Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's not the ammo it's the gun. My Colt Light rifle repeatedly had misfires with factory ammo and handloads. I replaced the firing pin spring with one from Wolffs. No more misfires

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I usually buy 1 or 2 new rifles a year, scope them, then deer and elk hunt with them. After that 1st year I usually give them to one of my son's or SILs or grandkids. When I zero them before the season I always buy a box of CLs, along with power points and federal blue box. Always in 30-06, 308win, or 270win. I've had a few duds with corelokts. When that happens I throw the rest of the box in my reservoir and hunt with other brands. Never had a dud with either PPs or blue box.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
About 20 years ago my wife was shooting her 7mm08 at the range with Remington green box 140 grain Core-Lokt ammunition. One of the shots recoiled more and locked up the bolt. The bolt had to be hammered open. Clearly an overpressure round. Luckily no one was hurt. After that I was more skeptical of Remington ammo. I don't shoot much factory ammunition these days and have never run into that kind of problem with my handloads, but it shows that even in a controlled factory setting things can go seriously wrong.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by bowmanh
About 20 years ago my wife was shooting her 7mm08 at the range with Remington green box 140 grain Core-Lokt ammunition. One of the shots recoiled more and locked up the bolt. The bolt had to be hammered open. Clearly an overpressure round. Luckily no one was hurt. After that I was more skeptical of Remington ammo. I don't shoot much factory ammunition these days and have never run into that kind of problem with my handloads, but it shows that even in a controlled factory setting things can go seriously wrong.

I opened a box of 7x57 and noticed one round was not like the others. There was almost no neck tension and the bullet was set back. Pulled the bullet by hand. Neck was cracked on a brand new cartridge.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I haven't bought any Remington ammo in quite some time. The last I remember was Rem Core-lokt 30-06, 165gr. They shot fine but some of brass was dented, some looked like it was used before.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hate to be different but....I'd rather they focused on primers for now!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My experience, 40+ years as a match director, with all kinds of factory ammo is that not one company is exempt or never has or has had a mess up. So before you load up and go out blindly, check the ammo visually. It is always best to do a "plunk" test before you travel a long distance to shoot. Plus if traveling by plane put a crimp on your bullets, they can get some real rough handling in loading/unloading or transferring on an airplane.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I grew up shooting Remington ammo as it was made not far from where I grew up. I can count on one hand how many non-Remington boxes of ammo my dad bought. My late uncle worked there along with other family members I do t claim, anyways, my uncle used to get me Rem cod-locket for free. It was a $1 a box for him, but he would not let me pay him. Later on in my early 20’s when I discovered that better ammo existed, I made the switch. I have had loaded now for 5 years or so, so outside of pistol ammo, I mainly reload. I never had any Remington ammo not fire, misfire, etc., but it’s not my first choice, even for .22lr cheap plinking ammo.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,596
Posts18,511,323
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.