Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I can't imagine why anyone would think using acid to clean a gun would be a good idea. GD

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I can't imagine why anyone would think using acid to clean a gun would be a good idea. GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by greydog

Especially a Kelbly's with an aluminum receiver!!!

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Are there gun owners who are really that stupid?
When there are so many products readily available that are specifically made for that purpose?
Really?

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Are there gun owners who are really that stupid?
When there are so many products readily available that are specifically made for that purpose?
Really?

Erik Cortina has advocated it's use on YouTube...

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Higginez
Kinda made me want a Dew.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've found a couple of really good products that don't seem to harm steel but one of them is fairly hazardous to humans. Have yet to find a product marketed as a gun carbon cleaner that really works.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I've found a couple of really good products that don't seem to harm steel but one of them is fairly hazardous to humans. Have yet to find a product marketed as a gun carbon cleaner that really works.

Have you tried iosso bore cleaner and iosso gun polish?

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Another really good cleaner is patch out.

I’ve developed a regimen that involves iosso bore cleaner, patch out, CLP (not to be confused with CLR) and Balistol.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
When I first read the thread title, I though the article was referring to Break Free CLP. Had to read again to differentiate CLR from CLP. I could see where inexperienced folks, not paying attention, could get confused.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

Have you tried iosso bore cleaner and iosso gun polish?

Yes. Abrasives have their place. They, however, affect the steel which is what I'm trying to avoid.

NRA Benefactor Member

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
When I saw the title I thought it was going to refer to the Colt Light Rifle. It made me curious as I couldn’t think of what might make them dangerous.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I saw it recommended for cleaning suppressors. Sounds like that’s a bad idea after all?

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by horse1
When I saw the title I thought it was going to refer to the Colt Light Rifle. It made me curious as I couldn’t think of what might make them dangerous.

Cleaning them with CLR……evidently. laugh

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 270jrk
I saw it recommended for cleaning suppressors. Sounds like that’s a bad idea after all?

I talked with Thunder Beast a few weeks ago about cleaning my 30 cal suppressor and they recommended CLR. Just don't soak where it screws on to the barrel.

Last edited by Deans; 08/14/23.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
CLR will turn Nitride a pink color......

I'll continue to use it on stainless breaks. It works. I've let them soak a while and haven't noticed issues...not even discoloration from etching or anything.

I tested it in a stainless bore. It didn't do much. I even plugged the bore and let it soak overnight. Baked hard carbon in a throat takes mechanical measures. I've yet to see a chemical remove it and I have since stopped buying chemicals to try after trying a bunch of "the best" I rather run a few patches with abrasive through the throat than countless brush strokes.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 270jrk
I used it to clean my Titanium SAS suppressor and it took days and the use of an ultra sonic cleaner to get all the carbon out. Granted that was after approx. 10,000 rounds through the suppressor. And actually what sped up the process was me pounding on the outside of the suppressor with a rubber mallet that loosened up and broke chunks free after a couple days of soaking in CLR. Eventually got it cleaned and now I plan to clean it a little more regularly, so I avoid such thick build-up.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Mauser06
CLR will turn Nitride a pink color......

I'll continue to use it on stainless breaks. It works. I've let them soak a while and haven't noticed issues...not even discoloration from etching or anything.

I tested it in a stainless bore. It didn't do much. I even plugged the bore and let it soak overnight. Baked hard carbon in a throat takes mechanical measures. I've yet to see a chemical remove it and I have since stopped buying chemicals to try after trying a bunch of "the best" I rather run a few patches with abrasive through the throat than countless brush strokes.

Try Carbon off, a product for cleaning baked on grease on pots and pans. In 30 minutes with n 2 applications it removed a carbon ring for me that was spiking pressure. Only thing I've found that removes carbon from injector nozzles without agitation or ultrasound

NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (10ring1, 19rabbit52, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 77 invisible), 3,192 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,629
Posts18,533,189
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.