Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I didn’t want to hijack RinB, thread on the 338 RPM so figured I’d post a new one. I have quite a run with 338s. Owning the 338-06, 338 win mag and the 340 wby. These days I don’t want much to do with them and in general think they make poor elk and deer rifles. But one question has always nagged at me and that’s if a 338 win mag was considered a legal min for big 5, would have it overshadowed the 375 H&H for the traveling hunter. I am not including the 375s already in Africa but rifles purchased by hunters out of country, for example from the states. I know the question is a bit specific but sometimes that’s just where my curiosity lands me. Pure conjecture of course but curious of peoples thoughts
S.

Last edited by smallfry; 08/08/23.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Possibly…..but, the H&H holds a special place in the hearts of many the want to hunt Africa! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I don’t think that by the time the .338 Win Mag showed up it would have had any appreciable affect on the popularity of the Holland and Holland. The H&H had the advantage of being more familiar and a “battle” proven success with decades of use and piles of critters piled up by the time the .338WM hit the shelves. The other not so insignificant factor that I think would impact this hypothetical scenario is that the .338WM is NOT more powerful than the H&H so it wouldn’t be a “trade-up” if one sold their H&H and got a 338WM for hunting “The Big 5”.

I really like the 338WM and it holds a sentimental spot for me and for large big game I think it’s a great cartridge. Despite the sacrifice in velocity that accompanies shorter barreled rifles the 338WM still offers a lot of whoop-ass for 95%+ of distances we shoot game at. With proper bullets the need to hold out for ideal presentations and perfect angles can be overcome with the 338WM.

I love the .338 Win Mag but it’s an American cartridge….a sort of metaphor like the 44mag where everything in America is bigger, better, stronger and louder including our rifles and pistols. 😂

The H&H is a lifted pinky on the pretty rose scalloped teacup while dining on crustless cucumber sandwiches….it’s also what I’d choose between the 2 were I to ever chase The Big 5……if I ever find myself being chased by The Big 5 I hope to have something much bigger than either the WinMag or the H&H. 😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The popularity of the .338 Win Mag definitely would increase, but maybe not overshadow the .375 H & H. Especially for those who would be combining plains game with leopard or lion or just doing a leopard and/or lion hunt. If doing plains game with buff, hippo, ele., my preference would always be 2 rifles, .338 Win Mag and a .45 caliber.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I liked the 338 WM back when I thought an all around gun should be looked at from the top down, now I look at it from just the opposite perspective.
S.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think if it had been legal (or not frowned upon) for dangerous game, they would have needed to impose a minimum projectile weight such as 250 grains, otherwise there would have been some turning up with cup and core 180's for use on buffalo etc.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 08/08/23.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do not think it it would have overshadowed the H&H.

But I have no doubt they would work on everything. I would pause on elephant though. But it could be done.

Last edited by CRS; 08/09/23.

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
We still follow you original thought process! It will perform quite well on the larger stuff…..yet somehow, manage to also kill the small stuff! 😉 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 375 H&H has survived the onslaught of several other 375s, i.e. the 375 Wby, 375 Ultra Mag, 378 Wby, 375 Ruger, and a host of 375 wildcats. Noting your question is hypothetical my hypothetical answer would be that if allowed for use the 338 Win Mag wouldn’t have detracted at all on the popularity and use of the H&H in Africa.

B
B
I am on my 2nd 338Wm with a 23 inch barrel ... works great with 210 NP, but as I am nearing 80, would like to lessen recoil ..have a moose draw for Interoir of BC, where I live ... any one with any expierence with 180/185 gr ... I have a few in Nosler and Barnes .. still to try them on the range .. for the hunt 200 yards would be a long shot

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by burntember
I am on my 2nd 338Wm with a 23 inch barrel ... works great with 210 NP, but as I am nearing 80, would like to lessen recoil ..have a moose draw for Interoir of BC, where I live ... any one with any expierence with 180/185 gr ... I have a few in Nosler and Barnes .. still to try them on the range .. for the hunt 200 yards would be a long shot

My father and I both shoot 22" .338WM rifles at times, but we have nothing near the size of moose. We like them as "thumpers" for hogs. Dad shoots the 200gr NBT at 2,850 with RL15 and I shoot the 185TTSX at 2,720 with H4895. My load is quite easy to shoot and while I don't have my load data in front of me, I think I am near the Hodgdon book minimum charge. It approximates a decent 30-06 180gr load with more frontal area.

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
smallfry
Thanks for being considerate.

I have had many 338’s but all of them have found new homes. I don’t know why I started thinking of getting another. Actually I am going to abandon the project

I really like the design of both of the Weatherby RPM cases. I particularly like ability to use a .473” bolt face.
Being non-belted is a great feature. Now that Petersen is making cases both are even more appealing.

I have decided that CRF type actions are neither necessary or even desirable. So the RPM cases are optimum if one needs a larger capacity case.

Last edited by RinB; 08/11/23.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The wife and myself have 2 338 RCM, Both Ruger's RH SS Synthetic and LH wood blue, both share same load and accurate.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RinB
smallfry

I have had many 338’s but all of them have found new homes. I don’t know why I started thinking of getting another. Actually I am going to abandon the project

I really like the design of both of the Weatherby RPM cases. I particularly like ability to use a .473” bolt face.
Being non-belted is a great feature. Now that Petersen is making cases both are even more appealing.

I have decided that CRF type actions are neither necessary or even desirable. So the RPM cases are optimum if one needs a larger capacity case.
Have had .338 WM and .338-06, moved them on down the road. Both were good guns, just redundant for my needs and use.

The .338-06 with the 160 TTSX was a great combo. New owner is a Fire contributor, so we may see it again.

DF

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RinB
smallfry

Thanks RinB.
Even as I desire to pair down my rifles, I still find myself going down rabbit holes. You just can’t get the ingenuity out of man. We are forever trying perfecting the arrow.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
smallfry
I want to believe that a bigger bore cartridge will make a big difference but my observations don’t support that idea.
Fortunately it takes me awhile to get the parts together to construct a new rifle so I have time to get control of myself.
Actually I used a 270W/280R and a 375 H&H for many trips over many years. I really don’t need anything else but I still fiddle around with rifles. Lots have come and gone but I have no real reason for another BG cartridge.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have an early Sako 338 win mag. I shoot the 160 Barnes in it. I only hunt flyweight Texas whitetail and pigs, so that weight bullet is plenty for them. Not much recoil from that weight bullet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On what basis do you think they make “poor elk and deer rifles”?

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
On what basis do you think they make “poor elk and deer rifles”?

I too am curious about this statement. The .338WinMag is my go to elk cartridge.

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by hanco
I have an early Sako 338 win mag. I shoot the 160 Barnes in it. I only hunt flyweight Texas whitetail and pigs, so that weight bullet is plenty for them. Not much recoil from that weight bullet.

Oops, meant to add,

Sort of a broad shouldered 7rem mag!

Last edited by OGB; 08/11/23.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 32 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,253
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.