple clients.

What have i done as a retired person? I fixed broken scissors this week and did a stress calculation on the Aluminum rivet in double shear.

[Linked Image]

Aluminum strength is 30kpsi in shear.
0.125" diameter area = pi r squared = [3.14] [0.016] = 0.049 sq in
It is in double shear, so 0.1 sq in
.1 [30k] = 3,000 pounds
With 10:1 leverage, one would have to pull on the end of the handle with 300 pounds of force

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
When you retire you can live much better. Just make a plan to live more simple and directed. You do not need the same level of expenses, just figure out what you will earn, then adjust your lifestyle. Do you need new vehicles? Do you need to eat out? Do you need new electronics?
I sailed until that was done, then I played golf til I got good (finally had time), then moved to the mountains and live low key. Shooting is now my biggest expense, in my backyard. Don't be afraid to change and simplify life.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
I've worked for myself since I was 27. The day I retire is the day my heart stops and I'll die happy.

Been in the famdamily business for 40+ years.
I'm honestly ready to walk away[close it up].
Within a year I'm thinking.

I'm sure that I'll go to work somewhere as a 'part-time Charlie', but a place where when I'm off the clock I'm unemployed.

FJB & FJT
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Creekside0423
When you retire you can live much better. Just make a plan to live more simple and directed. You do not need the same level of expenses, just figure out what you will earn, then adjust your lifestyle. Do you need new vehicles? Do you need to eat out? Do you need new electronics?
I sailed until that was done, then I played golf til I got good (finally had time), then moved to the mountains and live low key. Shooting is now my biggest expense, in my backyard. Don't be afraid to change and simplify life.

Not afraid at all....just need a plan here.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
I've worked for myself since I was 27. The day I retire is the day my heart stops and I'll die happy.

Been in the famdamily business for 40+ years.
I'm honestly ready to walk away[close it up].
Within a year I'm thinking.

I'm sure that I'll go to work somewhere as a 'part-time Charlie', but a place where when I'm off the clock I'm unemployed.

Family businesses are the worst. You're never paid proper scale for the work you do. Unless you inherit the business, your years of service are a poor investment.

Last edited by STRSWilson; 08/07/23.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The only downside is age, and that will happen whether you retire or not.

Money can be crucial. You'll be on a fixed income while everything else goes up. Even with no debt, there will be taxes, insurance, monthly bills, and the invisible expense of inflation.

I am retired and my income is not fixed. Are not your investments growing?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ward: There is NO "downside" to retiring!
I have been retired for just over 25 years now and if I had known how wonderful retirement really IS, I would have retired 5 years sooner, when I was first eligible.
I have NOT cared what day of the week it is for over two and one half decades and don't even wear a watch anymore.
Life (retirement!) is GOOD!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have just under 9 more years to go.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” Tolkien
IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I guess I am one of the few who loves what I do and like mental stimulation. I think sometimes work is what keeps you alive. I am self employed and would not have it any other way. I hope to die while working if my health will allow to work to that point. Don’t get me wrong , I play hard as well as work hard. I hunt , fish as much as I can but if I did it all the time I would get bored. I am a veterinarian who raises beef cattle on the side and have no desire to retire. Farming is my stress relief. Life is great and I am so thankful.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I went to 6-8 hours per week in April unless i decide to work more and that depends on the weather. Worked 3 days last week, 4 hours this week. I’ll be 71 on Thursday and self employed. Figure i will hand it up either year end 2024 or shortly thereafter.

Last edited by abbydog; 08/07/23.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Forced early retirement at 47. Self-employed till 60. I love retirement, I also planned for it and busted my ass to do it.

Just wish my wife was still here to enjoy our retirement.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
This thread has been very interesting. As a Financial Advisor who spent the last 25 plus years helping people to retire and meet their goals, I struggle with it. I get those that continue to work and those of you who saw the light. My favorite saying is do it while you can. My wife was the caretaker of her parent the last 20 years, doing their shipping, doctors appointments etc. Her father died in October at age 94.

As i have said to her it’s time to make up for the things we didn’t make the time to do. Bought a new camper this year, traveled around, went to Italy for 18 days.
Next year i hope to be away for 4-5 months.
Take advantage of it, tomorrow isn’t guaranteed. I have a 64 yo friend that has advanced Alzheimer’s the last 2 years she doesn’t’ know anyone. Can count 2 more going down that path.

Last edited by abbydog; 08/07/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunted with a guy who had a Boeing fellowship... high stress job.
He was going to take early retirement, but a month before that was to happen, he dropped dead while hunting.

I hunted with another guy at Boeing, a machinist, who took early retirement... he then had a heart attack while hunting with me, but survived with a stent and a pacemaker.

My wife was an engineer, until I talked her into early retirement. Now instead of meeting me at a restaurant for dinner, she stays home and cooks low carb.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Retire,

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only difference between Saturdays and Sundays and the rest of the week is to remind you when you can see people who are still working.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Most financial planners will tell you wait they want more money in their pocket

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've not really retired; I just don't always work. If I'm not working, I always have some other obligation. Days turn into weeks too quickly. I will most likely die while working because I can't seem to stop. I'm trying to get the physical stuff done while I still can. Right now, I'm building fence. It's a one man show in rough terrain, so it's a bit of work. I suppose I'm in my "golden years", but I don't see much gold. I'm 74. GD

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I retired two years ago. It is awesome! I haven't talked my wife into it yet. One of the benefits of her job is paid college tuition for our children. One is out, and the other one lacks two and a half years. She promises to leave after that.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 1badf350, 338reddog, 117LBS, 204guy, 20 invisible), 2,130 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,796
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.