Print Thread
Hop To
D
dale06 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’m considering going on a salmon fishing trip off shore of BC, next summer. Looking at outfits around Queen Charolette Island.

Does anyone know when the normal peak of the king/chinook run in this area?

Thanks

NRA Patron

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went salmon fishing in BC 25 years ago at Bamfield.

I made a long list of everything that went wrong...it was all transportation related. I should have flown in on a sea plane, but I trailered my boat on the ferry.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
RVB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Check this group out....well known and have been around for years:

Langara

Cheers,

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dale06
I’m considering going on a salmon fishing trip off shore of BC, next summer. Looking at outfits around Queen Charolette Island.

Thanks

I fish off the coast of Prince Rupert, I do believe the runs are similar the month of June is prime time!

Prince Rupert is just as good as Queen Charlotte Island IMO, and a whole lot less $$$. I pay $900.00 CDN per day, my best day fishing there I caught 26 salmon in the morning and 35 Halibut in the afternoon, you just can't beat that.

This picture is of 1-morning fishing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 08/09/23.

KB

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by dale06

Thanks

I fish off the coast of Prince Rupert, I do believe the runs are similar the month of June is prime time!

Prince Rupert is just as good as Queen Charlotte Island IMO, and a whole lot less $$$. I pay $900.00 CDN per day, my best day fishing there I caught 26 salmon in the morning and 35 Halibut in the afternoon, you just can't beat that.

This picture is of 1-morning fishing.

You are the Killer

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Not sure if you are fixated on salmon but a sturgeon trip on the Frazer is a dream trip. A nine plus fish fully breaching water is a sight to see. Cheap at ~$1100 for a boat of four. We fished three days and caught 18. The first was 9 1/2 feet. All in beautiful country. Sturgeon Slayers...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Fraser is one of my favorite big rivers. Caught a lot of big chinook out of there.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The Vedder, a tributary of the Fraser, puts out some incredible chinook too. My BIL landed a 68 pound chinook and on that same trip my buddy got a 55# chinook. My biggest off that river was in the mid 40’s.

I don’t think I’d fish sturgeon while the salmon are running but it wouldn’t be the worst thing if you did. 😉. I’ll second Ed’s comment about how hard those big prehistoric monsters get and how hard they fight. It really is incredible to have a 8 or 9 foot several hundred pound fish completely clear the water time and time again and make blistering line clearing runs. I was really surprised by how well they fought and how much sport they were. I think I hooked and landed (released) 10 fish in one tidal exchange and my buddy about 6.

As far as salmon fishing next summer I think if you were to book your trip around the beginning of June you should have a good chance at the chinook heading south. The Queen Charlotte’s are at the top of my fishing bucket list and if all goes as planned I’ll be steaming my trawler north and I’ll be spending time at Rivers Inlet for a few days and then up to Haida Gwaai where I plan to fish hard for at least a week. The places and the adventures that I read about when I was kid seemed to be a million miles away and a trip that was nigh on impossible for a “normal guy”. Since we are the only one that can determine how we live our lives and what we want out of this life I’ve come to the conclusion that I wanna check off Rivers Inlet and The Queen Charlottes.

Good luck and I look forward to your write-up when you get home. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
Not sure if you are fixated on salmon but a sturgeon trip on the Frazer is a dream trip. A nine plus fish fully breaching water is a sight to see. Cheap at ~$1100 for a boat of four. We fished three days and caught 18. The first was 9 1/2 feet. All in beautiful country. Sturgeon Slayers...

Beauty Sturgeon, EdM,

I fish for Sturgeon in Edmonton, but they are a different species and the WR is 168 lbs., and nowhere near that size.

I will have to do the Frazer at least once!

KB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (219 Wasp, 1badf350, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,148
Posts18,502,795
Members73,991
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.