Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
covering up sink drain pipe hole

Having a custom built kitchen put in, the shop did a great job building the Hickory kitchen cabinets BUT instead of drilling individual holes that could be filled with silicon the installer used a 6" hole saw putting the drain and both supply lines in one hole. I do not want a messy foam spray job so how can I cleanly fill the gap?

I have been looking for a flat rubber grommet type cover but not one local hardware store has anything like it.

Right now we have temporary plumbing run while we wait on the new stone countertops so I have 2 weeks to figure this out..

Attached Images
under sink drain.jpg (28.78 KB, 473 downloads)
Last edited by old_willys; 08/10/23.

Ted

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Fill hole with steel wool

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Angus55
Fill hole with steel wool
Yep, that's about all that could be done with that hack-job.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
escutcheon plate

Dedicated Master of the Western Influenced Martial Art known simply as "KLIK PAO" !!!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Diamond plate aluminum, lol

Escutcheon for the drain pipe, redo the supplies and separate escutcheons for those

Last edited by KenMi; 08/10/23.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That is a sloppy way of doing it.
I can't think of any patch that would look good.
This is the inside of the cabinet, but you paid some good coin and want the whole job to look good.

Therefore, why not make them laminate a new bottom in the cabinet and cut 3 separate holes as tight and as neat as possible ?
There is 3/16" plywood or plastic laminate could be used.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KenMi
Diamond plate aluminum, lol

Escutcheon for the drain pipe, redo the supplies and separate escutcheons for those
I am positive I will run the supply line thru new small holes and would like to have the mill-work shop redo the sink cabinet base but after waiting 6 months for the cabinets I can't stand the thought of delaying the project even more..............

Last edited by old_willys; 08/10/23.

Ted
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Tape around the hole, spray expanding foam, cut it flush after it sets up, spread some caulking on it to smooth it over, remove the tape and paint.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by reivertom
Tape around the hole, spray expanding foam, cut it flush after it sets up, spread some caulking on it to smooth it over, remove the tape and paint.
This....sort of. Spray foam and once cured cut off with a flush cut hand saw. Paint or use cabinet paper on bottom.

Could use a thin coat of drywall mud on top of foam and sand smooth before paint or paper.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 08/10/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
That is a sloppy way of doing it.
I can't think of any patch that would look good.
This is the inside of the cabinet, but you paid some good coin and want the whole job to look good.

Therefore, why not make them laminate a new bottom in the cabinet and cut 3 separate holes as tight and as neat as possible ?
There is 3/16" plywood or plastic laminate could be used.

This........ cabinet shop can put a thin bottom on top of that and clean it up

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by tophorsecop
escutcheon plate

You can get them split ring too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You need more in your life if you got time to worry about that.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Would help to know why the water inlets weren't located in the wall, but a tile or stone backsplash has already been put in, take the cabinet out and have it done right. Then back-charge toe original installer. Using a rubber hose inlet below the cabinet deck I wouldn't even believe is up to code, should the hose start to leak with the shut off valve above the deck, you have to go outside and shut off the whole house valve to shut off the water. Any future maintenance will be a real pain in the ass, fix it right now.

Phil

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Duct Seal. Find it in electrical. Kinda like clay. Can be molded around your pipes

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Would help to know why the water inlets weren't located in the wall, but a tile or stone backsplash has already been put in, take the cabinet out and have it done right. Then back-charge toe original installer. Using a rubber hose inlet below the cabinet deck I wouldn't even believe is up to code, should the hose start to leak with the shut off valve above the deck, you have to go outside and shut off the whole house valve to shut off the water. Any future maintenance will be a real pain in the ass, fix it right now.

Phil
Yep, usually the supply lines and the waste line are in the wall.
For whatever reason, the plumber contributed to the problem.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

Phil

This is the first helpful, non dumbass riddled post I have ever seen you make. Congratulations.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Phil

When built (I am not the original owner) the lines all came up from below not sure why they didn't run them through the wall....

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by old_willys

Phil

When built (I am not the original owner) the lines all came up from below not sure why they didn't run them through the wall....
Possible add on after original structure?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by reivertom
This....sort of. Spray foam and once cured cut off with a flush cut hand saw. Paint or use cabinet paper on bottom.

Could use a thin coat of drywall mud on top of foam and sand smooth before paint or paper.

Yeah. You’ll end up putting shelf paper or rubber mat down, anyway, so wouldn’t get super fancy with it. As long as you’re not losing stuff down in that gap, nobody will know what it looks like under the shelf paper.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Pergo or vinyl flooring strips or wonderboard and tile.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1936M71, 1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 55 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,528
Posts18,491,150
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.