Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
So I’ve caught a snail that put up a great fight. The clam was better. Also have hooked into a hellgrammite. Other than that an occasional rock or two. Turtles are a pain.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Solitario_Lupo; 08/14/23.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I caught part of a broken dinner plate a few months ago 😂 That was up there on the list of weird stuff. I've caught a few shirts and a flip flop one time over the years.

I get a lot of stupid softshell turtles when I'm catfishing. Most of them are pretty small, but once in a while a bigger one. Feels like pulling up a cast iron pan, tumbling in the water.

Caught the biggest golden shiner I've ever seen on a micro spinnerbait out crappie fishing on 4th of July.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A few years ago I caught one of the biggest crawdads I have ever seen that put up a decent fight. Was using worms at the time. My son caught a Chinese Rock Fish in Sitka, Alaska and on the same trip caught a 40 lbs. halibut when trolling for Kings.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Striped burrfish.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mussel/clam whatever you call it on a beetle spin once. Line must have crossed while he was open.

Part of a rusty car door in the creek.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 08/16/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Reeled in a used condom from a local pond that has some good bass in it. I practiced catch and release! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Caught a set of brass cowbells (once commonly used for lake trout fishing) complete with brass dodger and weight, plus about 60' of steel line, in Munising Bay on Lake Superior back in the 80's.

Also back then, we would occasionally catch white suckers on the original type Rapalas, trolled for walleye and pike.

My kids still laugh about the time one if them reeled in a crayfish and it pinched me hard enough to make me yelp.

More recently, anyone fishing Little Traverse Bay in the Petoskey area stands a chance of hooking into the King salmon that took my buddy's 11" flasher and fly while he and I were trolling last week.

Last edited by bruinruin; 08/18/23.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Trolling a lake in Montana about 10 years ago that I have fished often over the years... snagged a monofilament line and pulled it up to reveal an old rod, reel, and jig. Later cleaned it up to reveal a Loomis GMX cork handled spinning rod as well as a Shimano Spirex reel.The cork was rotting on the rod... I called Loomis and they said to send it in with $50 and they would send me an identical new rod, no questions asked! The Spirex cleaned up nicely and works well to this day!

Somebody had a bad day! I have as well (had a backpack stolen from a cleaning station that had pop gear, dodgers, and 2 Zebco Cardinal reels!) I figure I am about "even" overall. I have yet to take that rod and reel back to that particular lake! Bad karma...

Usually I just snag underwater branches.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Not a catch, but setting up for someone else to maybe catch...

Downrigger rod holder failed and we launched the rod/reel combo off the back of the boat like a torpedo! The line release held for a bit and we almost got it all back, but then that went too! Expensive lesson to learn, pay a lot more attention to rod holders now. All we could do is look at each other and shrug our shoulders.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My sister's old boyfriend caught a dead body. He could never touch the end of his line after that. He loved to go fishing but wouldn't bait his hook or anything to do with the far end of his line. I always felt bad for him so it never bothered me to help him out

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Caught a boot once in Lake Anna Virginia. Luckily no foot still inside. Friend of mine caught a crack pipe in the Cherry river in Wva .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We used to fish walleye at night on this very popular recreational watercraft lake. My buddy would always set his line too deep and the only things he caught were stuff on the bottom. He literally caught most of an outfit one weekend. A shoe, a sweatshirt, a pair of pants. The shoe was awesome. He actually hooked a snell that was snagged on the shoe so the shoe could move back and forth and he thought it was a huge walleye. He was saying GET THE NET, GET THE NET! Then it came to the surface and he yelled, A [bleep] shoe! Wellibegotohell, a [bleep] shoe! I laughed for 3 days. This was 20 years ago and I still say I bet it's a shoe whenever he says to get the net. He found Jesus so he's a lot cleaner talking now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This one is not a catch, but definitely a but strange. Earlier this year, my buddy and I were fishing Lake Michigan between Petoskey and Charlevoix, when we spotted dozens of water birds feeding along the scum line. I motored towards it with an eye on the graph. The hope was that there would be fish feeding there. Instead of fish, the only thing we found was a freshly dead whitetail fawn, floating in the blue water, about a mile from shore.

I snapped a picture and moved on.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Can’t believe it but caught another snail on Saturday and a couple of these snappers.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
This.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Earlier this summer I was fishing a deep bend where the ve caught a whole bunch of different fish and couldn’t be surprised to catch just about anything.

I was fishing a big tube and something long and sleek followed, and so instead of pulling it out of the water I let it drop a bit and BAM! I set the hook and it ran with power and speed that made me immediately wonder if the northern I thought had taken my lure was something else altogether!

My suspicion was confirmed when it got across the river from me and porpoised; it was a river otter!! I pointed my rod straight at it and the hook straightened a bit and popped free. I call that “otter bend” now!

Same spot this summer I caught a clam on a ned rig, and my son caught a soft shelled turtle there as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Caught a few snapping turtles over the years and bullfrog on popping bugs are fun

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by SS336
Striped burrfish.

What is that?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Coyote, put up a hell of a fight that ended with a baseball bat to its head, PINS Park Rangers really don't like it and will fine you for coyote fishing now after complaints from liberels.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

302 members (280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 43 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,223
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.