Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Over the last week, the "news" has been reporting on an established pack of wolves in central California, Tulare county,
The "news" has been carful to avoid the question of where they came from, but have been insinuating it all natural.
Reporting as "200 miles south of any known pack.

I call B.S.

#1, more like 500+ miles.

This natural pack of wolves would have had to cross or pass by;
Lake Tahoe,
Yosemite national park ( more tourist per square mile than Graceland)
The Kings Canyon and Kings river.
Kings Canyon national park (more tourist)
Sequoia national park (more tourist)

No, this pack was captured and re-located.

Time will tell, but I think the wolf hugger stepped in it this time.

All of the problems wolves have caused in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho have just been released
within 200 miles of 20 million people.

MOLON LABE
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only good wild dog is a dead one

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Anaconda ,

I don't doubt your assumption one bit, nor yours Joel.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Gray wolves began natural recolonization of California beginning in 2011; the first pack was the Shasta Pack in 2015 (no longer active). Today there are three confirmed packs in northern California: Whaleback Pack (Siskiyou County), Lassen Pack (southern Lassen/northern Plumas counties), Beckwourth Pack (Plumas and Sierra counties). There may be an unknown number of individual wolves that have dispersed from packs or adjacent states."

Link

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
They should relocate them to San Francisco and LA. The leftists want wolves let them have wolves.

Bb

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Anaconda
Over the last week, the "news" has been reporting on an established pack of wolves in central California, Tulare county, ...
T
No, this pack was captured and re-located. ...

All of the problems wolves have caused in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho have just been released
within 200 miles of 20 million people.

Anaconda, I'd bet you are correct. My wife and I owned a cabin up on the western slope of the Sierra in Tulare Country, Panorama Heights, for 31 years. Altitude was 5,800'. Our three acres were bounded on the west and north sides by the Sequoia Nat'l Forest. The Sequoia Nat'l. Forest is huge. I have deer hunted that area for 30 years, and we've hiked those mountains for all that time we owned the cabin and property.

Not once did we ever see a wolf, any tracks, any sign of a wolf, no howls, whatsoever. They were not there. If they are there now, they had to have been introduced.

That entire area is full of vacation homes, cabins, etc. The lower elevations are serious cattle ranching country. If there were wolves naturally there, SOMEONE would have spoken about it and it would have been no secret they were around in the forest and mountains.

Huh uh. They were trucked in by ...... ?????

FWIW.

L.W.

Last edited by Leanwolf; 08/13/23.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The greenies and democrats are just running rough shod over us and we ain’t doing chit about it 🤦🏻‍♂️ Fuggin sad what my home state has become. SSS.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is no doubt that at least some of those - if not all - have been planted. Once they are well planted and under protection by "bureacrat authorities", the fact that they were smuggled in is rather immaterial. Such authorities seem to have zero obligation to tell the truth.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
They were trucked in by .... ?????

Kali Dept of Fish and Wildlife

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lots of them…

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Imagine the pearl clutching when wolves eat a mountain lion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 19352012

LOL. I suspect that battle would might go the other way.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Drill down in moorewood’s link and you’ll find some interesting notes on wuffs found dead. Been some downed and the shoot and shutup part of sss was followed.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The DNR in MI denied mountain lions existed here even after they were killed on the roads. The DNR claimed that they were escaped pets😳 They also said that even though we didn’t have any that if we did that shooting one was a crime. It wasn’t until trail cams became a big thing and they were showing up on cameras that the DNR acknowledged that they’re are wild mountain lions here.

Still no evidence of a breeding population supposedly. Just cats that wonder over here from ND and wonder back without breeding.

We had a well documented wolverine in mid Michigan. The DNR still refused that it migrated here naturally. They’re theory was that it got transplanted here in a garage truck from Canada.

And the DNR still claims that wolves mostly feed on beavers and have a minimal impact on deer populations.

I wouldn’t trust the state at all. I’m not familiar with that side of the country but supposedly wolves can cover up to 100 miles per day and will cover 50 routinely. It doesn’t seem a huge stretch that they could have came down from rural eastern WA and OR.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Or Gavin’s little foo foo dog!

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Morewood

Not so much. I recall when wolves were introduced into Idaho thirty years back at least one pack would methodically track a given mountain lion to repeatedly steal its kills. Eventually catching and killing the weakened lion. They would repeat the process with the next one they came across.

Seems it’s a general thing….

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scie...own-mountain-lion-populations-180976775/

Do lions ever drag prey up into trees like leopards? Seems like it might help if they did.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't doubt for a minute they got to Tulare county by themselves, unobserved until now. Having traversed long stretches of that territory on foot, a good amount of it off the beaten path (John Muir trail etc), I figure traveling at night (as wolves like to do) through the territory I hiked in, they'd not have a hard time going unnoticed for awhile.

What "they" are not saying is how big the packs further north are, forcing the youngsters to form their own packs and move out. And the odds are good "they" are not going to let us little people know, and every once in awhile a new pack, or a loner, will show up on someone's trail cam or doorbell cam at a cabin.

According to the report the breeding male is linked to the Lassen Pack. There's photographic evidence of wolves, not in the Lassen group, in other areas of NorCal. Easy enough for me to believe a young male kicked out of that pack and forming up with a female from one of the other packs and starting off on a journey south. Unobserved until now.

For years there were reports of wolverines in the Sierras, most folks didn't believe them until photo evidence showed up.

We had the same issue back in the 60's and 70's with reports of bears in the backcountry mountains of SoCal near the Mexican border.

The packs in NorCal have grown to the point they're spreading out and I, for one, have no issue with seeing them do so unaided by trucks and humans. They'll do just fine by themselves.

FYI, no, I don't support the spread of them unless they are managed as game animals and populations kept in check. We have enough issues here with the inability of control the population of cougars. I was just mentioning to my wife today it will be interesting if a pack(s) get established south of the San Gabriels as the deer populations there would not be happy with that idea.

Last edited by Valsdad; 08/13/23.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Morewood
1on 1, yeah.

Depends on the size of the pack, I suppose.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I've told the story on here 10 times, there were wolves in deep SW Idaho in 2007.
Measured on Google Earth SW Idaho to NE California is 200 miles as the crow flies.
Beaver10 said there's proof of wolves in western Oregon, they've been there for quite a while.

20 years ago a husband and wife were selling a remote cabin about 1/3 of the way across Washington state [from east to west] . Just North of the Oregon state line. They had clear video of a pair of wolves near the cabin, 2002 - 2003 time-frame.
There are wolves in 40+ states.
I saw one feeding on a stinky big boar hog at the hunting lease I was in - 18 miles north of Panama City Beach, Florida.
Two trusted non-BS'ers types and their hunting friends have heard wolves howling in Missouri.
over.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I've told the story on here 10 times, there were wolves in deep SW Idaho in 2007.
Measured on Google Earth SW Idaho to NE California is 200 miles as the crow flies.
Beaver10 said there's proof of wolves in western Oregon, they've been there for quite a while.

20 years ago a husband and wife were selling a remote cabin about 1/3 of the way across Washington state [from east to west] . Just North of the Oregon state line. They had clear video of a pair of wolves near the cabin, 2002 - 2003 time-frame.
There are wolves in 40+ states.
I saw one feeding on a stinky big boar hog at the hunting lease I was in - 18 miles north of Panama City Beach, Florida.
Two trusted non-BS'ers types and their hunting friends have heard wolves howling in Missouri.
over.

There have been three wolves killed in Missouri and documented by the MDC within the last 30 years or so. All were traced by DNA to the wolf packs in the upper midwest areas of Wisconsin and Michigan or Minnesota. I think all were young males. I seem to remember one of them weighed 104 pounds.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (1eyedmule, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 76 invisible), 3,512 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,635
Posts18,533,319
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.