Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by tzone
Build the stand out of plywood, keep paint on it and it will last 25 years. Insulate with foam board, build windows with glass panes. A small heater will keep you warm.

What do you need foam board insulation for? Those cold mornings when it gets down to 35*F? grin

It gets down to 34 sometimes. I built that, sold to son in law. He put the foam in there, don’t know why either. I recently bought it back. He painted it that ugly chocolate color.

The foam probably does make it a bit quieter.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Also at least one that's easily accessable by someone with restricted mobility.

Come on Dude...I'm fat but I can get in a stand. laugh

I'm thinking of myself in a few years, it's getting noticably worse.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man how times have changed. When I started I remember the old Baker climber. One foot piece. Hug the tree and climb. Dangerous as hell. Most of us slid down a few times after the foot piece fell off your boots. That ain't fun.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Check out the blinds from Dillon Manufacturing. We have a number of them and some are over 15 years old without a issue

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dillons are good stuff. 15yrs no problems here too.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It makes sense to make it comfortable. You can stay all day if it’s crummy weather. It was raining last year, stayed in stand. I usually get out around 10 go back at 2:00, I had brought lunch, damn Aoudad showed up at 12:00 noon. I would have missed him if it was a sunny day.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Here is another thread on blinds with some details on the one I built, if you're interested.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14237043/7

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Here is the one we put up a couple of years ago. Hoping to get another up in next few weeks[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Paid $150 for mine at the local poop truck yard. Built a new skid that wasn’t soaked in that overpowering deodorant. It hunts great.

Ah ha so you’re the guy

That's ok, I don't mind being that guy.

Last edited by Reloder28; 07/22/23.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Man. You can sleep in that!!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Man. You can sleep in that!!

Yes, it is 5x7 on a 5x8 trailer. The interior is framed with aluminum B-22 Unistrut. Each wall is an individual panel. 8 clamps hold it together. The roof is 4 separate panels with leakproof joints.

The blind has seen many hunting areas. Last year I got tired of the tear-down reconstruct process. Spent last summer mounting it permanently to the trailer. Were I to do it again, the blind would be of wood frame construction in one piece on a dedicated trailer. Tired of all the muscle work.

The aluminum framed panels served me well over the decades. Broken down they stack roughly 10” tall. Not doing that anymore unless I’m forced to.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kinda off the subject, but there was a fellow years ago that built a stand in the bottom that was 8x16. You got to understand that the fellow was kinda eccentric. I wont go into a bunch of details, but the stand was built on 6 cut off telephone poles. It was about 8-10 feet off the ground and had windows on all 4 sides. Furnished with a couch, table, and chairs, the fellow would stay however long it took to kill a deer. If it was a couple days, that was ok, he'd just spend the night and be ready the next morning. This was about 40 years ago and we called it the 'hotel'.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JD45
Man how times have changed. When I started I remember the old Baker climber. One foot piece. Hug the tree and climb. Dangerous as hell. Most of us slid down a few times after the foot piece fell off your boots. That ain't fun.

That made me laugh. Been there done that with the same. smile

I Kill Things......deal with it..
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Man, that thing needs A/C and heating, running water, etc.

DF

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Back in my military flying days, a few miles from our home base in an area we frequently flew over this hunting club had at least ten blinds built with old VW car bodies - the old Beetles with the flexible moon roofs - mounted on a pair of power poles at least 25-30' high. I guess they had the choice of rolling down the window or standing up in the moon roof to shoot. The club was about 10,000 acres and we figured at least one of the members was in the junk car business and another had to be in the utility business.

Last edited by Offshoreman; 08/09/23.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by devnull
Here's a few that we have. I would much prefer to buy over build. The Sportsman Condo is the best bang for the buck. When I have built, I find out that it costs me more than originally expected and doesn't last as long. The only caveat to buying is the Muddy blind. While it is well-insulated, it leaks and the heat has warped the insulated walls. I would never buy another Muddy. By the time you put it up (2 days), your left with a situation of a lot of work for a warranty claim.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Who makes the black round can ?....that looks simple

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Here's a few that we have. I would much prefer to buy over build. The Sportsman Condo is the best bang for the buck. When I have built, I find out that it costs me more than originally expected and doesn't last as long. The only caveat to buying is the Muddy blind. While it is well-insulated, it leaks and the heat has warped the insulated walls. I would never buy another Muddy. By the time you put it up (2 days), your left with a situation of a lot of work for a warranty claim.

[Linked Image]

These guys make it and it doesn't leak as it's molded as one piece. I can't say that about the other blinds.

https://sportsmanscondo.com/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

[Linked Image]

These guys make it and it doesn't leak as it's molded as one piece. I can't say that about the other blinds.

https://sportsmanscondo.com/

Thank you Sir ! smile

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I'm building one right now, or more accurately reworking/refurbishing an old one. The original owner made it from 2" 11ga. square tube of about 4' x 6' dimensions on a 10' tall stand made from 3" x 1/4" wall square tube. Heavy as heck!

He made the original front 3-facets, so the blind was actually a hexagon, and he sheathed it all with 1/2" plywood. It's lasted 8 years and was in rough shape. Plywood doesn't weather very well, and he had lots of exposed ends that allowed the water to penetrate the ply's. In addition, the half assed attempt at windows, left them prone to leaks, blowing open, PITA to open etc.

I've cut all the steel apart and made the blind a true 4' x 6' rectangle. I then framed for the door and windows using 1 1/2" 14ga. square tube and sloped the roof. It will get fitted with (2) 30" x 11.5" slider windows on the front, a 30" x 11.5" slider on each side and a 16" x 11.5" on the back, with a 24" x 60" door also on the back. All the doors and windows are from Deerview Windows and cost $552 total. These windows/doors mount from the outside and seal and cover any end grain of the window/door openings. I've used the same windows on some other blinds and they're top notch. I put a carpeted rest under each window, so your gun isn't resting on the metal window frame.

The blind will get sided this time with 7/16" LP siding panels. These panels have a surface coating/primer that holds paint and weather very well. The steel frame, interior and exterior will all get painted with Rustoleum oil based paint. BTW: equal parts of Rustoleum Rusty Red Metal Primer and Hunter Green Gloss paint make a perfect Satin Olive Drab color that goes on easily, lasts a long time and is easy to recoat/touchup. The outside blind corners will get painted galvanized 2" corner flashing to cover the corner end grains (the galvanized trim will get rubbed with vinegar to etch to hold paint). The roof will be shingled with appropriate drip edge.

The key to making homemade blinds last is using siding, not plywood, protecting all end grain and using good windows/doors.

This blind will get mounted on a 3' tall stand with skids (runners) and can be dragged on/off a trailer. It will get anchored when in place to prevent blow over. It will have steps/handrail to get in/out.

Estimated material costs:
$200 steel (1 1/2" square tube for framing the windows doors and a 20' stick of 2 3/8" pipe for the skid base)
$552 windows doors
$50 for self tapping/sealing screws and other self tap flush screws, tube of brown silicone caulk
$285 for LP siding panels
$100 for floor roof plywood
$40 shingles
$60 corner/roof flashing
$66 paint

$1350 total (Some of the steel from the original stand I was able to re-purpose, or I had as scrap/drop for the stairs etc.) Right now, I have 16- 20 manhours in 100+ degree heat building this thing by myself, but a good chunk of that was reworking/squaring the original steel. I have all of the framework steel completed and painted. I figure an additional 16- 20 manhours to complete. In reality, using square tube adds a bunch more labor to the welding, versus angle iron. But your fasteners aren't all poking through on the inside like angle iron.

When I priced material as above for a similar blind as stick built, material cost was $1100. But the labor using a chop saw/framing nailer etc. was probably 1/3 to 1/2.

Pricing new blinds (without a tower) would be $2300, figure with tax and building a base, you're looking at $2750 plus some of your time to fab the base)

In reality, I'd buy a good quality fiberglass blind from Dillon or Xtreme Blinds. and build my own base. Unless you enjoy/have time to build one right.

Half the reason I'm into this project is to keep the costs off the radar of my BIL's wife. He can hide $200- $300 expenses at a time.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

355 members (160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 2,050 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,724
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.