Print Thread
Hop To
G
Glynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I kinda inherited a 30-30 from my brother and have been musing about upgrades. He had already put a Skinner peep on it and we changed the crossbolt safety to one of those fake screw heads.

Then I got a Rangerpoint medium lever which really made the gun feel better, the original was pretty tight for my hands.

Who likes a hammer extension even though there is no scope hanging over it??

GB1

jar Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 5 different marlin lever guns and 4 different browning blr and they all have hammer spurs. just like the feel of them better.

teach your children well , ride hard, shoot straight, be involved!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I wouldn't have one on if not necessary myself. If you decide you need one avoid the Grov-Tec/Uncle Mikes round steel ones. They slow down lock time noticeably.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My Marlin has a JM marked hammer extension on it. It really helps manipulating the hammer on a low mounted scope. Getting hard to find, but still some around.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Ranger point precision has very nice hammer extensions. If you have scoped a lever action the extension is the only way to go.
Have a great day.
Jim

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by jar
I have 5 different marlin lever guns and 4 different browning blr and they all have hammer spurs. just like the feel of them better.

Once again I like to use the term "Different Strokes" as I use a hammer spur myself for over 40 years on my Marlin .375 Win and even though it's intended for use of a scope as it makes it easier to get to the hammer as the clearance is almost nil as pic. by SS336 indicates, I like mine on the left side as it feels better for me with open sights and being right handed it just works for me that way as I like to place my right thumb over the Hammer upon cocking.

Originally Posted by SS336
My Marlin has a JM marked hammer extension on it. It really helps manipulating the hammer on a low mounted scope. Getting hard to find, but still some around.

HS 58

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 08/06/23.

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I wouldn't have one on if not necessary myself. If you decide you need one avoid the Grov-Tec/Uncle Mikes round steel ones. They slow down lock time noticeably.

You're worried about LOCK TIME in a lever action?

Hip

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
Originally Posted by Blackheart

You're worried about LOCK TIME in a lever action?

Hip
You bet. And you should be too if you hunt on your feet using your lever guns while still hunting or tracking. In that case accuracy while shooting offhand is vital to your success and lock time and a good trigger are two of the most critical aspects to good offhand shooting. If most of your shots are close range from a rest in your blind or tree stand don't worry about it. Lock time and a crappy trigger don't matter much then.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Yep. You’d THINK Ruger would wise up, and stsrt producing these, again. At a sales price of $30-$50 a pop, they could probably do alright…

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Had a couple of extras but I think I sold them over at Marlin Owners site!

Hip

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
They are better for cold weather and gloves.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fburgtx

Yep. You’d THINK Ruger would wise up, and stsrt producing these, again. At a sales price of $30-$50 a pop, they could probably do alright…

I hope your being sarcastic

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Prices were going up a few years ago! I;m talking about the ones with JM on them.

Hip

G
Glynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I got one of the Rangerpoint offerings for 25 bucks, older ones were going for 60 on ebay. Going to try it for awhile and see if it stays.

I did take a file to the corner edge back towards the shooter. My carpel/tingling in my thumb made it a little uncomfortable but good now.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,084
Posts18,482,814
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.