Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
MS9x56 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Where were Schultz & Larsen rifles manufactured. Also has anyone heard of or shot a7x61 S&H cartridge. I had never heard of either until I walked into my local LGS yesterday and saw one in their rack. Just looking to be enlightened.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
HR IC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just a little history. It wound up with a belt and maybe other changes as well but, interesting reading.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
There should be lots of information on these rifles, made in Denmark some years ago. Google it. Norma made the brass and loaded ammo. Ballistically the 7x61 is about the same as the 7mm Remington Magnum and preceded the Remington cartridge by about ten years or so. I've had a Model 60 Schultz & Larsen, excellent quality, kind of like the old Weatherbys.

My current 7x61 is a Model 28 New Ultra Light Arms. Watch out for obsolete data; most of it is very old and some of that is too warm. The most recent data I'm aware of is on the online data site that Wolfe Publshing has. It was published in about the last ten or twelve years.

MS9x56 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I had no idea.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Ken Waters did a writeup on the 7x61 cartridge many years ago in his Pet Loads series, but I'd check his data against more current sources before using it. Stiil a good article worth reading. There are also two different cartridges. Outside dimensions are the same, but internal capacity is a little greater, enough so that data should be adjusted. I think this change to the "Super 7x61" was in the late '60s.

Last edited by lotech; 08/10/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My father in law had one made. He had his pre 64 model 70 7x57 re chambered. It was long gone before I came into the picture.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've used mine on several bull elk, always with great results; either a 160 Partition at 2900 or a 150 TSX a little faster.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had one for over 30 years, model 65. It'll do anything the other standard length 7 Mags will do.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Excellent rifles and cartridge. If you’re looking for something different, this is it, but realize feeding it will take some, but not a huge amount of effort. It wouldn’t be my choice in 7mm as there are better ones with modern specs, but I would certainly consider a nice one for the novelty/history. They are IIRC, rear-locking, at least some were anyway, which might cause you some woes with your brass.

Never seen one in person, even in the good old days when the D.C. area had some excellent gun stores.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
“Also has anyone heard of or shot a7x61 S&H cartridge?

Sure, great cartridge. It will do anything you need to do. My father’s rifle that has been passed down, my son has it now. Been doing the job since 1961.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MS9x56
. Also has anyone heard of or shot a7x61 S&H cartridge. I had never heard of either until I walked into my local LGS yesterday and saw one in their rack. Just looking to be enlightened.

I've never heard of the 7x61 H&S ...until now.

Tell us more...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by MS9x56
. Also has anyone heard of or shot a7x61 S&H cartridge. I had never heard of either until I walked into my local LGS yesterday and saw one in their rack. Just looking to be enlightened.

I've never heard of the 7x61 H&S ...until now.

Tell us more...
The 7mm Remington Magnum killed it about nine years after the 7x61 S&H Magnum was introduced, though it was likely on life support for a while before that. It was only available in the relatively expensive S&H rifle. The Norma ammo was probably expensive too. The Remington cartridge, however, wasn't ever trendy, just a dull "meat and potatoes" cartridge, even if it worked well. For what it's worth (granted,not much) the 7x61 is a bit more efficent that the 7mm RM. As mentioned on this forum many times, no one needs an excuse to use an oddball cartridge.

Original ballistics and some handloading data called for a 160 grain bullet at 3,100 fps. Thsi was pretty optimistic. I've done much work with the 7x61 in two rifles. Such figures might be reachable, but probably not safely. About 2950 from a 26" barrel would be about tops based on my experience. Top velocity is achieved with 560 powder. I found this stuff to be a bit scary with heavy loads and some VV data I found was about six grains more than I cared to use in my NULA with 160 grain bullets as I recall. I backed away from it in favor of H4831 for it's great accuracy, decent velocity, and lack of temperature sensitivity, but RL 22 also works well if you don't get into wildly fluctuating temperatures. Some might consider H4350 a little fast, but it's not and accuarcy and velocity are good.

Last edited by lotech; 08/11/23.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Had one many years ago, wish I still had it.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Have owned 7 S&L rifles they are far superior to anything made here in the same era.
S&L is still in business but very expensive and not imported.
The M54 action was used by Weatherby for the first 378s.
Slicker than snot, shorter 45 degree bolt throw, great trigger and accurate.
The 7x61 was. a victim of Remington's not invented here and the 700 being cheaper.
Fine cartridge that will do anything the Rem version will.

M54 7X61

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
MINE IS A COMMERCIAL 98 WITH A MEDIUM HEAVY 26" BARREL. IT GETS USED MOSTLY WITH 154 GRAIN HORNADYS.

THESE DAYS I WOULD FIND IT MORE USEFUL AS A 22" LIGHT BARRELED MONTAIN GUN. I BELIEVE IT WOULD BE AS USEFUL AS A .280 AI.

I FIRST ENCOUNTERED THE CARTRIDGE IN 1963 (I was a sophomore in HS) .I DATED A GORGEOUS REDHEAD WHO HAD A S&L. HER DAD HAD A S&L TOO BUT IT WAS A .300 WEATHERBY.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
An Uncle had a 7x61 that he bought in Canada back in the 60’s. Never laid eyes on it but the stories he told were nothing short of legendary.

These days I would likely just go for the 7mm Rem Mag. The recent component/ammo shortages have me shy of oddball cartridges.

That said, the coolness rating of a 7x61 is off the charts.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It's definitely the father of the 7mm RM, and one cartridge that was correct the first time. Then along came big green with too much powder capacity and not enough bullet capacity. Twisted correctly the 7x61 H&S has wonderful potential in a standard '06 action. I've always read alot about it and data for it is in the older reloading manuals. The RM might win in the initial MV department, but that's about it, and not by much.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
It's definitely the father of the 7mm RM, and one cartridge that was correct the first time. Then along came big green with too much powder capacity and not enough bullet capacity. Twisted correctly the 7x61 H&S has wonderful potential in a standard '06 action. I've always read alot about it and data for it is in the older reloading manuals. The RM might win in the initial MV department, but that's about it, and not by much.

It's interesting to think about how things might have been if Remington had done the 7RM different. It was very 2023 of Phil Sharpe to be fooling around with a beltless, magnum bodied, no taper, sharp shouldered, longer head height, standard OAL 7mm with an 8 3/8 inch twist and looong, 210gr bullets seven decades ago. I mean what's this remind you of:
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
My older friend when I was in high school was a 7x61 fan. He had a sporter and a heavy bull barrel that he used to compete in the Camp Perry matches. He had fooled with many calibers and came to this one for long range match shooting. He also killed a lot of deer with it at long distance. Cool cartridge. I tried to buy a used one sometime after the turn of the century. But the guy never came up with the dies and brass. It was a typical custom gun for that period, I think it had a 6x Lyman on it and a 24" barrel that was the only real draw back to the deal.

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (260Remguy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,228 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,756
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.