Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is my huckleberry

Long range…nope.

Straight killer…yup.

I am jealous of that stack of #1530 HPGK bullets! I think I am down to a couple hundred of those.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by RIO7
boatanchor, I have fired thousands of SMK on range near and far they are a great target bullet, for hunting not so much, I tried them and they SUCK!! for hunting, read the box they come in it says not a hunting bullet, what are you shooting Jack Rabbits ?? Rio7

Don't think I have ever shot a Jack Rabbit with one but it is my favorite Rock chuck bullet.
I have shot a couple of Deer and a couple Antelope with the 107SMK and it has performed very well, a much tougher bullet than the 105gr A-Max or the 105gr VLD (have not tried the ELD's yet).
In fact I will be using them on my Wyoming Antelope hunt September 10th.

What issues did you have with them ?????

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
boatanchor, For me the 107 Gr. SMK blew up on contact, or penciled thru, there are many superior bullets about the same weight for hunting, Rio7

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

105 gr Scenar and 100 gr. SGK work well for culling Does. Rio7

Dang Rio, if you ever want any help, I'm in! 😁

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We have only used the 100 grain Interlock on game, and the Winchester Power Point 100 grain.

Both have performed well.

The .243 is not my main gun, I bought it for the kids. Having said that, the Interlocks have performed well. My ex GF used it on a couple mulie does, one was huge. The second , huge one was shot rhough both shouders at 200 yards. Broke both and exited.

I would use this bullet/caliber on deer with confidence, and I would use it on moose and elk, only if I had no other rifle. I believe it would work, if you chose shots very carefully.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by KenMi
Originally Posted by Deere_Man
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Pardon my shooting it all and then some ladies. Keep filling out those Hurt Feeler reports from the sidelines...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pass the .625 BC and hold The FLUFF ala .331 BC. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bullets matter wayyyyyyy more than headstamps,if only to your perpetual chagrin. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

One of these two bullets will not shoot in a 1:10 spout. Bullets matter more than headstamps. 80gr TTSX for the win for 1 in 10! Lol

Ok I am done.

Little liar Larry one one just can't comprehend the real world. Hint.
Big numbers, fast twist, yadda yadda yadda, bs, bs, bs.

Overinflated numbers and ego matter way less than field experience. Hint.

For someone self-proclaiming to have it all, you sure are lacking. That's not even a hint, that's a fact.

Money can't buy happiness, virtue, decency, friends, family, respect or admiration. Try as you may. Proof is in the pudding.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
95 Partition. 25 yard shot, 40 yard run.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My first deer with a 243 was a 100 PT, around 40-50 yds, complete penetration broadside, damage was modest - but I do believe kills I have made since had a bit more internal damage using the 95 BT. That stack of 85 BTHP above, can fill many freezers, I know how they perform, deadly, though I would personally shoot for lungs and avoid shoulders, just to be sure. That 95 BT will drill both shoulders of a buck.....

It's splitting hairs, but the spectrum of options gives a variety of performance from expansion to penetration and those in between that have a good balance of the two, and work well up close and far away.

The 100 PTs shot well in my then 700, but I have read by notable folks, that the 95 might be a tad more accurate. I can say the 95 BTs shot 1/2" for 3, in a Nesika Bay 6BR, 10 twist at 200 yds. Most 6mm pills IME, have typically shot sub MOA. Even won a local BR match using 70 TNTs of all things in a 12 twist straight taper 22" Pac-Nor on a 700 in 6BR, ranges to 415 yds......so accuracy is relative to application. Most are more than accurate enough, but all else equal, I like small groups.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by navlav8r
95 or 100 grain Partitions in 243 and 240 Weatherby. I may try the 95 Ballistic Tip in one of my 243s this year.

Ditto ^^^^^^ ... 95 gr Nosler Partition over a middle of road charge of Varget in a .243 = Dead Deer... I will sub 100gr NPT's if I cannot find the 95gr. One time subbed 85gr NPT's with zero adverse effects. Have never caught any of them shooting KY WT's...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
boatanchor, For me the 107 Gr. SMK blew up on contact, or penciled thru, there are many superior bullets about the same weight for hunting, Rio7

Never witnessed EVER a blow up with the 107grSMK at any velocity........but do have to admit a couple of pencil through's that were past 500yds.
I still think it is a great Varmint and Deer, Antelope bullet

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SMK=match bullet. no?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by navlav8r
95 or 100 grain Partitions in 243 and 240 Weatherby. I may try the 95 Ballistic Tip in one of my 243s this year.

Ditto ^^^^^^ ... 95 gr Nosler Partition over a middle of road charge of Varget in a .243 = Dead Deer... I will sub 100gr NPT's if I cannot find the 95gr. One time subbed 85gr NPT's with zero adverse effects. Have never caught any of them shooting KY WT's...
100 gr. NPT out of my .240 over MRP powder is its most accurate load. Gun is an H.S. Precision SPL in a Hunter's Edge stock. Factory stock was heavy and clunky; this one much lighter and sleeker.

I traded for the gun with Hendershots, don't buy new stuff from H.S. after their Lon Horiuchi fiasco. So, H.S. didn't make a dime off this deal.

To their credit, they make great cut rifle barrels in house that IME, shoot with Brux, Krieger and other premium brands. This gun with that bullet will shoot sub MOA at 400, one group was 1.7" (only three shots, so of course it doesn't count). wink

I sent McM the barreled action, as they didn't have a CNC program to inlet the SPL. They do now. This gun's a keeper. VX-6 in Talley rings.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Anyone worked with the 90 grain Swift Scirocco or 100 grain Norma Oryx?

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by pinotguy
Anyone worked with the 90 grain Swift Scirocco or 100 grain Norma Oryx?
Yes, extensively with 90 gn Scirocco driven fast. I think at .243 velocities it would be excellent. Good weight retention and nice mushroom. But I was driving it much faster close to 3400 fps and had several deflections off bone, one pancake on shoulder bone on a doe, and maybe copper fouling was causing it to shoot well sometimes but not the next. Just wish Badlands made a 90 grain mono with a bc over .5.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 08/13/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by himmelrr
I think it was a bit much to hit a shoulder at over 3400 fps.
Pretty sure they will handle well over those velocities.

It didn't just shed the petals and send the shank on through?

It lost all of its petals, which stayed in the deer. The shank went clean through. While this is not the performance I want from a TSX, it is tough to call it a failure. It kinda is though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It seems to me that 3300 or so has been a good place to be with the Barnes and Nosler mono bullets without such a tendency to blow off all the petals.

Now with even more aplomb
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Igloo
We all know that good bullets in the right places get the job done, but what do you guys who like to hunt with 6mms/.243 cal rifles like to use the most? The 95gr BT seems to have a good following but are there newer, better bullets out there? Anyone try the 95gr LRX yet?

How big of an animal have you pushed your 6mm to? And how big WOULD you go?

Interested as the caliber is not one I've ever played with and they look like a lot of juice for the squeeze, especially the 6 ARC from a bolt gun.

Early in life, the 6mm Remington had become by deer rifle 100 grain core lock bullets did well for me. Thirty years later I had settled on a CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel as a deer rifle. Not so secretly I wished this rifle was a 6mm Grendel. Six years later the 6mm Arc came out & apacnor drop in barrel for the CZ 527 was ordered. First deer season with the 6mm ARC I opted for the 108 grain elite hunter. At 254 yards the bullet made the high shoulder hit & the lights were turned out on the nicest 4x4 whitetail I had ever had an opportunity at.

Following season (last fall) I opted to go copper for what ever the reason. Had my sights on the 90 grain CX for that season. Trouble was the 90 grain CX was slow coming to market. So a 87 grain Absolute Hammer was settled on. Had two do tags & at 3000 FPS muzzle velocity the 87 grain Absolute Hammer was sent to take down the first doe with a heart lung shot. She did a 80 yard death run b4 piling up. an hour later a large doe presented herself at 100 yards only her neck & head were to be seen in the tall cover. cross hairs were settled on the base of her neck. The set trigger was set & when the trigger was touched the doe was back down in her bed.

Actually a fairly large number of good 6mm hunting bullets to choose from. Whether you are seeking Cup & core or a monolithic option, they're are numerous good options to be had. That is of you reload. Factory loaded ammo is less diverse.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JPro
It seems to me that 3300 or so has been a good place to be with the Barnes and Nosler mono bullets without such a tendency to blow off all the petals.
Keeping the petals may not be that critical or even that desired.

Some of the newer mono's, like Lehigh, Cutting Edge and Hammer, are designed to shed petals, core boring on thru. Check'em out.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
True, but it seems like there have been numerous complaints here concerning lightweight TTSX bullets at speeds over 3500 in smaller calibers (.244 & .257) that had less-than-stellar results in the field. The notion was that all petals blew off quickly with the remaining shank being rather small in diameter afterwards, behaving more like an FMJ in its continued path. Perhaps too much of a good thing. I'm thinking it was the 80gr TTSX bullets in .240Wby and .257Wby.

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JPro
True, but it seems like there have been numerous complaints here concerning lightweight TTSX bullets at speeds over 3500 in smaller calibers (.244 & .257) that had less-than-stellar results in the field. The notion was that all petals blew off quickly with the remaining shank being rather small in diameter afterwards, behaving more like an FMJ in its continued path. Perhaps too much of a good thing. I'm thinking it was the 80gr TTSX bullets in .240Wby and .257Wby.

While maybe not perfect, that flat front has to do some more damage than an unexpanded FMJ? Maybe they are small enough they don't destroy enough though..

Semper Fi
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 42 invisible), 2,348 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,228
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.