Deer season 1996 When i was 4 1/2 i was sitting in the woods with my dad, a decent buck comes by and he put’s his model 70 lightweight 30-06 on it, squeezes the trigger and nothing, runs the bolt quietly and again nothing, a third time nothing and that was enough time for the buck to decide to move on. Middle of that day at camp it was discovered that only 7 rounds of that box of 20 180grn Remington core-lokt’s had good primers and 13 failed to fire. After that my dad or myself never bought another round of Remington ammo for years. Both of us convincing ourselves we surely had one of the very few boxes that could have ever been like that we both started buying some Remington ammo to add to our stock piles again 7 or 8 years ago.

About 2 months ago i had picked up a 30-06 colt light rifle i was planning to send off to get the NULA stock and treatment but keep the factory 30-06 barrel as long as it shot good. Put a vx2 3-9 leupold on it and grabbed a box of 180grn core-lokt’s off the top of the 30-06 stack on my ammo shelf just to make sure the rifle was a good shooter before sending it in. I Went out to my shooting table and had it zeroed in 3 shots. Then decided to try a couple groups for fun. First shot, click, nothing. I proceed to shoot a 1 jagged hole 2 shot group and when i squeeze the third one nothing happens. Result was 6 of the box of 20 appeared to have bad primers. Ran them through another rifle to verify it wasn’t the colt.

Called Remington and they sent me a label, i sent the box back to them and a few days ago I received a new box of the same ammo. Nothing wrong with the customer service, but had it ruined a hunt a replacement box of ammo isn’t going to make anyone feel a lot better. I understand in a trophy hunting or limited opportunity hunt you should probably only use handloads or better ammunition than core-lokt. But at the same time i know a lot of people that do trust it.

At this point i’m really just laughing about how un believable it is that 27 years apart a dad and son get 2 boxes of the same exact ammo that apparently had several rounds with bad primers. I honestly don’t think i’ve ever had a single round of factory loaded centerfire ammo fail to fire except the occasional commodity grade 223. Is it more common than i think? Anyone had it with Remington in particular? Anyway’s, long story i just felt like telling.