Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I have an older Kifaru, it was custom made by the factory when they were still in Arvada, CO. Not even sure of the model, but about 4000cu-in if I had to guess. It's worn out, padding is gone, belt foam is shot, had it refurbished by the Kifaru once already (for free). I'm not digging their new packs, but have nothing against them, it's been a great pack, and has seen an honest 700+ miles of hard use.

I'd like something 4000cu-in range (+/-) with pockets and capable of carrying an elk quarter out without dumping the contents. It will be used for overnight hikes in the summer and as a day pack with elk hauling capability during hunting season. (I have a great KUIU Divide 3000 dedicated day pack - highly recommended).

Has to be under six pounds all in, preferably 4-5 lbs.
Pockets and side entry into main compartment - not a fan of the top load garage bag design.
Compressible when not full
Quiet material
Natural color or camo

Had an Eberlestock, no way again, it was super heavy and bulky. I don't need a rifle scabbard or bow scabbard either.

I'm pretty standard sized, 5-11, 185 pounds, fit

What does the fire recommend?

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have been very happy with my Stone Glacier 5900/ X-curve

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I’ve been using a Seek Outside Peregrine for the last 4 years. I’ve used packs since I was 14 and have owned a bunch of them. This is the best one so far. Waterproof, lightweight, and made in Colorado.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another for the 5900 SG with xcurve frame.

Yup.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
With the specs you mentioned above, take a peek at the Mystery Ranch Metcalf.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Exo Gear checks all those boxes. The new K4 just dropped and it is supposedly a slight upgrade but having owned all the top end packs, except Stone Glacier, I have a hard time believing its better than the K3. I've packed 2-3 elk and a deer or 2 and it is solid.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Used the K3 quit a bit, and for me, the K4 is definitely better.

At first I didn’t think so, but the more I wear/adjust it, it definitely rides better on me than the K3. It might replace the SG.

Originally Posted by bwinters
Exo Gear checks all those boxes. The new K4 just dropped and it is supposedly a slight upgrade but having owned all the top end packs, except Stone Glacier, I have a hard time believing its better than the K3. I've packed 2-3 elk and a deer or 2 and it is solid.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good info! I have all the bags and doodads I need on my K3. I'd hate to start over. I'm glad to see they made the small bag a bit bigger. I find the K3 1850 bag to be a bit small for day hunting..

The other reason I the Exo is the frame length fits. I have a short torso for a guy and the Exo fits very well.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by handwerk

Another vote. About to put mine on and head out the door.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The 2200 is a little better, but could have been a home run if the side pockets had external pleats instead of the internal.

I have a pretty short torso length as well.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I appreciate the replies gentlemen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jedi_Swagger
With the specs you mentioned above, take a peek at the Mystery Ranch Metcalf.

THIS

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I love my Mystery Ranch Sawtooth it’s just big enough for a weekend & hauls 80lbs+ so well it’s shocking to me. The lightweight frame is well thought out & it makes a very nice seated rifle rest.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by handwerk

Another vote. About to put mine on and head out the door.

+1 My main day pack or overnight is an EVO 3300/X-curve but the 5900 would fit the bill perfectly.

Semper Fi

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Like many here, I've gone thru more backpacks than I care to recount. I have finally settled on the Barneys external Pinnacle pack system. For me, the external frame gives me the stability for heavier loads - be it gear or meat. My second choice was the Stone Glacier system.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 09/01/23.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Like many here, I've gone thru more backpacks than I care to recount. I have finally settled on the Barneys external Pinnacle pack system. For me, the external frame gives me the stability for heavier loads - be it gear or meat. My second choice was the Stone Glacier system.

While I like your choice in pack your reading comprehension sucks balls. Did you not read what he was looking for? You literally recommended the complete opposite. He’s looking for around 4000 cubic inches and you recommend an 8500 in pack. He wanted to stay under 6 lbs and you literally recommended the heaviest option out there.

If you’re married it’s not going to be for long…

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SeldomSeenSmith
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

While I like your choice in pack your reading comprehension sucks balls. Did you not read what he was looking for? You literally recommended the complete opposite. He’s looking for around 4000 cubic inches and you recommend an 8500 in pack. He wanted to stay under 6 lbs and you literally recommended the heaviest option out there.

If you’re married it’s not going to be for long…

Been there done that with packs I thought I wanted sized for the trip. Barneys external settles the problem as packing air is quite light. Too many times I've wished to have a bigger pack. A pack this size gives me options with an overnight bivy setup too - as half the time I am on a solo hunt. At his guesstimate of 4,000 cu. inches, he may have a hard time with an elk quarter - especially without being deboned. An external frame will pack better in rugged terrain as the "dead weight" shifts. Oh and I'll be married 40 years next spring. Have a successful hunting season.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 09/09/23.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
R
R
A Mystery Ranch Selway will meet your needs. They weight right at 5 lbs and carry 3783 ci. You can easily modify the pack to accommodate a daypack lid. That will give you another 700 ci.

R
R
4,000 Cubic inch..

Kifaru (the kind that you like anyway, like me) would be a Siwash, or Navigator or AG1 for the Duplex frame version. Those are 4,000ci on the nose, panel loaders with a sleeping bag compartment. No longer made, which makes me roll my eyes a lot.

A Hill People Ute is about the same size, a bit bigger, top-loader. Their Decker Pack frame can come with whatever size bag you want. I like the Hill Brothers, good dudes.

Mystery Ranch, lots of options. I like the overload a LOT. If I were buying 1 Pack, it would probably be the Marshall. The bag design is descended from the Dana Terraplane, (Find a vintage one that has intact padding, buy it, if you hate it, call me...) and the 6500. The tube pouches just seem to work well for my gear, as does the sleeping bag compartment, I can do short trips with just that and the lid without the main compartment, and it compresses well. Surprisingly well. Yep, bigger than 4,000 ci...

If that 4,000 ci is hard and fast (like me in my 20s) then 65L is your volume, the MR Bridger lines up. I haven't carried one...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 222ND, 2003and2013, 163bc, 63 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,790
Posts18,477,303
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.