Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Driving down the highway earlier this week, I spied a new billboard. It showed a pleasant-looking, middle-aged lady sitting on a couch with a big smile on her face. The caption at the top said something about "living your best life" or something to that effect, and was an advertisement for a medical group. The shocking thing to me was the fact that the lady was obese. Not just overweight, but obese, being probably 50+ pounds overweight. I pretty much had to do a double take to see if I was processing this billboard correctly.

What's the goal here? Is it that this lady simply represents a typical citizen these days? Is it to cater to those who actually (and sadly) are likely to be repeat clients of the medical group? If that's the case (and I hope it isn't), I suppose I understand trying to be on the radar of your customer base, but for a medical group to show that sort of person as living a good life surely seems intellectually dishonest. Apparently, we are now at a place where we all are supposed to just ignore facts. 29 states now have obesity rates for adults of 33%. One in three adults in those states are clinically obese. This hasn't shown to be normal in the entire course of human history. This is society agreeing to accept something that is running healthcare costs through the roof, making our young men increasingly unfit for military service or laborious employment, and lowering average life expectancy for the whole country.

I mean nothing ugly or cruel by this, but why is this accepted? We've probably all carried a few extra pounds at times, but why are folks okay with doing this to themselves at these levels? Nothing good comes of it, not one thing, unless you are in the food, drug, or healthcare business.

I'm curious regarding opinions as to how we got here and if anything is likely to change in the foreseeable future.

Now with even more aplomb

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You need only look at the typical "beauty queens" they are putting before our eyes to understand what the new "ideal" is that they're trying to impose on us.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The wife and I cut carbs 8 years ago and both lost 40 pounds.

Meat, eggs, cheeze... and some broccoli.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
One year ago

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
He speaks the absolute truth. Apparently any semblance of vanity has vanished, especially in women.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by steve4102
One year ago

That was excellent!

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bill was hitting the bullseye there. Enabling and justifying often make problems like this keep getting worse.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ode to the "every Three hour" baby food diet...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Garandimal

GR

Exactly

Before they invented carbohydrates in 2000, nobody ever ate them because they didn’t exist, so everyone was slim, trim, and in shape.

😂 😆 😝

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Dad bods... Mom bods...

Kent

IC B3

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Wendy's came out with the Triple Classic burger combo when I was in college in the mid-90's. I could eat them all the time at 18yrs old, but figured out a few years later that they were starting to add up on me rather rapidly as my activity levels declined. It's understanding cause and effect, essentially, then adjusting. Many are apparently electing not to adjust for some reason.

You ever look at the calorie content on the menus at fast food places? They'll make you cringe! An entire day's calories in one drive-thru lunch and almost no "good" nutrients.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
The electric shopping carts at Walmart have more powerful motors, wider seats, and more space between the seat and the handlebars- - - - -there's a whole new breed of N I G G A P O T A M U S riding them. The older models needed a greasy shoehorn to get the rider onboard!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Garandimal

GR

Exactly

Before they invented carbohydrates in 2000, nobody ever ate them because they didn’t exist, so everyone was slim, trim, and in shape.

😂 😆 😝

GR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JPro
Wendy's came out with the Triple Classic burger combo when I was in college in the mid-90's. I could eat them all the time at 18yrs old, but figured out a few years later that they were starting to add up on me rather rapidly as my activity levels declined. It's understanding cause and effect, essentially, then adjusting. Many are apparently electing not to adjust for some reason.

You ever look at the calorie content on the menus at fast food places? They'll make you cringe! An entire day's calories in one drive-thru lunch and almost no "good" nutrients.

60% of the 1090 calories from a Triple come from fat

14% come from carbohydrate

So it’s gotta be the carbs. Ditch the bun and you’ll be good to go

😂🤣😆

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
There was pizza and soda available in 1980, along with fried chicken and cookies, but the national obesity rates were 13% for males and 17% for females. Like Bill Maher says in that video link, food was delicious in 1969. Calories are not a new thing. Junk food availability and snacking are not new things. Failing to adjust and restrain appears to be the new thing. Why have we lost that desire? Will it take a "Grapes of Wrath" event to correct course?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
[Linked Image]

Every man's dream, a morbidly obese, rotund bald chick to cuddle with at night.

Ya sure lol

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
“They” are trying to normalize abnormality

Just as “they” are doing with F aggotry, Lezbos, Trannies, Pedos

Simply part of the Marxist plan to put America in a nose-dive

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looking at wedding pictures on social media shows a large increase in fat brides with normal or skinny grooms. I would venture to say that 75% of Americans are now obese.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by JPro

60% of the 1090 calories from a Triple come from fat

14% come from carbohydrate

So it’s gotta be the carbs. Ditch the bun and you’ll be good to go

😂🤣😆

Yep, that's how the Human body works.

You should have learned that by now.

Ha!

GR

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,949
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.