Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JMR40
I have a 2,800 lb boat and like the fact that I have a 3/4 ton diesel.

I see people pulling too much quite often too. But then there is the other side of the coin. Some people don't think you can tow at all without a big diesel truck. A 2800 lb boat can be pulled by most anything. Boats have less tongue weight, and most don't catch wind like a travel trailer.

The back story on the broken dually Dodge. The guy didn't read the specs carefully enough. His camper was well within the payload. Of an 8' regular cab. But the shorter bed combined with a crew cab had much less capability and he was way overloaded for that truck.

I wouldn't argue with that assessment.
Here's a Ford crew cab-short bed that broke the same way :
[Linked Image from blueovalforums.com]

B L M - Bureau of Land Management

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hate driving on the highway anymore. People don't give a about stopping distances and diesel dummy s don't give a care about anything

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have the same truck. It’s a Ram Rebel. It really ain’t made for towing, my 18’ tandem axle with a Polaris General makes it look like it is a squatted truck.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from thedrive.com]

That makes a really good advertisement for whatever brand of camper tie-downs he's using.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from blueovalforums.com]
I have a dually. I don't need no stinking equalizer hitch.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RIO7
Old rules, use the same gear to go down the mountain as you used to go up the mountain. Rio7
That was the rule for many years. However, later model trucks have more powerful engines and can climb hills in higher gears...too high to be used coming down.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've never used it but my Dodge 2500 has a gooseneck hitch. Has anyone used one of these Andersen adapters to pull a 5th wheel with a gooseneck hitch? How well do they work?

[Linked Image from campingworld.com]

That is my choice for hauling a 5th wheel setup.

They ride well and are safe.

Montana MOFO
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Saw a Tahoe pulling a 30 foot or so bumper pull pile it up a few years back. I was coming up a big hill on I-44 near Rolla, Mo, and this joker came over the top on the other side, in the left lane, passing a line of big rigs. Soon as he cleared the lead rig, he moves rather abruptly into the right lane, and I thought, not a smooth move, buddy.

Well, that trailer went to whipping, and by the time he passed by me, he was using both lanes, and that trailer was up on two wheels. I watched in the rearview mirror as the whole thing went sideways in the road and rolled. When the SUV went into the wire divider in the median, that trailer was straight vertical. It came apart when it hit the ground, and the whole mess must have rolled four times. I called in and reported it, never heard any more about it.

Always wondered if those folks lived or not. Would have stopped, but it was a Friday evening, I was in a boom truck in the left lane in pretty heavy traffic. Trying to stop may well have caused more problems than it solved.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by RIO7
Old rules, use the same gear to go down the mountain as you used to go up the mountain. Rio7
That was the rule for many years. However, later model trucks have more powerful engines and can climb hills in higher gears...too high to be used coming down.
My '08 Dodge Cummins has a factory exhaust brake. I LOVE that thing. It really holds back on downhills when loaded. I can drop 1 gear and set the engine brake and it will hold back on almost any freeway hill, maybe 2 gears on steeper roads.
They were add-ons before the mid-'07 change when Dodge started making them a factory option. They're quite expensive if added later.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APredator
Saw a Tahoe pulling a 30 foot or so bumper pull pile it up a few years back. I was coming up a big hill on I-44 near Rolla, Mo, and this joker came over the top on the other side, in the left lane, passing a line of big rigs. Soon as he cleared the lead rig, he moves rather abruptly into the right lane, and I thought, not a smooth move, buddy.

Well, that trailer went to whipping, and by the time he passed by me, he was using both lanes, and that trailer was up on two wheels. I watched in the rearview mirror as the whole thing went sideways in the road and rolled. When the SUV went into the wire divider in the median, that trailer was straight vertical. It came apart when it hit the ground, and the whole mess must have rolled four times. I called in and reported it, never heard any more about it.

Always wondered if those folks lived or not. Would have stopped, but it was a Friday evening, I was in a boom truck in the left lane in pretty heavy traffic. Trying to stop may well have caused more problems than it solved.

I've been stopped in traffic abrublty, looked in my rear view mirror to see if I was about to get hit and saw a Ford Ranger with a U-haul trailer go sideway and both start rolling coming toward me (and several other cars). Luckily for me, not so much them, they rolled into the median. The U-Haul stayed attached the whole time, truck stopped on its side, driver popped out of the passenger door like he was driving an Abrhams tank. I drove on.

Last edited by KFWA; 08/09/23.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by APredator

I've been stopped in traffic abrublty, looked in my rear view mirror to see if I was about to get hit and saw a Ford Ranger with a U-haul trailer go sideway and both start rolling coming toward me (and several other cars). Luckily for me, not so much them, they rolled into the median. The U-Haul stayed attached the whole time, truck stopped on its side, driver popped out of the passenger door like he was driving an Abrhams tank. I drove on.

I've had the same experience, but it was a commercial truck.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Speed limit?! You mean speed suggestion?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
What scares me more is the half ton pulling the camper or cargo trailer with those itty bitty side mirrors which you know he can’t see nothing when he is changing lanes on the interstate. I wish cops would right some heavy tickets for that. It is just ridiculously dangerous. Blind lane changes ever time. Or the strap on Walmart side mirrors gives an extra blurry vibrating view. While overloaded.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have always thought a CDL for anything over about 20' would be a good idea.

Maybe not a full on CDL but maybe some classes and certification should be in order.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 08/09/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I've been over that bridge many times. There's a diagonal bump at both ends. It can catch and toss a trailer. You don't feel it much in a car but in a stiffly sprung truck you sure can.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can tell those brokeback pickups had a bunch of tongue weight, but gosh, don't you think the driver would feel something is bad wrong? The front end feeling awful light?
As for Malad Gorge, that guy was just about to the end. Good chance he was blown into a weave, didn't know what to do. Which is not leave the driveway.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

As I recall the speed limit there is 80, I think towing speed is 70 but I'm not sure how well it's posted. In any case cars will be passing you at 85-90 mph.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Moto_Vita

As I recall the speed limit there is 80, I think towing speed is 70 but I'm not sure how well it's posted. In any case cars will be passing you at 85-90 mph.

My point exactly.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,704
Posts18,494,364
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.