Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by CRS
Yes, the percentage increase is going to differ between diameter and frontal area.

Put the majority of hunting bullets, at normal velocities, in the right place and you will have the same result. A full freezer. No matter the diameter, within reason of course.

I like my 338-06's, but must admit that I shoot the majority of my stuff with a 270. Gasp! another 0.03" smaller in diameter vs a 308, or 0.06" smaller than a 338!
wink grin laugh crazy smirk cool
Yes, run a .270 for deer sized game and a .338 for anything bigger than deer sized game stopping at when you use a .458 for heavy dangerous game

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Originally Posted by CRS
Yes, the percentage increase is going to differ between diameter and frontal area.

Put the majority of hunting bullets, at normal velocities, in the right place and you will have the same result. A full freezer. No matter the diameter, within reason of course.

I like my 338-06's, but must admit that I shoot the majority of my stuff with a 270. Gasp! another 0.03" smaller in diameter vs a 308, or 0.06" smaller than a 338!
Yes, run a .270 for deer sized game and a .338 for anything bigger than deer sized game stopping at when you use a .458 for heavy dangerous game

Just to be a contrarian, what's the difference to the hunter between "heavy dangerous game" and just "dangerous game" if one is an elaphant and the other a brown bear or lion? For example: On safari, would a hunter be compelled to change weapons if both ele and lion were on his agenda? He might choose to carry two rifles, but does he need to? In Alaska, a solo resident hunter may have several licenses in brown bear country: Would a majority be toting a .270 or something bigger... how much "bigger" to make a difference?

Bob
www.bigbore.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have to draw the line at 416 for heavy dangerous game. That is as big a cartridge I can shoot comfortably and accurately. After having shot a bunch of 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, 404 Jeffery (2nd favorite), 458 Winchester and Lott.

I have stated this before, I would comfortably take one of my 338-06's for anything huntable, with the exception of elephant or rhino. I do not see the extra 200 fps of the RPM as a huge advantage.

Arcus Venator
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by CZ550
Originally Posted by CRS

Just to be a contrarian, what's the difference to the hunter between "heavy dangerous game" and just "dangerous game" if one is an elaphant and the other a brown bear or lion? For example: On safari, would a hunter be compelled to change weapons if both ele and lion were on his agenda? He might choose to carry two rifles, but does he need to? In Alaska, a solo resident hunter may have several licenses in brown bear country: Would a majority be toting a .270 or something bigger... how much "bigger" to make a difference?

Bob
www.bigbore.ca
Heavy dangerous game in Africa are elephant, rhino, buffalo, hippo. In other places you would probably include any of the bovine species if they were huntable such as gaur, banteng, other buffalo, feral bulls etc. Dangerous game would include (if they were huntable) tiger, jaguar, lion leopard, crocodile, brown/grizzly/polar bears, not sure about gator, not sure about cougar. Now if I could hunt gaur in the jungles of Cambodia, that would be the ultimate for me.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 08/13/23.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by CRS
I have to draw the line at 416 for heavy dangerous game. That is as big a cartridge I can shoot comfortably and accurately. After having shot a bunch of 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, 404 Jeffery (2nd favorite), 458 Winchester and Lott.

I have stated this before, I would comfortably take one of my 338-06's for anything huntable, with the exception of elephant or rhino. I do not see the extra 200 fps of the RPM as a huge advantage.
A .416 that you can shoot well would be better than a .458 that you can't. And when I say a .458, I mean a .458 that can launch a 500 grain projectile at 2300 fps from a cold barrel using a non-compressed load of a temperature-stable powder.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 08/13/23.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The thread died without any load data being discussed for the Barnes 160 ttsx. Can't find anything with a search for this bullet in the RPM.

I plan to shoot that in a somewhat mild load for 90% of my hunting. I'll shoot a 200 Nosler Accubond for a "heavy" load, mostly in case I need to cross a canyon. Both loads will need to shoot same POI or something easy to extrapolate to make subconscious use a breeze. Here's mine ready to roll.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The conversation about the need for this cartridge or this vs a 338 Magnum leaves the rifle out of the discussion. The package is what makes this attractive. It's a mountain hunting setup. For me what makes this attractive is the ability to load it down to 338 Federal velocities for everyday use, and have backup heavy loads for longer shots or larger game in my pack or pocket. I'll less frequently need a 338 RPM per se than I will a 338 Federal proxy so I'll use it as a 338 Federal primarily.

Just a curiosity at this point, but the 338 RPM brass cycles perfectly through a Kimber 84L Classic Select currently barreled in 25-06. Might explore a rebarrel if the RPM turns out to be a winner.

LOL
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I think readers prefer first hand experiences to absorb and digest rather than demanded acceptance of opinion.

Tends to remove the pomposity and make the time seem better spent.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Just looking at the Weathetby specs for a 24" barrel it records less velocity than my Weatherby Mark V in .338 Winchester in all bullet weights, so I guess the argumemt is down to rifle weight which doesn't exactly favor recoil.

Or increased muzzle blast if you prefer shorter barrels.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by CRS

A .416 that you can shoot well would be better than a .458 that you can't. And when I say a .458, I mean a .458 that can launch a 500 grain projectile at 2300 fps from a cold barrel using a non-compressed load of a temperature-stable powder.

Interesting sugestion on the .458 at 2300fps? What load have you developed that achieves this and using which 500grain bullet?

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Dat be a hell for stout load Kingfish!

Old guy, old guns.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by CRS

Interesting sugestion on the .458 at 2300fps? What load have you developed that achieves this and using which 500grain bullet?
Any .458 caliber cartridge that can launch a 500 grain projectile at 2300. I didn't say .458 Winchester. The load is the same load discussed on another thread, which I believe you contributed to. To refresh your memory, 105 grains H4350 in a Dakota or Rigby case, but a .404 case necked up to .458 would be better.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 01/14/24.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Fireball2
The conversation about the need for this cartridge or this vs a 338 Magnum leaves the rifle out of the discussion. The package is what makes this attractive. It's a mountain hunting setup. For me what makes this attractive is the ability to load it down to 338 Federal velocities for everyday use, and have backup heavy loads for longer shots or larger game in my pack or pocket. I'll less frequently need a 338 RPM per se than I will a 338 Federal proxy so I'll use it as a 338 Federal primarily.

Just a curiosity at this point, but the 338 RPM brass cycles perfectly through a Kimber 84L Classic Select currently barreled in 25-06. Might explore a rebarrel if the RPM turns out to be a winner.
Will a .338 barrel result in the Kimber being too muzzle heavy? A reduced load in a 338 RPM might result in the need to adjust for both windage and elevation when switching loads in the field. Plus, you often won't have time in the field to switch loads when you see an animal, should you have full-power loads and prefer light loads or visa-versa. I'd just use the one load and get used to that one load. Grab something like a .270 in more open areas or .308 with 150's in tighter country for lighter game.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 01/14/24.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Will a .338 barrel result in the Kimber being too muzzle heavy? A reduced load in a 338 RPM might result in the need to adjust for both windage and elevation when switching loads in the field. Plus, you often won't have time in the field to switch loads when you see an animal, should you have full-power loads and prefer light loads or visa-versa. I'd just use the one load and get used to that one load. Grab something like a .270 in more open areas or .308 with 150's in tighter country for lighter game.

If you use a lighter bullet in .338 than you would for larger game at longer ranges, it may be possible to adjust powders and velocities so they have the same basic trajectory with less recoil. I have two goto loads for my .35 Whelen that I carry in the stock cartridge holder. They hit at the same POI at 100. My all-around hunting load is a 225 AB at 2840 fps, and a special bear load for close range over bait is the 300gr Barnes Original at 2355 fps without any changes to scope setting. Obviously, the 225gr is much flatter shooting beyond 100 yds than the "slow moving" 300gr. Different powders are used. I just published the results on yesterday's blog.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Will a .338 barrel result in the Kimber being too muzzle heavy?

I would prefer a little more weight up front on the Kimber, but you may be right. All depends on how it finishes out I suppose.

LOL
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Elmer Keith was spot-on about the versatility of the .33 caliber cartridges for all of Alaska. To this day, I don't think a hunter could do any better.

Here are a few examples:

Scores of high BC 225 grain grain premium bullets to choose from. Whereas the 30 calibers have limited options in the 220 grain territory and are generally potato-shaped. They also don't expand very wide, not like the .338 225 grain offerings.

I stay at 200 grain bullets in my 30 caliber rifles, and more specifically, the oryx.

So where the 30 caliber cartridges end, the .338's are just getting warmed up.

Then on the other end of the spectrum, the .338 275 grain swift A-frame is a deep penetrating, wide expanding .338 bullet that hangs right along side the 300 grain Swifts and 325 grain oryx bullets in my 9.3x62.

My .338, the scope is sighted to 225 grain interbonds or 225 grain fusions. Both match up well to a ballistic reticle to 500 yds. Then the open sights are always sighted to a 275 grain a-frame handload. In a light rifle, they are at the limit of manageable recoil where a shooter can have a meaningful shooting session at extended range.

In treeless winter caribou hunting where the bag limits offer multiple caribou for rural Alaskan residents, the .338's with high bc 225 grain bullets, is an ideal choice. We're talking constant 20-30 mph gusts, and ranges of 300-400 yds are common. Though I've used my 9.3x62 in these conditions, I would've much preferred the 338-06.

The lone 250 grain 9.3 accubond never worked out: 4.5" groups from 2 of my 9.3x62 Mauser rifles. Greg(north61) got bad groups with the 250 accubond as well. Then, they're never in stock, probably discontinued.

Anyhow, here is a 225 grain fusion next to a 30 caliber 220 grain partition. It penetrated within 1/4" of the partition in spruce boards. Had massive expansion, and superb weight retention. With groups always well under an inch, a true sleeper of a bullet @ $18 a box of 50:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good comparison's Mainer.

Love the 338's myself.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
One reason I did not pick the 338 RPM to rechamber to in my 338/06 A-Square Mark V ( I went with the Ackley Improved, just for the small increase in speed and the niftiness of shape!) is that it IS too close to the Win Mag. I like to hit game hard, but I find I don't care anymore for the whole boot n bellow and the extra weight of a rifle in 338 Mag. I like this Mark V because it is slim and light, yet its muzzlebrake tames the recoil quite well. Noise? What noise? I wear Electric Muffs at the range. If everyone stands or gets behind me (where they belong!) it won't bother any of us out in the field for a shot or two on game.

I can see where the 338 RPM is a good cartridge, probably more useful in the USA than the Win Mag, but hey, to each his own.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did some shooting of the 338 RPM today. This is the 18" barrel with the brake installed. Scoped with a Primary Arms GLx 2.5-10. Trigger is light, no creep, breaks clean. Chevron center aiming point in scope is very good for fine work on 10x. Does not obscure the bullseye, it's below it. Brake does an excellent job managing recoil. None of the loads I tried are what I would consider harsh with the brake installed. Very nice to shoot with hearing protection, Walkers. Had a few positives for load development and quite a few not good groups. Did not set up the chronograph. Some of the light loads shooting 160 Barnes ttsx shot well enough and are either overlapping the 200 Accubond loads or close to it. I did not hit nervana but it's what I would consider reasonable progress. Here's a few targets.

Last edited by Fireball2; 01/23/24.

LOL
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks like a great start.

Semper Fi
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1minute, 222ND, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,794
Posts18,516,128
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.