Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
100% not outdoors related, but figure lots of fellas here know more than me.

My bath/shower has 3 valve handles (hot, cold, tub to shower). Over the last couple weeks I'm getting less shower pressure and now have a slight drip through the tub faucet when showering. Easy fix, call a plumber fix?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Center diverter on the fritz
what brand of faucet?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Could be an easy fix...but the two issues may be unrelated.

Post a pic of the setup and we can help determine the steps get it working.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
100% not outdoors related, but figure lots of fellas here know more than me.

My bath/shower has 3 valve handles (hot, cold, tub to shower). Over the last couple weeks I'm getting less shower pressure and now have a slight drip through the tub faucet when showering. Easy fix, call a plumber fix?

Easy peasy....if you have a good quality faucet, replacement valves should be available.

Not so easy....if your faucet isn't easily accessible.

Pain-in-the- rear....if you have a clunker set up and it's a bear's hiney to get to!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Galvanized plumbing? Could be rotting from the inside and plugging the shower head. I have this problem and I've replaced all the plumbing in the house with copper or PEX except for our master bathroom. Doesn't make me popular with the missus some days as our shower decides how much pressure we get at times...

Easy way to find out if it is a plugged shower head- pull the shower head off the stub on the wall and turn on the shower and diverter. Let it blow out whatever is in the pipe for a few seconds and see if you have good pressure. If you do, it is the shower head- if not, it is in the valve. Most valves have removable cartridges that can be replaced. You may need to watch a youtube video to replace yours if it is old. I wish I had done that when I did mine years ago- would have saved me about an hour of screwing around...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What brand are you working on?

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by high_country_
What brand are you working on?

Yep, what brand, should have replaceable stems and seats. It might have built in stops

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If your shower inverter is bad, you just need a new spout with an inverter. There are a couple types these days, so you'll need to know what you have. those "spouts" just unscrew. I did ours a few years ago and it was made in 1951. I used a strap wrench for the new one, but just got the old one off any way I could. I had to replace the pipe the spout screwed onto, and I used a brass one, but it wasn't a big deal. The new spouts are standard pipe thread and you just need to figure the pipe size. The hardest thing was cleaning the rust out of the threads on the old fixture in the wall so the new brass pipe would screw in all the way. I used penetrating oil and picks.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by rong
Center diverter on the fritz
what brand of faucet?

Bingo...

Easy fix... or a real PITA... depending.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always start with the easiest, cheapest approach. In this case, I'd check to make sure that the shower head doesn't have an obstruction or other buildup inside of it, which could result in low flow and back pressure through the diverter and cause the dripping at the spout that you mention.

Next would be to check the diverter itself.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sheister
Galvanized plumbing? Could be rotting from the inside and plugging the shower head. I have this problem and I've replaced all the plumbing in the house with copper or PEX except for our master bathroom. Doesn't make me popular with the missus some days as our shower decides how much pressure we get at times...

Easy way to find out if it is a plugged shower head- pull the shower head off the stub on the wall and turn on the shower and diverter. Let it blow out whatever is in the pipe for a few seconds and see if you have good pressure. If you do, it is the shower head- if not, it is in the valve. Most valves have removable cartridges that can be replaced. You may need to watch a youtube video to replace yours if it is old. I wish I had done that when I did mine years ago- would have saved me about an hour of screwing around...

I installed bathroom fixtures from Lowe's, thinking, "If I need replacement parts, I can just go to Lowe's!" 😃
WRONG!!!!!
Thankfully, there is a plumbing supply house near that carried the cartridges! Easy peasy!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I always start with the easiest, cheapest approach. In this case, I'd check to make sure that the shower head doesn't have an obstruction or other buildup inside of it, which could result in low flow and back pressure through the diverter and cause the dripping at the spout that you mention.

Next would be to check the diverter itself.

There you go... unscrew the shower head... remove gunk... move on to the next potential.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 3,039 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,618
Posts18,533,005
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.